Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Snowy_River said:
Where is it?

<sigh>

Look, I don't mean to get pissy.... but PLEASE GIVE ME A URL

I feel like people are just toying with me here.

Q: "That button I always use is gone"
A: "Which button?"
Q: "Yeah, that button was awesome"
A: "Which page? which button?"
Q: "Oh, here's a screenshot of a blank space... this is where the button was"

Here's mine, if you click on New Posts (https://forums.macrumors.com/search/?do=getnew)

Attachments

• newshot.jpg
    newshot.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 197

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
arn said:
<sigh>

Here's mine, if you click on New Posts (https://forums.macrumors.com/search/?do=getnew)

Okay, here's a URL:

This is a search for all posts that I've made.

This is the search page that used to have the "View First Unread" button, but doesn't have it any more. If you can show me where on that page those buttons show up, I'd be delighted.

(The image that I attached last time was a typical one of the 'records', or what ever you want to call them, that the search returns.)

Oh, and I'm sorry for not providing the URL sooner. I didn't realize that that was what you wanted, and that you didn't understand which search page I was talking about (especially as the URL for this search page was specifically mentioned in post #157 by Rower_CPU).

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
The word last does not appear if you are already on the last page of a thread. I think that is proper behavior.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Snowy_River said:

Thank You! :)

Like I said, I was just getting frustrated... and that limited screenshot without a url was like adding insult to injury...

Yes... you are correct... that page has no button. ;) I guess the best I can say is that page isn't meant to be used that way.

arn

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Snowy-

Does the link (View First Unread at top of thread page) I mentioned in post #161 not work for you?

It's an extra click, but it looks like a likely candidate.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Rower_CPU said:
Snowy-

Does the link (View First Unread at top of thread page) I mentioned in post #161 not work for you?

It's an extra click, but it looks like a likely candidate.

doesn't matter.... I added it to the page in question

arn

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
arn is so accommodating (despite all the time it must take, and the competing opinions around here) that I think we should all ask him to run out and grab us a pizza. No anchovies for me, please.

WM.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2003
Doctor Q said:
arn is so accommodating (despite all the time it must take, and the competing opinions around here) that I think we should all ask him to run out and grab us a pizza. No anchovies for me, please.
Yeah...but what about those registration dates??? ;) :D

Seriously, arn has to be one of the most devoted site owners/admins out there, at least as far as I've seen. Huge props!

WM

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
arn said:
<sigh>

Sorry, arn. I guess I was the second 'Q' above, eh. ;) I found the button I was looking for. (screenshot below) Was it always there? Am I that blind? I didn't realize there were more "view first unread post" buttons. Great job, by the way.

Squire

Attachments

• macrumors post.jpg
    macrumors post.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 176

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
WM. said:
Yeah...but what about those registration dates??? ;) :D

Seriously, arn has to be one of the most devoted site owners/admins out there, at least as far as I've seen. Huge props!

WM
I also would like registration dates. Other than that, nice upgrade.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
private messages?!

i got that javascript popup thingie that lets you know when there's an unread private message, and when i click on "show in new window" it doesnt work. highly annyoying :(
using safari 1.2, 10.3, the usual.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
übergeek said:
i got that javascript popup thingie that lets you know when there's an unread private message, and when i click on "show in new window" it doesnt work. highly annyoying :(
using safari 1.2, 10.3, the usual.

Are you blocking pop-ups? Might be the cause...

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Yet another nitpick:

When you send a Private Message and click Submit Message, you get a JavaScript prompt asking "Request a read receipt for this message?" with choices Cancel and OK. It's confusing and misleading. Cancel sounds like it will cancel the message. Furthermore, you shouldn't have to go through a prompt like this for every message you send - it should be an checkbox under "Additional Options" instead.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
That Javascript pop-up with: ~"Would you like to view your message in a new window?" [Yes - click] hasn't worked for me since v2 of the vB boards (for about a year, actually). And this was with Safari and 10.2. But big deal, I just click "No" so I can view the message in the same window.

Come to think about it, Rower might have a point about pop-up blocking...

arn's getting a bit hostile, huh? Well then, I'll take my plain pizza with red pepper...I hear that the Nanuet Hotel (in NY) has some quality pizza.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
If you are viewing a private message and you decide to delete it, you are supposed to check the Delete this Message checkbox and then click the Delete this Message button. Just to see, I tried leaving the checkbox unchecked. I would expect to get a pop-up or confirmation message of some kind, but instead I got a page saying
vBulletin Message

Invalid Private Message specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the webmaster
That doesn't say what the problem was, and people shouldn't be complaining to the webmaster about it in any case. Maybe you can set vBulletin to produce a more helpful response.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Well, it seems that the changes aren't over yet. There are new graphics all over the place now.

Personally, I don't like the new multi-color smilies. And the 'roll eyes' smilie doesn't seem nearly as exasperated. I may have to make more use of my other smilie sources...

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
I wish we could go back to the smiley's from v. 2 of the boards. Those had style. I agree with Snowy_River, the new roll eyes smiley just doesn't look exasperated enough! :p and the tongue smiley looks happy in the wrong way.....lol.

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
Interesting...I wonder if arn is being creative, or if the new graphics came for free with the upgrade from RC4 to Final (version of vBulletin).

I think I like the new smilies, but only time will tell.

I like the new graphics for the various links underneath our usernames. (offline/online, report post, etc.)

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
Lick up the MILK!

sethypoo said:
I wish we could go back to the smiley's from v. 2 of the boards. Those had style.
I agree with Snowy_River, the new roll eyes smiley just doesn't look exasperated enough! :p and the
tongue smiley looks happy in the wrong way.....lol.
Okay, sethypoo,
let's use your
WET tongue
smiley Cat
;)
image.php

to lick up
MILK here :p
image.php
and especially HERE!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.