Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sam Murray

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2020
yes, but only with activated assistive touch. i could do that before, so this new mouse feature just makes it worse, you still can’t use the mouse without assistive touch, so i wonder why they present this now as a new feature, when it isn’t possible to get to the home screen without additional steps.
If your drag the cursor all the way to the bottom hard enough the dock will show, then you will return to the home screen. This works with the original magic trackpad. Also interestingly enough I connected my Logitech mouse with the dongle to a camera connection kit and everything works, scrolling right clicking etc. It‘s better than the magic trackpad

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
If your drag the cursor all the way to the bottom hard enough the dock will show, then you will return to the home screen. This works with the original magic trackpad. Also interestingly enough I connected my Logitech mouse with the dongle to a camera connection kit and everything works, scrolling right clicking etc. It‘s better than the magic trackpad
Which iPad are you running. Dragging the cursor all the way to the bottom of my iPad Pro 10.5” will show my dock, but it won’t take me to the home screen.

NinjaTendo

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2020
Washington State
Which iPad are you running. Dragging the cursor all the way to the bottom of my iPad Pro 10.5” will show my dock, but it won’t take me to the home screen.

When I move the cursor to the bottom of the screen with my MM1, it first pops up the dock and as you continue dragging it further past that (pretty much dragging my mouse off my desk) it will reveal the homepage. This is on my newer 7th generation iPad.

Paulyboy

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2007
I'm having the same problems with my mouse except my mouse is a special head operated mouse called the Quha Zono. In Safari and Mail, for example, I can no longer ”grab” the screen anywhere to swipe up and down for scrolling. Instead it does something else like grabbing a chunk of text or moves an interface element to a different location in the side bar for Mail. Scrolling of any kind seems to be either impossible or a pixel hunt. The only way to get around it is to turn on voice control and do it that way which isn't always possible depending on where I am.

So this is a major step back from the previous version of iPadOS 13. Please bring back the old way. I will send this to support as well.

Reactions: Mi_ka

Sam Murray

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2020
When I move the cursor to the bottom of the screen with my MM1, it first pops up the dock and as you continue dragging it further past that (pretty much dragging my mouse off my desk) it will reveal the homepage. This is on my newer 7th generation iPad.
Original IPad Pro 12.9” and Magic Trackpad v1. Works much better with the Logitech mouse with the dongle Attached to a camera connection kit. The former is not very responsive the latter is perfectly smooth for all functions. Unfortunate that a third party mouse works better than an Apple product. And I don’t know why the version with the dongle works better than a third party mouse paired directly via Bluetooth. Please fix this Apple!
[automerge]1585161078[/automerge]
I’m running the original 12.9” iPad Pro with the MM1. Works perfectly with logitech mouse with dongle attached camera connection kit tho - scrolls with the scroll wheel and everything.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Ah yes. Continue dragging... until almost off the desk. Then it goes to the home screen. Interestingly, if you continue dragging some more, it brings up the App Switcher screen.

This doesn't have to be done all in the same motion. Once the dock comes up, you can pick up the mouse and move it back, and then start dragging down again. Then the screen will pop up. Repeat for app switcher.

Reactions: NinjaTendo

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Ah yes. Continue dragging... until almost off the desk. Then it goes to the home screen. Interestingly, if you continue dragging some more, it brings up the App Switcher screen.

This doesn't have to be done all in the same motion. Once the dock comes up, you can pick up the mouse and move it back, and then start dragging down again. Then the screen will pop up. Repeat for app switcher.
You can also click the floating black bar at the bottom to get to the home screen.

martinorob

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2016
Verona VR
I've solved scrolling and gesture with my MM1 and iPad Mini4 with assistive touch (hiding the assistive touch floating icon). Works well...

NinjaTendo

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2020
Washington State
I've solved scrolling and gesture with my MM1 and iPad Mini4 with assistive touch (hiding the assistive touch floating icon). Works well...
So you got both finger swiping gestures and scrolling working on your MM1? Can you share your step-by-step process and settings that you used to make this work? I cannot get my iPad to recognize the touch surface of my MM1 at all?

martinorob

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2016
Verona VR
So you got both finger swiping gestures and scrolling working on your MM1? Can you share your step-by-step process and settings that you used to make this work? I cannot get my iPad to recognize the touch surface of my MM1 at all?
Oh no, not the gesture.. but with “click and move” to scroll and adding second button click to go to home setting (to go to home) long press to second button click to activate Siri and other settings like this. Is not the jesture user experience but I can use mm1 better now...

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Sorry, just curious. What are the use cases where mouse is mandatory for iPad? I mean, I can understand usage of external keyboard versus on-screen keyboard. But external mouse vs (more intuitive) touch screen?

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Oh no, not the gesture.. but with “click and move” to scroll and adding second button click to go to home setting (to go to home) long press to second button click to activate Siri and other settings like this. Is not the jesture user experience but I can use mm1 better now...
Sorry, I don't quite understand how this can be made to work. Where is click and move setting?
[automerge]1585181032[/automerge]
Sorry, just curious. What are the use cases where mouse is mandatory for iPad? I mean, I can understand usage of external keyboard versus on-screen keyboard. But external mouse vs (more intuitive) touch screen?
I guess the idea is that when you do use the iPad with an external keyboard, it is more natural to also use a mouse rather than the keyboard, especially for text selection.

NinjaTendo

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2020
Washington State
For me, it makes for a fairly lighter setup for doing website updates (in a cluttered CMS where being precise matters) for instances where I'm away from my main work computer and don't want to tote around my heavier 2015 MacBook. And equally, I personally think it is good to push companies like Apple to stay receptive to user feedback and stop intentionally phasing out perfectly usable hardware.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
In my case:

1. VPN to my workplace, where the work machine is a Windows desktop (or any desktop OS). With the touch interface, my VPN software is basically unusable, because a touch interface cannot be seamlessly mapped to a desktop interface based on a mouse/touchpad. Actually, right now it's still unusable even with the mouse, since my VPN software hasn't been updated to accommodate Apple mice and generic mice. It's currently setup for their own proprietary mice (which they sold because iOS didn't support mice).
2. Spreadsheets. It's a royal pain with a touch interface.
3. Word processing. It's just easier with a mouse, particularly when copy and pasting.

Hell, even just dealing with some emails is easier with a mouse, again particularly when copy and pasting, etc.

NinjaTendo

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2020
Washington State
Plus, I'm just tired of Apple telling me I don't want a touch-screen Mac. Umm... Yes, actually I do. :) I would actually buy a Windows Surface if I wasn't already so deep into the Apple ecosystem.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Plus, I'm just tired of Apple telling me I don't want a touch-screen Mac. Umm... Yes, actually I do. :) I would actually buy a Windows Surface if I wasn't already so deep into the Apple ecosystem.
Yeah, but I think Apple tried to compensate that with luxury trackpad on laptop & iMac.

NinjaTendo

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2020
Washington State
Yeah, but I think Apple tried to compensate that with luxury trackpad on laptop & iMac.
If they were really serious about expanding their platforms with new peripherals and abilities, they should start with the ones they already developed rather than completely dropping support like they’re doing with the MM1 on iPad. Just seems like a weird move is all.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
If they were really serious about expanding their platforms with new peripherals and abilities, they should start with the ones they already developed rather than completely dropping support like they’re doing with the MM1 on iPad. Just seems like a weird move is all.
? MM1 wasn’t officially supported in the first place so how could its support be dropped? Plus, MM1 is 11 years old. It was released in 2009.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
How to change the "friction" for scrolling in Safari?

On the Mac, a flick of the finger makes it scroll for a while, but it quickly slows down due to its programmed "friction".

However, on the iPad, the friction is much, much less, so a flick of the finger leads to a scroll that keeps on going for much longer.

Is there a setting for this somewhere? I'd like the Mac and iPad to have similar friction in scrolling.

NinjaTendo

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2020
Washington State
? MM1 wasn’t officially supported in the first place so how could its support be dropped? Plus, MM1 is 11 years old. It was released in 2009.
Both the MM1 and MM2 function EXACTLY the same and I’ve seen no evidence that there is any difference in the technology on the inside other than the power supply. So why only support the MM2 and every other mouse on earth from other manufacturers and NOT support their own original MM model. We‘re not talking about old iPhones not being able run newer OSs because it would slow too much to be usable or whatever reasoning Apple chooses for that scenerio. We’re talking about 2 essentially identical versions of the same mouse and they chose not to support the original, likely in an attempt to force people into buying their new model... double dipping. Why don’t they prevent the ball on the Mighty Mouse from working while they’re at it... get even more money from people still using that thing. It’s all shady.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Both the MM1 and MM2 function EXACTLY the same and I’ve seen no evidence that there is any difference in the technology on the inside other than the power supply. So why only support the MM2 and every other mouse on earth from other manufacturers and NOT support their own original MM model. We‘re not talking about old iPhones not being able run newer OSs because it would slow too much to be usable or whatever reasoning Apple chooses for that scenerio. We’re talking about 2 essentially identical versions of the same mouse and they chose not to support the original, likely in an attempt to force people into buying their new model... double dipping. Why don’t they prevent the ball on the Mighty Mouse from working while they’re at it... get even more money from people still using that thing. It’s all shady.
Meh. It’s likely they require different drivers due to different chipsets, and Apple couldn’t be bothered to write complete drivers for a discontinued model that is now over a decade old. No nefarious conspiracy here.

For comparison: You can hack modern versions of macOS to work on old MacBooks. However, trackpads on some models, but not others from the same era, have incomplete support because the internal hardware is different, even though the outward functionality is the same to the end user on older supported versions of OS X.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rusty33

Mi_ka

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2020
have incomplete support because the internal hardware is different
ok, so why have them working in crippled mode and not have them totally excluded from connection?
the MT1 is still working fine on any Mac - why not on the iPad? if hardware reasons, just say “no-no” and save us old time owners from nagging

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.