Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
marccarter said:
Just a thought, but for all those who don't like the very white look, can't you turn your contrast down? I think it looks clean and makes everything much easier to read.

Or, put some sunglasses on! :cool:

Marc

Or you can use the Universal Access feature to invert your screen! :D

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Kyle? said:
...and for those of you not wanting to use aim, if you don't mind trying a little preference file hacking, you may be able to get ichat to open the links ...

I'm not sure what the hubbub is about this. When I click on the links, iChatAV opens. Is my computer just special?

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Okay, I have a complaint about the new forums.

I used to keep a URL bookmarked that would automatically perform a search for my posts. Now it seems that there isn't a way to do this any more. This is irritating, as it was the way that I chose to keep up with threads that I didn't actually want to be subscribed to. (I don't like to have my mailbox filled up with notifications all the time).

Also, when I do a search, it no longer shows a "Go to first unread post" on the search page. This means that I have to go to each thread then go to the first unread post. This extra step is also rather irritating.

Any chance that these issues can be fixed?

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Rower_CPU said:
Click on your name, then click "Find more posts by <yourname>".

Presto! :)

But I can't bookmark this search. I've tried. So, by this method, first I have to find one of my old posts, then I can do a search...
:(

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
To AIM or not to AIM, that is the iChatAV.

Snowy_River said:
I'm not sure what the hubbub is about this. When I click on the links, iChatAV opens. Is my computer just special?
Mine went to AIM, probably because I had installed AIM on my system already. Had I not, likely iChatAV would have come up. :confused:

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
idkew said:
but this page still does not have the "goto newest post" button. i used that button a lot, as i do not subscribe to threads.

Well, it's only supposed to show you your posts. Take it up with the vBulletin folks. ;)

You can always click the thread title from that page and the click on "View First Unread" at the top left of the thread.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
idkew said:
but this page still does not have the "goto newest post" button. i used that button a lot, as i do not subscribe to threads.

Yes, that complaint still stands for me too. Please, please, PLEASE, bring that button back!

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Snowy_River said:
Yes, that complaint still stands for me too. Please, please, PLEASE, bring that button back!

Um... can people be more specific about exactly where these buttons were and what functions they did?

arn

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
arn said:
Um... can people be more specific about exactly where these buttons were and what functions they did?

arn

they're still there, they've just moved. In the top bar, there's a "quick links" button - in the drop down menu is the "new posts" link. That should be what you're looking for.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Mudbug said:
they're still there, they've just moved. In the top bar, there's a "quick links" button - in the drop down menu is the "new posts" link. That should be what you're looking for.

I think they are talking about the newest post in a thread not a forum.

It's still possible to go to the newest post in a thread the only way I can remember there ever being. When you are in the forum and looking at a thread there is a category that says last post and in that category it lists the last user to post in that thread. Click the arrow next to their name to go to the last post in that thread.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
MacRAND said:
Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7 Last >>
Which means "go to last page of thread", not "go to last post of thread", and not "go to the newest post that I haven't read".

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
arn said:

arn

When you visit a thread that has posts that you haven't read yet, at the top of the page there is a button with a text link that says "
firstnew.gif
View First Unread". There used to be a similar button on the search page. It would not only take you to the thread, but shoot you down to the first unread post. Now, if you want similar functionality, you have to first go to the thread, then click this link in the thread itself.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Snowy_River said:
When you visit a thread that has posts that you haven't read yet, at the top of the page there is a button with a text link that says "
firstnew.gif
View First Unread". There used to be a similar button on the search page. It would not only take you to the thread, but shoot you down to the first unread post. Now, if you want similar functionality, you have to first go to the thread, then click this link in the thread itself.

Can you not click on the same arrow link (
firstnew.gif
) on the search page?

arn

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
MacRAND said:
Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7 Last >>

Again... you have to be specific. I have no clue what you are trying to say... "Last" has always been there.

arn

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
Last>> but not least.

arn said:
Again... you have to be specific. I have no clue what you are trying to say... "Last" has always been there.
arn
arn, not on the page I took it from, I added the word Last>> and arrows in red because it wasn't there... Kind of thought it should be.
Logically, "Last>>" would be like FastForward to the END,
while, "<<First" would take us by FastRewind to the START = Post #1.

Sometimes, I search back from the Last Post to catch the meaning or history of a thread, then I want to go back to the very END to do a REPLY, at which point I may look to see if there is anything between the Last Post and the END before I REPLY.

Thanks, Snowy_River, now I better understand "last unread".

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
I used to use the "view first unread post" button all the time to. It was especially handy if you were following a thread but were not actually subscribed to it.

Squire

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Squire said:
I used to use the "view first unread post" button all the time to. It was especially handy if you were following a thread but were not actually subscribed to it.

Squire

Again... the button is still there. Please point me to a page where you don't think it is on, and I'll show it to you. :)

arn

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
MacRAND said:
arn, not on the page I took it from, I added the word Last>> and arrows in red because it wasn't there... Kind of thought it should be.
Logically, "Last>>" would be like FastForward to the END,
while, "<<First" would take us by FastRewind to the START = Post #1.

Sometimes, I search back from the Last Post to catch the meaning or history of a thread, then I want to go back to the very END to do a REPLY, at which point I may look to see if there is anything between the Last Post and the END before I REPLY.

Well, I assume you realize that "Last" is still there... but it takes you to the Last page, not the last post. I believe this is how it always worked.... eh?

Attachments

• SafariScreenSnapz002.jpg
    SafariScreenSnapz002.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 149
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.