Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
What I'm finding is that the 'unread posts' marker is based on time rather than on which posts we've actually visited. For example, last Sunday was the last time I clicked on 'Mark Forums Read'. Now, any time I click on a thread title for a thread that contains posts prior to Sunday, I'm taken to the first post in the thread that was posted after the date/time that I marked forums read. This means that I'm taken to, say, the middle of a thread that I've never visited - the 'first unread' function should have landed me on the OP, which is actually the first unread post because I've never visited the thread.
I think it is working as designed and intended, and just like the old system. If you mark all as read, then anything before that date is by definition read, so it would make sense clicking first unread would be anything after last time you marked all as read. It sounds like you are expecting behavior that is not intended.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
I think it is working as designed and intended, and just like the old system. If you mark all as read, then anything before that date is by definition read, so it would make sense clicking first unread would be anything after last time you marked all as read. It sounds like you are expecting behavior that is not intended.
Nope, the old system actually took me to the correct post regardless of when I marked forums read. I think the old system kept track of which threads I visited whereas this new system bases the marker on time alone. I've noticed this same difference on three other forums that have switched from vBulletin to Xenforo.

I'll admit that I was expecting the function to take me to the first unread post, like it did in VB, which would be the OP in a thread that I had never visited.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
It does the same thing to me sometimes too. I think it might be related to threads that haven't had new postings since before the site upgrade got reset to the start of the thread (i.e. older threads) whereas newer threads go to the first unread post. At least that's what I thought at first. I've gotten a few more lately, but they might have been posts to old threads as well. I really didn't really look at the prior date stamps.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
with your subscriptions, any chance to implement a "select all" to check mark all boxes is in one button ?

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
If you click the thread title it will take to to first unread since your last visit. If you click the date just below the title it will take you to the start of the thread.
Looking that over, I suppose you discovered that by mousing over the date and noticing it changes to a link. Why would you think of doing that? I would never have occurred to me to try that, obviously.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Looking that over, I suppose you discovered that by mousing over the date and noticing it changes to a link. Why would you think of doing that? I would never have occurred to me to try that, obviously.
Odd, it was one of the earlier things I've come across and not really all that accidentally as time stamps are links often enough in many sites.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Editing Posts Expiration Date-
I've just noticed something with the new software, there is a date where posts within a thread can no longer be edited. For a specific kind of post this is bad because, I have built some guides where I've gone back and although the thread is still active, I can no longer edit the first post of the thread that contains the guide. Example: Space Engineers Guide

Can I presume that if I had made this a wiki post, that it would remain editable forever, or would it too have an expiration date?

While the old MacRumors Guide area was still accessible the last time I checked, it can no longer be edited. And I understand the idea behind a wiki post, and I'll say that in many cases, this is a compilation that I have created and would prefer to keep control of what is posted, to keep it from becoming a possible mess, but I would consider going the wiki route if that is the only way to keep a post open for editing. Note under the old software, posts remained editable forever, as far as I can tell.

Any possibility of changing this feature with the new software?
Thanks!

I'll look at it. Maybe we will allow long term members to edit longer.

Arn, Any positive outcome for this? I'd like to get back into the business of posting a few guides in our MacRumors forums. Thanks! :)

Checked this morning, this guide in uneditable: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mrs-guide-windows-gaming-on-a-mac.1766882/

Last edited:

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I just wanted to say I hate this new platform, multi-quotes work half the time on my mbas 2015, on iPhone (6S) the mobile version is horrible and works half the time properly etc etc etc. This new platform while it has a cute coat of paint is bad, instead of going fwd is a step back.

/rant over/

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
I'm not a fan of the new Spy. You pretty much have to wait for the whole thing to update, plink-plink-plink, and fill the browser before you can click on links. It's especially annoying on a mobile browser.

I find myself visiting MacRumors much less now.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I can't remember if there was a way prior to this change of forums weather there was a a field in your contacts to edit, or add your operating system. I know u could specify in signature, but not sure if there was a separate field just for this.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I can't remember if there was a way prior to this change of forums weather there was a a field in your contacts to edit, or add your operating system. I know u could specify in signature, but not sure if there was a separate field just for this.
As I recall there was a "Computers" field that could be displayed on your profile. Is that what you mean?

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Anyway to run the desktop forum on mobile?
Everytime I request it using the safari desktop request it doesn't work, selecting one of the three at the bottom of the site only gives me the front page as desktop but forum stays on mobile.

Why not support the standard iOS feature for desktop sites?

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Anyway to run the desktop forum on mobile?
Everytime I request it using the safari desktop request it doesn't work, selecting one of the three at the bottom of the site only gives me the front page as desktop but forum stays on mobile.

Why not support the standard iOS feature for desktop sites?
Because there is no separate desktop or mobile site for the forums. It's one site that uses CSS/JavaScript to adjust to different screen sizes.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Because there is no separate desktop or mobile site for the forums. It's one site that uses CSS/JavaScript to adjust to different screen sizes.
ah makes sense, so let me rephrase, any way I can see all the details of a thread just like in bigger screen devices?

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Is there a way we could have a "quick reply" button at the TOP of a thread that could instantly take us to the bottom? Using the reply button for the article quotes it and sometimes you don't want to quote it so you either have to scroll all the way down to the quick reply area or remove all the quoting before replying. It seems like the old forum had a button at the top, but I could be remembering incorrectly.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.