Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2021
Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate your insight! Rob (bondr006) was helping me decide whether or not to go with the Combo Touch. If I may ask you one more question: How is the lapability? Rob showed me pics in here of him with it on his lap, but I am worried it might not work so good for me with the way I sometimes sit.

Reactions: bondr006

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
FYI. I had the Zagg ProKeys without trackpad and I really liked it because it provided the things I really like in my old 9.7" iPP's Smart Keyboard/hard case combo. The case is magnetically attached to the keyboard part; it's BT but the BT wakes up when you place the case in one of the two slots and I didn't notice any lag when typing; has Fn keys; backlit in different colors; smaller footprint than the other cases; has a damn caps lock light; has a cradle for a pencil with a strap which holds it in place when closed; openings in the side direct the speaker sound towards you.

I don't have it now, not because I didn't like it, but because I don't have my 11" iPP anymore.

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2021
I had it too and really liked it. I need to decide by tomorrow which keyboard I am getting. I was set on the Combo Touch, but I am still worried it won’t work in my lap the way I want it to work. The Brydge MAX+ is $200 right now and the Magic Keyboard is $300. I could opt for the Doqo or ESR too. It’s just so hard to choose. I’ll probably end up buying the Magic Keyboard even though it lacks a function row. I would not get it in black again. White is the best. Side note, but that pass-through charging and smart connection is a game changer. I can give up some protection and a function row for a better keyboard and trackpad. Apple is the best option to go with honestly. I could get a CoverBuddy or Pitaka case later on for more protection if I needed it. I guess I did it again. Convinced myself of what to buy by talking to myself. Yay me. ;)

• Haha

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
I don’t want to sound biased, but I like his videos ?

But seriously, it’s a good keyboard especially considering the price point if you’re buying for the 11” iPad Pro or 10.9 iPad Air. Spending another $50-100 on the Logitech Combo Touch for a better typing experience might be a better option for some, but everything has trade offs.
Holy cow! The YouTube Mike Caputo? I love your videos bud and am subscribed to your YouTube channel. Nice to see you here Mike. Keep up the great job on your videos.?

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
I don’t have the Rebound case for the 12.9 so I can’t comment on how it works specific to that model.

The ESR Rebound case has about 10 degrees less tilt compared to the magic keyboard. I don’t think it’s noticeable unless you have both side by side.

For the combo touch, I’ve reviewed both the 11 and 12.9 version and it’s probably the best option for most people. It balances viewability and protection with the added benefit of detachable keyboard and a huge trackpad and typing experience. The trade off is moderate cost, bulkyness, no dedicated Apple Pencil sleeve and some degree of friction to remove it. Most of the trade offs are a nonissue for the majority of people, but again trade offs are trade offs :)

if you aren’t particularly cost sensitive, the logitech combo touch is a great option.
How would you compare the Logitech trackpad ux vs the rebound or Bluetooth trackpads in general?

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2021
I ended up buying the ESR Rebound Magnetic Keyboard, but I’m having a problem with it. When I’m typing, it’ll randomly exit the text box and skip to a different place. Like if I’m in Facebook Messenger, it’ll go to a completely different conversation. It’ll skip backwards in a text box. It’ll jump up the page and whatnot. I know I’m not hitting the tab key or trackpad, but I don’t know what the problem is. I’ve reached out to ESR support. I’ve also tried toggling some of the keyboard options, but nothing has worked yet. Anybody have one and experiencing anything similar?

• Sad

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
Comparing Doqo vs Magic Keyboard (your original question).
Two things stand out from the Doqo page on Amazon:
1. The Doqo uses bluetooth connection (vs. Smart Connector on Magic Keyboard) which is not always reliable and requires charging.
2. The Doqo weighs 2.33 lbs, almost 1 pound more than the iPad itself. The already weighty Magic Keyboard is comparatively "light" at 1.6 lbs.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
Comparing Doqo vs Magic Keyboard (your original question).
Two things stand out from the Doqo page on Amazon:
1. The Doqo uses bluetooth connection (vs. Smart Connector on Magic Keyboard) which is not always reliable and requires charging.
2. The Doqo weighs 2.33 lbs, almost 1 pound more than the iPad itself. The already weighty Magic Keyboard is comparatively "light" at 1.6 lbs.
I’ve tried a few Bluetooth trackpads with the latest iPad Pro and iPadOS and unfortunately, the experiences were all a little wonky.

That’s unfortunate because the magic keyboard is very limited in a lot of ways that the DOQO isn’t.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
I’ve tried a few Bluetooth trackpads with the latest iPad Pro and iPadOS and unfortunately, the experiences were all a little wonky.

That’s unfortunate because the magic keyboard is very limited in a lot of ways that the DOQO isn’t.
And overly expensive, too. In truth, the MKB is really more of a "keyboard dock" than a "keyboard case". I'm considering going back to my Smart Keyboard Folio.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
And overly expensive, too. In truth, the MKB is really more of a "keyboard dock" than a "keyboard case". I'm considering going back to my Smart Keyboard Folio.
Yes for what it offers it is grossly overpriced almost to the point I could use a wonky Bluetooth version if I really needed a Bluetooth keyboard in that setup. I mean come on give us some media keys like the other apple produced keyboards.

For my needs, The Logitech combo touch set up has been working for me although that isn't perfect either.

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond

I have had my Logi Combo Touch for two months now and still love it. It is standing up well to a lot of use. Has fully protected my iPad Pro from two drops now without a mark or malfunction on the LCT. Like the Magic Keyboard, the LCT has the smart connector so you do not have to worry about charging it, or having to depend on a Bluetooth connection. It easily detaches from the keyboard while still giving it protection and a fully adjustable kickstand. The typing experience is A#1, and the bigger multitouch trackpad has all the gestures we Apple folk are used too. I have not yet experienced any hiccups with the trackpad or keyboard. I cannot understand why Apple would put such a small trackpad on the MKB, and no shortcut keys either. For the much higher price, you would expect a superior product and user experience. But just the opposite is true. In this case, you definitely get less and pay more. Don't get me wrong. I love Apple and the hardware products they make but you can find just as good if not better accessories for less elsewhere. IMO, the LCT is a better product for much less $$ than the MKB.

Things I would miss if I had to give up the LCT.

1. Protection on the edges.
2. Being able to remove the backlit keyboard and still have it in a case with a fully adjustable kickstand.
3. The larger, multi touch click anywhere track pad. It's frigging amazing.
4. The material the MKB is made of smudges and marks up easily. The LCT material is tough and does not.
5. And probably my favorite, the really convenient full row of iPadOS shortcut keys.

I would not hesitate recommending the LCT to anyone looking for a great keyboard case for their iPad. I have not had anything but a good experience with it and many other Logitech products.

LCT = Logi Combo Touch
MKB = iPad Magic Keyboard

iPad and Combo Touch.jpg
IMG_8448.jpg
IMG_8445.jpg
IMG_8425.jpg

Last edited:

JMStearnsX2

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2020
I have had my Logi Combo Touch for two months now and still love it. It is standing up well to a lot of use. Has fully protected my iPad Pro from two drops now without a mark or malfunction on the LCT. Like the Magic Keyboard, the LCT has the smart connector so you do not have to worry about charging it, or depending on a Bluetooth connection. It easily detaches from the keyboard while still giving it protection and a fully adjustable kickstand. The typing experience is A#1, and the bigger multitouch trackpad has all the gestures we Apple folk are used too. I have not yet experienced any hiccups with the trackpad or keyboard. I cannot understand why Apple would put such a small trackpad on the MKB, and no shortcut keys either. For the much higher price, you would expect a superior product and user experience. But just the opposite is true. In this case, you definitely get less and pay more. Don't get me wrong. I love Apple and the hardware products they make but you can find just as good if not better accessories for less. IMO, the LCT is a better product for much less than the MKB.

2. Being able to remove the backlit keyboard and still have it in a case with a fully adjustable kickstand.
4. The material the MK is made of smudges and marks up easily. The LCT material is tough and does not.
5. And probably my favorite, the really convenient full row of iPadOS shortcut keys.

I would not hesitate recommending the LCT to anyone looking for a great keyboard case for their iPad. I have not had anything but a good experience with it and many other Logitech products.

LCT = Logi Combo Touch

View attachment 1973328 View attachment 1973333 View attachment 1973332 View attachment 1973329
I also have this case on my iPad Pro and love it. Seems very high quality, I've had it since August 2021 and it still looks like it did when I bought it.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
I have had my Logi Combo Touch for two months now and still love it. It is standing up well to a lot of use. Has fully protected my iPad Pro from two drops now without a mark or malfunction on the LCT. Like the Magic Keyboard, the LCT has the smart connector so you do not have to worry about charging it, or depending on a Bluetooth connection. It easily detaches from the keyboard while still giving it protection and a fully adjustable kickstand. The typing experience is A#1, and the bigger multitouch trackpad has all the gestures we Apple folk are used too. I have not yet experienced any hiccups with the trackpad or keyboard. I cannot understand why Apple would put such a small trackpad on the MKB, and no shortcut keys either. For the much higher price, you would expect a superior product and user experience. But just the opposite is true. In this case, you definitely get less and pay more. Don't get me wrong. I love Apple and the hardware products they make but you can find just as good if not better accessories for less elsewhere. IMO, the LCT is a better product for much less than the MKB.

4. The material the MK is made of smudges and marks up easily. The LCT material is tough and does not.

LCT = Logi Combo Touch

View attachment 1973328 View attachment 1973333 View attachment 1973332 View attachment 1973329
I also had the MKB and ended up going with the LCB because of many of the reasons you’ve mentioned and honestly, a big part of that was the MKB price. With that price there’s just too much missing starting with a case and indirectly forcing the best iPad ux to be used as a macbook lite.

I love the LCB. In a perfect world, when the iPad disconnected from the keyboard it could switch to a Bluetooth connection so I can mount my iPad higher so it’s eye level and less strain on my neck when going heavy laptop mode. Also tip of my Apple Pencil needs to be replaced because there’s nothing securing it to the iPad on the LCB.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
I have had my Logi Combo Touch for two months now and still love it. It is standing up well to a lot of use. Has fully protected my iPad Pro from two drops now without a mark or malfunction on the LCT. Like the Magic Keyboard, the LCT has the smart connector so you do not have to worry about charging it, or depending on a Bluetooth connection. It easily detaches from the keyboard while still giving it protection and a fully adjustable kickstand. The typing experience is A#1, and the bigger multitouch trackpad has all the gestures we Apple folk are used too. I have not yet experienced any hiccups with the trackpad or keyboard. I cannot understand why Apple would put such a small trackpad on the MKB, and no shortcut keys either. For the much higher price, you would expect a superior product and user experience. But just the opposite is true. In this case, you definitely get less and pay more. Don't get me wrong. I love Apple and the hardware products they make but you can find just as good if not better accessories for less elsewhere. IMO, the LCT is a better product for much less than the MKB.

LCT = Logi Combo Touch

I wanted to like the LCT, but for me it added too much bulk and weight to the iPad, and the kickstand was too flimsy for lap use. But, I’m glad that other people like it. It’s good to have a lower-priced alternative to the MKB that also uses the Smart Connector.

Last edited:

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
I wanted to like the LCT, but for me it added too much bulk and weight to the iPad, and the kickstand was too flimsy for lap use. But, I’m glad that other people like it. It’s good to have a lower-priced alternative to the MKB that also uses the Smart Connector.
What keyboard did you end up going with?

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
I had the Magic Keyboard for a while, but felt it was limited in ways others here have mentioned (despite it being a beautiful white color). So, I recently sold it.

I prefer to use my iPad as a tablet with occasional keyboard support for heavy typing. So I ended up with the Apple Smart Keyboard Folio. It’s lightweight, folds over backwards for tablet use and is waterproof. No trackpad, but I’m exercising my brain by learning all of Apple’s keyboard shortcuts. The only thing I really miss from the MKB is the backlit keys.

I know it’s an unpopular choice in this forum, but it works for me. Especially as I got for $100 of (brand new) on EBay.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
I had the Magic Keyboard for a while, but felt it was limited in ways others here have mentioned (despite it being a beautiful white color). So, I recently sold it.

I prefer to use my iPad as a tablet with occasional keyboard support for heavy typing. So I ended up with the Apple Smart Keyboard Folio. It’s lightweight, folds over backwards for tablet use and is waterproof. No trackpad, but I’m exercising my brain by learning all of Apple’s keyboard shortcuts. The only thing I really miss from the MKB is the backlit keys.

I know it’s an unpopular choice in this forum, but it works for me. Especially as I got for $100 of (brand new) on EBay.
If I'm being honest I use my iPad more as a tablet 90% of the time and as an additional monitor the rest of the time.

That being said I also wanted to get something with the trackpad since going into "laptop" mode usually includes a trackpad experience.

If I had to I could live without the heft of the LCB set up and just go with the folio option.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
I used MKB + cheap magnetic folio case (use from ESR), both fits really well and complement each other. If you can accept the cost, I don’t think there is any comparable product which is as comfortable (to type and use trackpad in iPad) as MKB.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
I used MKB + cheap magnetic folio case (use from ESR), both fits really well and complement each other. If you can accept the cost, I don’t think there is any comparable product which is as comfortable (to type and use trackpad in iPad) as MKB.
Can you post a pic?

I agree the overall typing and trackpad experience are more comfortable on the MKB although the trackpad is bigger and almost as responsive on the combo touch

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
A new Doqo model is about to release where it actually issues a direct connection and basically adds a docking station to the MKB style setup.

Looks interesting and could possibly solve the Bluetooth trackpad issues. Just hope it’s retail price isn’t close to the MKB retail price.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
A new Doqo model is about to release where it actually issues a direct connection and basically adds a docking station to the MKB style setup.

Looks interesting and could possibly solve the Bluetooth trackpad issues. Just hope it’s retail price isn’t close to the MKB retail price.

Quite promising. Lot of ports and direct connection. I hope it has same / less weight and more affordable price compared to Apple’s MK.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
Quite promising. Lot of ports and direct connection. I hope it has same / less weight and more affordable price compared to Apple’s MK.
Based on their previous items it'll be cheaper but not super cheap.

Since it's more of a dock and not powered by a battery maybe it'll be lighter.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Based on their previous items it'll be cheaper but not super cheap.

Since it's more of a dock and not powered by a battery maybe it'll be lighter.
In 0:53, it showed that it has battery, maybe it will be heavier than Apple’s MK (which doesn’t have battery). But let see when it releases.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
In 0:53, it showed that it has battery, maybe it will be heavier than Apple’s MK (which doesn’t have battery). But let see when it releases.
I am curious to see if the direct connection can fix the super sensitive trackpads on the Bluetooth version of these types of setups.

Pretty smart workaround to bypass the “magic connector port”. A minor compromise imo.

I can live without backlit keys if that's the only reason for a battery if that means a lighter keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.