Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KevinN206

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2009
Of course he does. But you used 'leadership' like Tim Cook sits around with Craig F and John and they decided that M3 only supports 2 displays.

That's not how it works. John Turnus' org (up to and including him) make these types of decisions. Not marketing.
The decision is still based on marketing feedback. Basically, Apple marketing believes that the market will allow them to make *more* profit by giving the base M3 with 8 GB of RAM and one external monitor support. The engineering side designs the chip to this requirement and saves cost to increase profit margin.

• Love
Reactions: psxp

KevinN206

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2009
Yes, but the Snapdragon and Celeron have drastically different architectures. A big part of what makes the M-series of chips special in terms of performance-per-watt is that they are very opinionated - snapdragon 8c is a 'compute platform', the M3 is a chip designed up-front targeting a set of devices with a specific set of capabilities.

Having seen many other chips with such a design methodology (3dfx Voodoo 2 springs to mind), I'm not comfortable saying they could just wedge an additional display output into their current architecture without ramifications.

So no, I don't think it is a marketing/moneymaking thing. I think it is part of the design trade-offs of the chip.

To put it a different way - if they had to choose between the chip having 2% faster GPU performance, one more efficiency core or an additional display output, they'd have been nuts to pick the display.
No Apple chose money, in their bank. $1600 get you 8 GB and one external monitor. It's all about profit.

• Love

KevinN206

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2009
LOL.. 350+ comments for this..

If you have money to buy 2 monitors, and if that's your requirement surely you'll have enough to buy M3 Pro?
Or you can save the $400 to buy a second monitor or a bunch of other peripherals and accessories if the $1600 M3 can do two external monitors.

freedomlinux

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
CT, USA
the M1/2/3 laptops do not have the ability to disable the internal display and connect that display controller to a second external display. That would be nice and would help some people but that is not how they are setup currently.
Yes, I think this is the key point. Apple made a (IMO reasonable) compromise not to include the 3rd display controller in the base M chips. But I think, if the internal display could be disabled in clamshell mode & both exposed as external displays that would make a lot of people happy.

I had this on a ThinkPad back in 2012 - it could only run 2 displays *at a time*, but was capable of turning off the internal display. Not perfect, but good enough if you're putting it in a docking station anyway.

Velli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2013
$1600 is not a basic computer.
Yes, it is. It is a basic, high quality device, as opposed to most of the competition at this price level which are advanced, low quality devices. Price in itself is not indicative of the product type.

A high quality kitchen knife costs the same as a low quality chainsaw.

(This being said, I agree that it's ridiculous for MBP to only support one external display)

twistedpixel8

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
They must not know (or care) that blatantly crippling their "most powerful chip" with software just to sell the next, more expensive configuration, irritates everyone and cheapens the brand.
And yet consumers keep buying their products so where’s the incentive not to behave like this?

Reactions: Will Co

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
And yet consumers keep buying their products so where’s the incentive not to behave like this?

Everyone is complaining that there are no cheap new cars, but yet when they are/were cheap new car everyone bought specced out SUVs.

With Apple it's a bit different, "everyone" (the vast majority) buys what is on sale at amazon (the base spec), barely glances at the specs and is happy with it for the next 3-7 years, while a loud minority is nonstop whining (many of whom wouldn't buy even if all the "issues" were to be fixed).

Will Co

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2021
United Kingdom
Can't have anything to do with so many being sold in 2020-2022 with buyers yet feeling the need to upgrade.

Nope must be over a feature most of them never realized missing !!
Yes, that's part of it too. I'm not suggesting this is the only reason for sales being down. The cost of living crisis is going to be part of it too. But stiffing consumers by not including what many would see are essential features, even for a base model, isn't going to be helping.

mimeArtist

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2010
Why'd anyone want to buy an iMac and have loads of screens off of it, just the one extra with it is going to look ugly.

victorvictoria

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2023
Apple dropped the entry-level price by $400, and still you whine about it not supporting more than 2 displays. The new 14" M3 Pro is now the same price as the M1 and M2 entry level MacBook Pros.

WTF do you want? Free?

• Disagree
Reactions: freedomlinux

FindingAvalon

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2021
Apple dropped the entry-level price by $400, and still you whine about it not supporting more than 2 displays. The new 14" M3 Pro is now the same price as the M1 and M2 entry level MacBook Pros.

WTF do you want? Free?
They did not drop it by $400 and $500 Windows laptops and $300 Chromebooks can support two displays. Just because you don’t mind it doesn’t mean everyone does.

Last edited:

Motorola68000

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2022
It’s common everywhere. Pretty much every Costco sells a 2-pack monitor, 24 or 27-inch.

Receptionists get two, bank tellers get two. For $100 per monitor, who isn’t running two these days? Unless, you can’t.
A call centre has very little need for processing power, so two monitors will make very little difference. For most it seems more about fashion statement than real need.

FindingAvalon

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2021
A call centre has very little need for processing power, so two monitors will make very little difference. For most it seems more about fashion statement than real need.
Wrong. It’s obvious you’ve never seen a modern call center. Processing power and dual monitors have nothing to do with one another.

Reactions: rjbenson83

victorvictoria

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2023
They did not drop it by $400 and $500 Windows laptops and $300 Chromebooks can support two displays. Just because you don’t mind it doesn’t mean everyone does.
May I direct you to this page @ Apple.com? There it is: 14" MBP $1,599. The M1 & M2 MBP's were $1,999. Where are you getting your information from? And it does support two displays: built-in and external. And if you want a $500 windows or $300 Chromebook, why don't you stop complaining about Apple, and buy one of them, instead?

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
So why not get a desktop then? I thought the purpose of a laptop is to free yourself from being stuck with a desktop.

Why not get an Intel MacBook Air from 2018 that can do two external displays then?

Or why not just get rid of all external monitor support? It's a laptop so why would anyone need to plug it into multiple displays?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.