Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StudioGuy

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2003
Members area status report

For members, I agree the main page is now working.

Clicking on the page 2 link goes to https://www.macrumors.com/members/page2/ which also has the "MacRumors.com - No Ad Member Area" error indicator. Tried the logout/login thing again to no avail.

Forums are working, but still show the ads.

In this message, I moved the text insertion I-bar to an earlier location and click a smilie to add it, but it added it to the bottom of the message instead. I know this used to work.

that's the latest member sees...

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
Very nice redesign. And pulled off pretty flawlessly. Of course the appearance still requires some fine tuning, but the new capabilities are great.

Oh, and for those of you not wanting to use aim, if you don't mind trying a little preference file hacking, you may be able to get ichat to open the links by adding a record to the file ~/library/preferences/com.apple.LaunchServices.plist. Also, I think there may be a prog out there that will let you change the program url bindings without having to mess with the xml. That's not to say ichat knows how to handle the aim url. It would seem that if ichat can do it, then it already would. But you can't know until you try.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I noticed that you can now preview personal messages before sending them. Two thumbs up!

A quibble about error messages: I think that the titles of messages like "Server is too busy" should say "MacRumors Forums" instead of "vBulletin". IMHO, a good software package can put its name at the bottom of every page in little print, but it shouldn't mention itself so prominently. It makes it look like an uncaught software error instead of a unfortunate-but-normal condition. And it shouldn't tell you to contact the webmaster when the server is busy. I'm sure arn already knows when the server is busy.

Can the message be customized?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I just came across a nice new feature of the forum redesign. When I got my E.Mail notification today, it also included the actual post of the person. So now you can ready the reply prior to posting.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
wdlove said:
I just came across a nice new feature of the forum redesign. When I got my E.Mail notification today, it also included the actual post of the person. So now you can ready the reply prior to posting.

Yeah, I noticed that last night. It's nice because you then know whether or not you need to go to the forum to reply or not.

WM.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2003
I'd like the registration date back too. Month and year, like before, at least...

idkew

macrumors 68020
just a nit pick arn, but the new quote oval does not perfectly line up on the top right and left sides. see the attachment for the visual. hope this helps you.

edit- i just noticed, the curved quotes, and the square attachment things don't go well together. i realize this is a work in progress, and are prolly currently curving the attachment box... but i thought i would try and help.

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 174

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
I'd like to have a link to MacBytes back at the top of the forums, like it was in the old forums. After I've posted something, I want to go back to MacBytes, and usually I just hit the link at the top of the thread. Now I have to navigate back to macrumors.com from the tab, and then go back to MacBytes from there. Pressing the back button brings up a prompt asking if I want to submit my message again...annoying...thats why I prefer having the MacBytes link.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Woah.

First off, the new features are awesome. The colour options are wonderful and the attachments manager is also great (Sun Baked, take note).
The only quibbles I can think of for now is the avatar arrangement (I much preferred them to be centred like in the OS X theme as opposed to on the left like in this one) and the fact the the IMG tags aren't enabled on all forums has been a bit of a bother as well, perhaps this could be remedied at last....

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
WM. said:
I'd like the registration date back too. Month and year, like before, at least...

I second your suggestion WM. It's nice to know how long a person has been on the forum. Just gives a frame of reference about longevity.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
vniow said:
Woah.
and the fact the the IMG tags aren't enabled on all forums has been a bit of a bother as well, perhaps this could be remedied at last....

which forums don't have img tags allowed?

arn

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
arn said:
which forums don't have img tags allowed?

arn

MacRumors' Page 2 News Discussion
MacBytes.com News Discussion
New Mac Application Announcements
Daily Tunes Site Discussion and Feedback
Marketplace and Classifieds
Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion
Switch Stories
Political Discussions & War Discussion
MacRumors Old Skool

Think that's it.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Am I correct that the Top Ten can no longer be displayed with position numbers, and that the only way to get the list is to click the Posts heading in the Member List display?

Also, I notice that member Macrumors does not have an avatar!

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
Currently on the forums main page there are icons which indicate the thread state

yellow = new posts
clear/white = no new posts
lock = locked

I think it would be more consistent to change it to the following

green = new posts
yellow = no new posts
red = locked

Mac OS X style and all

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
StudioGuy said:
For members, I agree the main page is now working.

Clicking on the page 2 link goes to https://www.macrumors.com/members/page2/ which also has the "MacRumors.com - No Ad Member Area" error indicator. Tried the logout/login thing again to no avail.

Page 2 and BuyersGuide should be working now for contributors.

arn

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
vniow said:
Ah thank you, I forgot about that section because I had it hidden, Mac Gaming and Distributed Computing don't allow them either.

All should support inline images now.

arn

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Another new feature I like: You can preview your edits when you modify a previous post, and you can specify a "Reason for Editing".

After posting, I edited this post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.