Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2021
Yeah, so I’ve been going back and forth on which of these two keyboards to get. The Magic Keyboard is $300 on Amazon right now, but the Doqo is $150 and you can get $30 off if you join Prime, which after the $12 price would be about $18 in savings. Here’s the Doqo keyboard if you haven’t seen it before:

It’s aluminum alloy, folds different ways, and even rotates 360 degrees which the Magic Keyboard can’t do. It also has 7 backlight colors for the keyboard. But it’s Bluetooth and doesn’t have the pass-through charging that the Magic Keyboard does. The Doqo features a function row of keys as well. I need an Apple Pencil too, so I could get it immediately if I opted for the Doqo or wait a bit if I went with the Magic Keyboard. Not sure what to do. I’m leaning towards the Magic Keyboard even though it’s twice as much.

What would you go with?

Reactions: bondr006

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Amazon has always offered me a free trial period for Prime. Even as much as 30 days on one occasion. Accept their free trial offer of Prime if they extend it to you, order the keyboard, and before the trial period is up cancel Prime.

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2021
It hasn’t been popping up for me lately when I go to my cart, but I will do that if I get the offer. So, you think I should go with the Doqo? It looks really nice.

Edit: I think I’m gonna go with the Doqo. It may be Bluetooth, but it seems pretty awesome and high quality. I’m not too keen on the material used for the Magic Keyboard nor do I like the lack of function keys. Don’t get me wrong, I think the Magic Keyboard is great, but I need something a bit different this time around. Also, I saw that Prime is $15 now, so I’d only save $15 on the Doqo, but that’s $15! ?

Edit #2: Maybe I’m stoopid, but if Prime is $15 and then I get $15 off the keyboard… Am I not just paying the exact same price for it? Lol. I mean, I can use Prime if I did that, but I don’t see myself ordering anything else or even using the streaming service.

Last edited:

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I think it really depends on how much you would use the keyboard folio set-up. For me the MK is probably best overall of the keyboard folios. I do like my Logitech Combo, but in keyboard mode the extended support flap needs more desk space than the MK.

In fact I’m sitting in a hotel right now using the Logitech Combo. I love the function keys on the Combo vs. the MK.

Finally, cost is always a factor. But again if you use it a lot, I think both the keyboard I’ve highlighted would be worth the extra mone over the Doqo. I just hope it isn’t a ”Dog-O” ;) I do think in most cases you get what you pay for.

By the way, I also gave the Brydge a shot. Too heavy, that typing lagged just a little via it BT connection. I returned it.

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2021
I’ve thought about buying the Logitech Combo Touch, but I don’t have a desk set up and primarily sit in a recliner and I’ve been told the kickstand is not ideal for that. I might just opt for the Magic Keyboard instead of the Doqo, but I would consider the Logitech if I knew I could prop it up on my legs the right way.

I’ve had the Magic Keyboard before and loved it, but I do like the function keys of other keyboards. The price is what I’m really hung up on, but Amazon has it discounted somewhat right now.

Note: My recliner is an electric one that doesn’t lean downwards, so my legs are always straight out from my body if that helps in helping me choose between the two. ?

Last edited:

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I’ve thought about buying the Logitech Combo Touch, but I don’t have a desk set up and primarily sit in a recliner and I’ve been told the kickstand is not ideal for that. I might just opt for the Magic Keyboard instead of the Doqo, but I would consider the Logitech if I knew I could prop it up on my legs the right way.

I’ve had the Magic Keyboard before and loved it, but I do like the function keys of other keyboards. The price is what I’m really hung up on, but Amazon has it discounted somewhat right now.

Note: My recliner is an electric one that doesn’t lean downwards, so my legs are always straight out from my body if that helps in helping me choose between the two. ?
well I do use the combo on a recliner. just the case not the keyboard on my legs. But it is better with a tray, or small lap, laptop holder. The Prop N, Go on Amazon works very well in a recliner or in bed. As it negates the necessity of using the Combo’s case flap. It is also padded for comfort.

I took a short trip this weekend and sat in a hotel/bar/lobby, using a counter like table. Having the keyboard with function keys and large trackpad was great. The Apple iPods Max headphones were frosting on the cake?

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2021
I looked at the Prop N Go on Amazon, but how does that even work? It doesn’t look like the keyboard could be connected to the iPad with that accessory. Could you link me to what you are talking about directly or recommend me a lap desk that would accommodate the Combo Touch? Thank you very much! ?

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2021
I am thinking that instead of all the other options, I might be opting for the ESR Rebound Magnetic Keyboard. It is very similar to the Magic Keyboard except no pass-through charging, it’s Bluetooth, and it has a pencil strap (which is great!). Also, with the $40 coupon it’s only $120, so that’s hard to beat when comparing it to the $300 Magic Keyboard (now that it’s discounted from $350). ESR has a great track record with their products and I see them highly recommended here a lot, so I believe I’ll be better off with the ESR than the Doqo. IMO.

For anyone wanting to check out the ESR Rebound Magnetic Keyboard, here’s a link to it on Amazon:

Also, about that “you get what you pay for” thing… I had a Zagg Pro Keys before I picked up for about $140 (normally $170) and it had no trackpad. I loved that keyboard except for one small thing and that was you had to enable the backlight every time you opened the keyboard up. Other than that, it suited my needs perfectly and I had no use for an overpriced $300-350 Magic Keyboard anymore. The Magic Keyboard is great, but after spending almost $1,000 on my iPad Pro and funds being limited on my budget I can’t justify the purchase.

Last edited:

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I looked at the Prop N Go on Amazon, but how does that even work? It doesn’t look like the keyboard could be connected to the iPad with that accessory. Could you link me to what you are talking about directly or recommend me a lap desk that would accommodate the Combo Touch? Thank you very much! ?
it would not work with a keyboard. Just on the lap.

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
Sorry @iPad Bro Did not see your post when I posted? It does look interesting though.

One of the YouTuber’s I watch just turned me on to this. I gotta try it.

Last edited:

RayLancer

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2010
For anyone wanting to check out the ESR Rebound Magnetic Keyboard, here’s a link to it on Amazon:

I had this and returned it. The trackpad was ok, I had some issues with gesture lags or stuff not recognizing. One of the keys would always type when I accidently put ANY amount of pressure on it for some reason. I think it's alright for the price. It did feel heavier than my Brydge Max+ 11 which I thought was odd. Things I didn't like, trackpad is pretty small, the hinges work but they don't feel as nice as the actual Apple Magic Keyboard (the top hinge doesn't exactly snap when you get it to max viewing angle which made me feel like I'd break it at some point), case durability is questionable due to the material (just like the smart/magic keyboard). I did like the backlight options though and the keyboard wasn't too bad to type on.

Attachments

• IMG_2846.jpg
    IMG_2846.jpg
    520.8 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_2847.jpg
    IMG_2847.jpg
    566.8 KB · Views: 118

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2021
Sorry to hear that you didn’t like it. I’m still going to try it out. Average Tech Guy also did a review of it on YouTube if anyone is interested. Also, something I noticed is the 12.9 version has a full row of function keys while the 11 only has a shared row with the number keys. Not a deal breaker, but I’ll enjoy it better having the extra row on my 12.9.

Anyways, here’s the review:

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010

I have the Combo Touch and realy like it. I use it in my recliner all the time. Between the keyboard giving a flat surface and the kickstand supporting the back, I've never had a problem with it. It's a great keyboard case. Logitech makes a great product.

IMG_8424.jpg
IMG_8425.jpg

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2021
I have the Combo Touch and realy like it. I use it in my recliner all the time. Between the keyboard giving a flat surface and the kickstand supporting the back, I've never had a problem with it. It's a great keyboard case. Logitech makes a great product.

View attachment 1966094 View attachment 1966095
Wow, thanks a lot for the pictures and everything, bro! I might have to rethink getting that ESR Rebound now, but I’m 50/50. Can you sit Indian style with the Combo Touch? Also, your pictures are a big help. I really appreciate them.

Also, does the Combo Touch make the iPad too far away from you in your opinion?

Last edited:

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Wow, thanks a lot for the pictures and everything, bro! I might have to rethink getting that ESR Rebound now, but I’m 50/50. Can you sit Indian style with the Combo Touch? Also, your pictures are a big help. I really appreciate them.

Also, does the Combo Touch make the iPad too far away from you in your opinion?
You are welcome bud! I have never tried it in my lap sitting Indian style. I am 61 and not as flexible as I used to be.? I wear glasses, so distance is not a big factor, but with it on my lap in the chair, I can see and read everything just fine. I have my font size set to default, but you can easily adjust the font to a bigger size if you need to.

BTW, I am also interested in the ESR because of the style and price, but will wait it out to see some more reviews from YouTubers and real consumers like you and me. So far there are only 5 user reviews up on Amazon.

Reactions: eyeseeyou

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2021
Yeah, I wear glasses too. I’m just nitpicky when it comes to how close the iPad Pro is to me. I’m considering the Combo Touch, but I like the price point of the ESR since I am also looking to pick up a pair of the Soundcore Liberty 3 Pro earbuds. If I do get the ESR Rebound, I will happily either review it on Amazon or directly let you know my thoughts about it so you can make a better decision on whether to buy it or not. Thanks again for the help. :D

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Yeah, I wear glasses too. I’m just nitpicky when it comes to how close the iPad Pro is to me. I’m considering the Combo Touch, but I like the price point of the ESR since I am also looking to pick up a pair of the Soundcore Liberty 3 Pro earbuds. If I do get the ESR Rebound, I will happily either review it on Amazon or directly let you know my thoughts about it so you can make a better decision on whether to buy it or not. Thanks again for the help. :D
Sounds good. I will be looking forward to your thoughts. Thank you!

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2021
I checked the Amazon page and another review went up and it’s mostly negative. I really wanted those earbuds, but I might just bite the bullet and buy the Magic Keyboard if it stays at the $300 price tag it’s currently at. I see the Brydge is $200, but I didn’t really care for it when I had it. It was digging into my legs it was so heavy and the iPad was way too far away from me. I could give the Combo Touch a try, but it’s not too much cheaper than the Magic Keyboard and I’m not sure I’d like the Combo Touch in my use case. Oh well. I guess you do have to pony up the cash if you want something that’s worth it. o_O

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
I checked the Amazon page and another review went up and it’s mostly negative. I really wanted those earbuds, but I might just bite the bullet and buy the Magic Keyboard if it stays at the $300 price tag it’s currently at. I see the Brydge is $200, but I didn’t really care for it when I had it. It was digging into my legs it was so heavy and the iPad was way too far away from me. I could give the Combo Touch a try, but it’s not too much cheaper than the Magic Keyboard and I’m not sure I’d like the Combo Touch in my use case. Oh well. I guess you do have to pony up the cash if you want something that’s worth it. o_O

I completely agree. At the end of the day, you got to do what’s best for you.;) I got a good deal on the LCT when it was on sale at Best Buy for $180. After having used it, there are a few things I’d definitely miss if I had to give it up.

1. Protection on the edges.
2. Being able to remove the backlit keyboard and still have it in a case with a fully adjustable kickstand.
3. The larger, multi touch click anywhere track pad. It's frigging amazing.
4. The material the MK is made of smudges and marks up easily. The LCT material does not.
5. And probably my favorite, the really convenient full row of iPadOS shortcut keys.

BTW…It’s on sale for $180 at Amazon, and has a ton of great user reviews. That’s a full $120 less than the MK.
devil2.gif

Just look at that beautiful big trackpad and full row of shortcut keys
devil2.gif

IMG-8454.jpg

Anemic Magic Keyboard
81z7updiliL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

0fbAo_9gsMU9GEK9oIzimOiLbjx_LG5JAjc_R-kdmuE.png

Removeable keyboard with adjustable kickstand and full protection
devil2.gif

IMG_8443.jpg

IMG_8445.jpg

IMG_8448.jpg

Not the best pictures, but you get the idea
devil2.gif

Attachments

• IMG_8440.jpg
    IMG_8440.jpg
    677.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 81z7updiliL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    81z7updiliL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG-8454.jpg
    IMG-8454.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 100
  • 0fbAo_9gsMU9GEK9oIzimOiLbjx_LG5JAjc_R-kdmuE.png
    0fbAo_9gsMU9GEK9oIzimOiLbjx_LG5JAjc_R-kdmuE.png
    450.3 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2021
Well, you’ve gave me a LOT to think about with that very detailed post. I’ve had the Magic Keyboard multiple times and I’ve liked it, but I don’t want to leave the iPad Pro unprotected nor do I want to give up the full row of shortcut keys. The fact that you can detach the keyboard is also a plus in addition to the wide array of angles you can get out of the Combo Touch.

It reminds me of my Zugu case when not attached to the keyboard with the protection and the angles which I would love for my content consumption! Like I said, I’ve tried the Magic Keyboard multiple times over the years and it’s a hard pill to swallow paying full price for the lacking features compared to the LCT.

I have the 12.9” iPad Pro, so it would cost me $228.99 for the LCT, but I can still save almost $100 over the $300 Magic Keyboard. Since you have been so nice to take pictures and really sell the LCT to me, I will give it a shot. If I don’t like it or it doesn’t suit my needs, I can always return it. But I honestly think it’s going to be awesome.

One thing that scared me the other day is for the first time ever I dropped my iPad Pro. No damage since it was in the Zugu case and hit carpet, but it was because I got my foot caught up in the 10 foot USB-C cable I have. Lol. It really opened my eyes. Having the Magic Keyboard would be bad if that ever happened again yet the LCT would protect my investment perfectly if something were to happen. I am going to get AppleCare+ too, but I’d rather not have to rely on that. I want to keep my original iPad Pro and not have it damaged.

Also, I forgot to mention another thing I love about the LCT: the smart connection. No charging the keyboard, no Bluetooth connection. It just seems like the logical choice to go with, so I’m buying the LCT 110% now. Thank you yet again for your help. I hope this works out for me. I’ve always wanted to try it out, but I’ve hesitated because of the kickstand.

Now it’s go time! :D

Caputo

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2016
West Palm Beach, FL
Sorry @iPad Bro Did not see your post when I posted? It does look interesting though.

One of the YouTuber’s I watch just turned me on to this. I gotta try it.

I don’t want to sound biased, but I like his videos ?

But seriously, it’s a good keyboard especially considering the price point if you’re buying for the 11” iPad Pro or 10.9 iPad Air. Spending another $50-100 on the Logitech Combo Touch for a better typing experience might be a better option for some, but everything has trade offs.

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2021
Would you recommend the ESR Rebound for the 12.9? Or have you not tried it? Also, what do you say in response to the video review on Amazon complaining about the space bar and keys acting wonky? Finally, does the ESR give you a good angle while in the lap like the Magic Keyboard? Or is it just not as good? Is it even manageable in the lap with the angle it’s at? Sorry for all the questions!

Reactions: bondr006 and Caputo

Caputo

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2016
West Palm Beach, FL
Would you recommend the ESR Rebound for the 12.9? Or have you not tried it? Also, what do you say in response to the video review on Amazon complaining about the space bar and keys acting wonky? Finally, does the ESR give you a good angle while in the lap like the Magic Keyboard? Or is it just not as good? Is it even manageable in the lap with the angle it’s at? Sorry for all the questions!
I don’t have the Rebound case for the 12.9 so I can’t comment on how it works specific to that model.

The ESR Rebound case has about 10 degrees less tilt compared to the magic keyboard. I don’t think it’s noticeable unless you have both side by side.

For the combo touch, I’ve reviewed both the 11 and 12.9 version and it’s probably the best option for most people. It balances viewability and protection with the added benefit of detachable keyboard and a huge trackpad and typing experience. The trade off is moderate cost, bulkyness, no dedicated Apple Pencil sleeve and some degree of friction to remove it. Most of the trade offs are a nonissue for the majority of people, but again trade offs are trade offs :)

if you aren’t particularly cost sensitive, the logitech combo touch is a great option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.