Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
MacRumors Forums have been upgraded to the latest version of vBulletin (3.0).

The new version has a lot of new features... so explore a bit. Feedback and Suggestions may be posted in this forum (Site and Forum Feedback).

If you would like to test out new features, post them in the Testing Forum.

Style and Graphics

The new forum has a new look, which is more inline with the MacRumors front-page style. The new style is not set in stone, and is a work in progress. The old styles (Mac OS X and the purple default style) are no longer available for use.

Many of the graphics (buttons, smilies) are not ideal and will hopefully be updated in the near future.

Features

Lots of new features, so look around. A few notes:

- Avatars are still only available to users with 500 posts or more
- Use these icons:
collapse_tcat.gif
to collapse views/forum listings you are not interested in
- New threaded/hybrid views for threads allow you to see discussions in a hierarchical structure. This will only be useful for new threads, as the old vbulletin did not keep track of which posts were replied to.

Searching

Searching will be broken for now while the search index rebuilds.

arn

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
This is going to take some getting used to.

I like the old forums because they looked different from all the other forum pages I have found on the internet. It set Mac Rumors apart, so-to-speak.

Suggestion: is it possible to make the smilies more "colorful"? I don't like this all blue style of things, everything seems to much like monochrome. More color would be very nice. It just all seems too bright.

I know this probably took some effort on your part, arn, so good job, but I still think things are just too.....blue.

Anyway, nice work.

Edit: Ahh! My 'macrumors 6502" status is gone! I miss that!

StudioGuy

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2003
Main Page problem

Tried logging out (which said cookies were cleared) and logging back in again, and still can't get the main macrumors.com page to come up. Instead I get redirectly to the /members/ directory like normal, but there is a text message saying:
--
MacRumors.com - No Ad Member Area

You have been redirected to the no-ads Member area of MacRumors.com. If this was a mistake, return to Mac Rumors. The no-ad area is for MacRumors users who have contributed to the site
--
and so on. Tried the instructions, still to no avail. I know you're just getting it on line, but thought I'd mention it.

at least that's what i'm seeing.

looking forward to looking around later,
StudioGuy.

stoid

macrumors 601
Yeah, hopefully we'll get a new design option in a few weeks or so, as it smacks of Windows XP :eek: Best part of the change: the new thread and new post buttons are NOT right next to each other!! It will take a bit of getting used to, but hey OS X took a little while to get used to from 9, and I like the new way MUCH better :p

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Yeah... the members area is not working at the moment... am working on it.

arn

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
sethypoo said:
Suggestion: is it possible to make the smilies more "colorful"? I don't like this all blue style of things, everything seems to much like monochrome. More color would be very nice. It just all seems too bright.

Graphics are not final. See the original post.

arn

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
South Windsor, CT
sethypoo said:
I like the old forums because they looked different from all the other forum pages I have found on the internet.

i 100% disagree. they all look the same, besides colors.

anyway, i think the new look is great. it doesn't hurt my eyes anymore.

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
Im not bashing the new design, but I personally like the older one better with the darker interface. Though I do think the post count number in the top right corner is nifty.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
Nice to see new features in the forums, arn. The new User CP is great.
The new look will take a bit of getting used to, but I think it looks fine.

Fonts?! Now that, I like. :D

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Well done. A nice upgrade.

Can the text field be expanded horizontally and/or vertically? That's the only change I'd recommend at this point.

Pyrix

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2003
UK
Got fed up waiting for Gold I presume ;)

VB3 is a vast improvement on 2; glad you made the jump :)

O.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.