Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jxdawg

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2019
This mouse feature is useless, you can’t get back to the home screen with your mouse, still need to touch the screen.

You can customize keys to preform certain actions. If I press my scroll wheel I have it setup to go to the home button.

Reactions: Freakonomics101

DjMilitary

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2020
This mouse feature is useless, you can’t get back to the home screen with your mouse, still need to touch the screen.
You can, drag your mouse down and below. There are many gestures but MM1 scrolling doesn’t work ??

cola79

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
You can customize keys to preform certain actions. If I press my scroll wheel I have it setup to go to the home button.

yes, but only with activated assistive touch. i could do that before, so this new mouse feature just makes it worse, you still can’t use the mouse without assistive touch, so i wonder why they present this now as a new feature, when it isn’t possible to get to the home screen without additional steps.

cutter74

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2012
Yep, same here; MM1 does not scroll. Can anybody confirm whether MM2 is fully functional and configurable for all gestures, including getting back to the home screen or do we have to buy a trackpad for that? The magic trackpad 2 is amazing for home/office use but I don't see myself using it in a mobile setup.

psimac

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2011
Kirkland, WA
According to MacRumors and other sites, MM1 and Trackpad 1 are compatible with iPad OS 13.4. I’ve tried both today and I have no scrolling capability or any other gestures—only point and left click work. Something is amiss. I had Assistive Touch set up before when I was playing with previous mouse support. I wonder if something has carried over? Did you all try Assistive Touch before?

DjMilitary

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2020
According to MacRumors and other sites, MM1 and Trackpad 1 are compatible with iPad OS 13.4. I’ve tried both today and I have no scrolling capability or any other gestures—only point and left click work. Something is amiss. I had Assistive Touch set up before when I was playing with previous mouse support. I wonder if something has carried over? Did you all try Assistive Touch before?
Yes. Still not working.

derdante

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
Same issue here with the MM1. What's hilarious is that my MX Master 2 does work as well and does scroll. Kinda ridiculous that third-party hardware works better.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
Yep, same here; MM1 does not scroll. Can anybody confirm whether MM2 is fully functional and configurable for all gestures, including getting back to the home screen or do we have to buy a trackpad for that? The magic trackpad 2 is amazing for home/office use but I don't see myself using it in a mobile setup.

Edit: apologies, below I describe Magic Trackpad 2 functionality, not Magic Mouse 2. For some reason your last sentence about the MT2 was what stuck to my mind.

MT2 is fully functional:

Slide cursor forcefully to the top right corner of the screen: bring down control center
Slide cursor forcefully to elsewhere on the top of the screen: bring down notifications
Slide cursor forcefully to the right edge of the screen while in an app: bring up slideover app
Slide cursor to the bottom of the screen: bring up dock
Keep sliding cursor down once dock is up, while in an app: app switcher, followed by home screen

Two-finger swipe up /down: scroll
Two finger swipe right / left: back / forward (Safari for instance); activate swipe actions on list items (Files for instance)
Two finger swipe right / left in notifications: show widgets / camera

Three / four finger swipe up half way: app switcher
Three / four finger swipe up half way in slideover app: slideover app switcher
Three / four finger swipe up all the way: close app, notifications, control center, camera

Three / four finger swipe right / left: switch to previous / next app
Three / four finger swipe right / left in slideover app: switch to previous / next slideover app

MT2 configuration options available:

General / Trackpad: tracking speed, natural scrolling on / off, tap to click on / off, two-finger secondary click

Accessibility / Pointer Control: automatically hide pointer on (delay) / off, pointer animations, trackpad inertia on / off, scrolling speed

Home Screen & Dock / Multitasking: Gestures on / off (enables / disables the various gestures listed above)

On a personal note, the pointer felt weird until I turned off trackpad inertia. Now it's nicely under control. I'm also still looking for information on how to hide slideover app.

Last edited:
Reactions: cutter74

psimac

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2011
Kirkland, WA
Ok, I talked to one of my Apple buddies and he said M1 and TP1 does not support scrolling. I went looking around on Apple’s website and found this...

B339933A-8A23-4F3D-A291-A64827704854.jpeg

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009

Cyroceon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Ok, I talked to one of my Apple buddies and he said M1 and TP1 does not support scrolling. I went looking around on Apple’s website and found this...

View attachment 900990

So, not a bug, unfortunately.

This is very sad, and just confirmed accurate, unfortunately. Horrible implementation. No reason MM1 shouldln’t be able to scroll. Useless feature addition for those of us with MM1 or MT1.

NinjaTendo

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2020
Washington State
I'm in the same boat with all of you regarding the revelation of Magic Mouse v1 incompatibility in iPadOS 13.4. I just complained to them about it at apple.com/feedback. Feel free to unload on them about this seemingly anti-consumer practice of artificially phasing out hardware like this. Hopefully if they hear enough of our fury, they'll include support for it.

I actually thought I had the V2 Magic Mouse... and that dumb mouse with the little grey ball on top was the V1... and I now realize that was the "Mighty" Mouse - haha. I had no idea there was 2 iterations of the glassy-topped multi touch mouse.

Daniel H

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2018
Just figured out that when you move your cursor down near the dock and it pops up, if you keep moving down you’ll get back to the home screen. I have the same scrolling issue though, very annoying. If I had the feedback assistant I would leave some so hopefully they would fix it...

Reactions: treypiepmeier

theonekcrow

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Indiana
The Magic Mouse 1 will work with iPad OS, but it is basically unusable... I am going to sell mine and I got a $20 Logitech mouse from Walmart that works a lot better. This will hold me over until the magic keyboard is available.

Carlo_Melbourne

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2020
It always amaze me how hungry for money is this company and how fool we all are listening to them say that they do everything for the benefit of people! I am lucky enough to have both a magic mouse 1 and a magic mouse 2. Ignoring the fast that the designer of the magic mouse 2 is an incompetent (how can you put the charging port below the mouse??????.... but probably they think many people will buy a second one for when the first one is charging) both mouses connect to the ipad. Anyhow, as many of you correctly pointed out, only for the magic mouse 2 the scrolling works. I am 100% sure this is not accidental. It is to force people to buy the magic mouse 2. Anyhow, I just keep the 1 for the mac and the 2 for the ipad. They only difference between the two mouses is that one is rechargeable with a cable (I just use rechargeable batteries for the other one :)).... Basically zero innovation over the last years and only more and more expensive products! For a trillion dollars company I would expect top notch research and really innovative products. Anyway, it is unbelievable...

Reactions: NinjaTendo

Eweie

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2013
It always amaze me how hungry for money is this company and how fool we all are listening to them say that they do everything for the benefit of people! I am lucky enough to have both a magic mouse 1 and a magic mouse 2. Ignoring the fast that the designer of the magic mouse 2 is an incompetent (how can you put the charging port below the mouse??????.... but probably they think many people will buy a second one for when the first one is charging) both mouses connect to the ipad. Anyhow, as many of you correctly pointed out, only for the magic mouse 2 the scrolling works. I am 100% sure this is not accidental. It is to force people to buy the magic mouse 2. Anyhow, I just keep the 1 for the mac and the 2 for the ipad. They only difference between the two mouses is that one is rechargeable with a cable (I just use rechargeable batteries for the other one :)).... Basically zero innovation over the last years and only more and more expensive products! For a trillion dollars company I would expect top notch research and really innovative products. Anyway, it is unbelievable...

k.
[automerge]1585124255[/automerge]
It's funny that my Mighty mouse works flawlessly. but being like 20 years old the latency isn't as good as my MM1.

henckel

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2020
my Magic Mouse 1 also not support scrolling and as tested by other people, not support the back and home button at all.

podajmigoajvarot

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2020
This is beyond frustrating. Why are they supporting cheap bluetooth mice and not their own? I have a MM1 and previously I could at least click and drag to scroll now I can't even do that. I really hope they will fix this in future software update... :rolleyes:

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
It seems that Apple may have deliberately crippled the Magic Mouse 1 and Trackpad 1. If they have and its not a bug that is truly shocking.

Also does anyone know how to pair the maci mose 2 to my iPad Pro? Its currently paired to my mac, but I am unable to put the mouse into discoverable mode and I have tried connecting it directly to the iPad with a USB-C to Lightning cable.

Mi_ka

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2020
MT1 crippled down over here too, on an 2017 12,9’’... (that was just paid off after 2 years of finance and recently developed LCD light bleed on its own while it has always been babied on a desk for its whole life).... and now they want to force an extra 8% of its value as payment for no other apparent reason than executive bonuses - no they will not get any more eurodollars from me - my ’08 MBP will soldier on until time finally come to migrate away, they have progressively gone too far with grit over the years and us oldtimers get increasingly alienated to the brand

and what is that with no proper arrow pointer option to pinpoint things? to keep the Macbook line safe from cannibalization?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Magic Mouse 1 - No scrolling or swiping. Effectively useless.
Magic Mouse 2 - Scrolls and swipes fine. However, many apps not really set up for mouse support yet, so still not that useful overall. Also, some of the stuff that does work is kinda buggy.

We're not there yet guys. It seems to me iPadOS 13.4 is to get the developers on board and iPadOS 14 may be the real release for mouse and trackpad support (not including Magic Mouse 1 or Magic Trackpad 1). In the meantime, it's almost moot anyway, since the Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro won't even be out for 2 more months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.