Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Howard Brazee

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2006
Lafayette CO
Reactions: makris0000

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
So can I buy something like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CS8D3KF2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and either connect both of my 4K monitors to it, or connect one monitor straight into the M3 iMac and then the other one using that adaptor thing?

Yes. We have multiple colleagues at work with a MacBook Air M2 with a DisplayLink-based setup where they have two external displays (one via DisplayLink) in addition to the internal.

It's not ideal, but it does work.

Reactions: makris0000

makris0000

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
Clearwater Beach
Sweet! I figured it should work and that way I will have 3 monitors. Ideally it would have been nice to just plug them straight into the iMac like I had to do with my Macbook Pro or my assistant's iMac, but the display link should work just fine. Now the hard part is waiting for my custom built iMac to arrive in about 1.5-2 weeks.

Side question, do you notice any lagginess when using dual 4K monitors? My plan is to use both of my 27 inch 4K monitors and then have the iMac display as the main one.

Last edited:

makris0000

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
Clearwater Beach
My new iMac came in 4 days early! I set up the Displayport and so far no issues with having both of my 4K 27 inch monitors. The way I have it set up is I have one monitor connected directly into my iMac into one of the Thunderbolt ports and the Displayport is plugged into the other Thunderbolt port, and I am using a HDMI wire to connect the monirot to the Displayport.

Reactions: Tagbert
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.