Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NinjaTendo

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2020
Washington State
Meh. It’s likely they require different drivers due to different chipsets, and Apple couldn’t be bothered to write complete drivers for a discontinued model that is now over a decade old. No nefarious conspiracy here.

For comparison: You can hack modern versions of macOS to work on old MacBooks. However, trackpads on some models, but not others from the same era, have incomplete support because the internal hardware is different, even though the outward functionality is the same to the end user on older supported versions of OS X.

I thought the code bases (including code for hardware drivers) of the full desktop MacOS and iOS were essentially the same now? So wouldn't it stand to reason that when the MM1 and MM2 work exactly the same on desktop, that they could likewise enable the same functionality on iOS with very little effort? The age of the device should not matter in this case... They should support their own ecosystem of devices. A 9-year-old peripheral is really not that old. Yes, that is a long time for standalone devices like iPads and iPhones that age & slow based on continually updating software and battery degradation. But peripherals should have a MUCH longer life span, especially in a closed ecosystem like Apple's.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I thought the code bases (including code for hardware drivers) of the full desktop MacOS and iOS were essentially the same now? So wouldn't it stand to reason that when the MM1 and MM2 work exactly the same on desktop, that they could likewise enable the same functionality on iOS with very little effort? The age of the device should not matter in this case... They should support their own ecosystem of devices. A 9-year-old peripheral is really not that old. Yes, that is a long time for standalone devices like iPads and iPhones that age & slow based on continually updating software and battery degradation. But peripherals should have a MUCH longer life span, especially in a closed ecosystem like Apple's.
I'm not a programmer, but it's clear the mouse interface between the Mac and the iPad Pro are vastly different.

BTW, the Magic Mouse 1 is 11 years old.

NinjaTendo

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2020
Washington State
I'm not a programmer, but it's clear the mouse interface between the Mac and the iPad Pro are vastly different.

BTW, the Magic Mouse 1 is 11 years old.
Ok, 11 years old and yet the 22-year-old Apple "Hockey Puck" USB mouse likely works on iPad Pro with no issues (other than cleaning off the track ball rollers - haha!). That and virtually any other USB mouse with physical buttons and scroll wheels that can be easily programmed in the mouse settings in iPadOS 13.4.

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Ok, 11 years old and yet the 22-year-old Apple "Hockey Puck" USB mouse likely works on iPad Pro with no issues (other than cleaning off the track ball rollers - haha!). That and virtually any other USB mouse with physical buttons and scroll wheels that can be easily programmed in the mouse settings in iPadOS 13.4.
I think this is the point: pretty much any mouse, except the MM, works the same. So, if they support one, they support all.

The MM works quite differently, so it has a specific driver. Apple could probably have made that also work for MM1, but decided not to do it because it's so old. Still, I wish they had.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, the hockey puck probably works... with no scrolling of course. The Magic Mouse is a non-standard mouse, one with basically a trackpad built-in.

RAMM

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2016
Chicago
Oh no, not the gesture.. but with “click and move” to scroll and adding second button click to go to home setting (to go to home) long press to second button click to activate Siri and other settings like this. Is not the jesture user experience but I can use mm1 better now...

Hi there, picking this up again as I haven‘t been able to get my MM1 to scroll. Can you please share a step-by-step guide on how to enable this to work on the MM1? I understand it’s not perfect but some scrolling is better than none... Thanks again.

Rramnel

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2017
A new iPadOS beta just got released. 13.4.5. Can anyone check if scrolling works on MM1 in the new Beta?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
A new iPadOS beta just got released. 13.4.5. Can anyone check if scrolling works on MM1 in the new Beta?
I have not tested 13.4.5, but don't count on official scrolling support ever to come to Magic Mouse 1 in iPadOS.

Apple has officially chosen not to support scrolling on Magic Mouse 1 or Magic Trackpad 1, and has even indicated so in their official iPadOS support document.

"iPadOS doesn't support scrolling or other gestures with Apple Magic Mouse (1st generation) or Magic Trackpad (1st generation)."

Reactions: Rramnel

Rramnel

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2017
That's disappointing from Apple. I thought it was just a bug, didn't realize that they officially dropped the support for magic mouse 1.

Thanks for this info.

Reactions: Mi_ka

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
WITH DA Magic Mouse ONE, IS THERE A WAY TO SCROLL WITHOUT TUCHING THE SCREEN? LIKE A SCROLL BAR APPEARING WHEN YOU HUVER RITE?

bitkahuna

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2013
Late to the party but just fished out my old Magic Trackpad (1 presumably), all excited to use with my iPad Pro (2018) 12.9. Got it paired, tried scrolling, hmm... what am I doing wrong.

Then this... https://support.apple.com/guide/ipad/learn-magic-trackpad-gestures-ipad66ce6358/ipados

Not supported... ugh.

Really weak Apple. I know it's old, but every bluetooth mouse works for scrolling with the wheel, and I can use my old Magic keyboard with the iPad too no issue...

Hopefully this will get added, but I'm not optimistic.

toughkitty5

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2011
I prefer magic mouse 1 & magic trackpad 1 because I can change batteries myself. I also hope they'll get added.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Thats pretty absurd

if you want scrolling and Magic Mouse 2, buy one off eBay or craigslist and just sanitize the hell out of it. Problem solved and no $ goes to Apple. I got a barely used MM2 space grey for $25 locally. But not to stick it to Apple (and before 13.4 scrolling came out, iPad is still on 13.3), but because $99 is absurd for a mouse.

Can't believe they'd do planned obsolescence as crudely as that, MM1 and MM2 being the same minus removable batteries vs. internal.. but it is Apple

Nisha D. Nish

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2020
I got a 2018 refurbished 12.9 IPad Pro Thursday. Yesterday I connected MM1 and keyboard that came with 2011 iMac. It worked fine. It scrolled!
Today, I can get mouse to work. For some reason, it stopped connecting and I changed batteries. Now, it works but will NOT scroll. What is this about? Was it an accident and they had to quickly disable it from working so I would buy a new one?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I got a 2018 refurbished 12.9 IPad Pro Thursday. Yesterday I connected MM1 and keyboard that came with 2011 iMac. It worked fine. It scrolled!
Today, I can get mouse to work. For some reason, it stopped connecting and I changed batteries. Now, it works but will NOT scroll. What is this about? Was it an accident and they had to quickly disable it from working so I would buy a new one?
MM1 scrolling is not supported on iPadOS. It never worked for me, and I tried it weeks ago.

Bearygoodfries1

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2020
I was planning on getting the Logitech Pebble mouse, but since I still had my old Magic Trackpad from my original iMac, I figured I’d use that and save a few bucks.

Ugh, this totally sucks!

How are we not able to scroll using the original trackpad?!

I guess I’ll spend some cash on that mouse after all (I don’t want to spend over 100 bucks for a track pad...).

greyhounder

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2020
I managed to get my Magic trackpad 1 to work in a fashion by doing these steps.

Pair trackpad.
Settings - Accessibility - Touch - AssistiveTouch - AssistiveTouch Turned ON
under custom actions section
Single-Tap - changed to Hold and Drag (fixes scrolling, press and drag on touchpad)
under pointer devices
Always show menu - OFF (gets rid of the accessibility button on screen)

No multi gesture that i imagine you get with 2nd gen mouse and touch pads, but means i can now use my touchpad 1 on my new iPad for now to scroll and navigate.

Definitely not perfect but it works.

Bearygoodfries1

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2020
I managed to get my Magic trackpad 1 to work in a fashion by doing these steps.

Pair trackpad.
Settings - Accessibility - Touch - AssistiveTouch - AssistiveTouch Turned ON
under custom actions section
Single-Tap - changed to Hold and Drag (fixes scrolling, press and drag on touchpad)
under pointer devices
Always show menu - OFF (gets rid of the accessibility button on screen)

No multi gesture that i imagine you get with 2nd gen mouse and touch pads, but means i can now use my touchpad 1 on my new iPad for now to scroll and navigate.

Definitely not perfect but it works.

Aww, it didn’t work for me.

It works in settings, but not web pages...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.