Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h4lp m3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
New Orleans
I have a 13 PM and I'm almost ready to switch to this iPhone SE, but I'm still a little hesitant to pull the trigger...
IMG_3802.jpeg

WHY DOWNGRADE? The 13PM is just so big and bulky and I'm willing to sacrifice all that camera stuff like Telephoto, Portrait and Wide because I really REALLY love the 4-inch form factor that I can carry in my Levi's 5th pocket and forget about it (plus, I love the headphone jack). I'll still be able to use Apple Pay and use it with my Watch 5, but what I'm really concerned about it THINGS NOT WORKING CORRECTLY due to the fact that the SE can only go up to IOS 15.7.5. and other things I might have overlooked.

IS THIS DANGEROUS? What problems can I expect?

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Currently I have no apps not working because of iOS 15 itself.
But recently I noticed more and more apps not to be suited properly for the small screen anymore.
Meaning, fields to enter text simply cannot be selected because the keyboard is in the way and the apps interface is not designed to be scrollable.
I have to put the text/password in the clipboard and then select the field and click paste.
I cannot evaluate how critical Safari security updates actually are that soon won't come to iOS 15 anymore.
Because of a good deal, I recently acquired a 13 mini as its successor (which unfortunately causes heavy nausea for me).

EDIT: other cons of the SE:
- no Continuity Camera
- no Spatial Audio (if you own eligible Airpods)
- Shortcuts.app is missing some features (like activating VPN)
- doesn't support NFC tags (only Apple Pay)
- no SMS functionality via WiFi-Calling (may differ for your carrier)
- no wireless charging / MagSafe
- not compatible with iCloud Advanced Data Protection
- Battery shows its age and all 3rd party replacements performed very poorly for me (but Apple still offers a replacement for $69)

Last edited:

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I would get a 13 mini. More modern internals means more long term support.

You can get them cheaper from Apple's refurb site. Meaning new battery and eligibility for AppleCare.

The SE design and form factor are going to be obsolete soon enough

theMarble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2020
Earth, Sol System, Alpha Quadrant
The SE design and form factor are going to be obsolete soon enough
I'd say that the 4.0" design (from the 5/5S) is already dead. Modern versions of iOS and especially third party apps are not made with a screen that small in mind. I think that the design of the SE 2 and 3 (from the 7) still has time left in it, but the differences between it and the newer design are getting bigger each year now.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I have a 13 PM and I'm almost ready to switch to this iPhone SE, but I'm still a little hesitant to pull the trigger...
View attachment 2202507
WHY DOWNGRADE? The 13PM is just so big and bulky and I'm willing to sacrifice all that camera stuff like Telephoto, Portrait and Wide because I really REALLY love the 4-inch form factor that I can carry in my Levi's 5th pocket and forget about it (plus, I love the headphone jack). I'll still be able to use Apple Pay and use it with my Watch 5, but what I'm really concerned about it THINGS NOT WORKING CORRECTLY due to the fact that the SE can only go up to IOS 15.7.5. and other things I might have overlooked.

Why does your 13 PM have a cracked screen?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
View attachment 2202507

One obvious thing…you won't get 5G. The SE and the SE2 do not support 5G. You're LTE only.

One perhaps not so obvious thing…you can't restore a backup made on a newer version of iOS to a phone on an older version of iOS.

So, if you were thinking you could restore an iOS 16 backup to a phone running iOS 15, you can't.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
-The Apple Watch needs a certain iOS version depending on the WatchOS version running on it (although you can ask Apple to downgrade the watch if I am not mistaken).

-If your 13 Pro Max is on iOS 16, you can’t restore a backup of it into the SE.

-Battery life will be a lot worse.

The rest should all be fine.

Reactions: ConcernedCitizen

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
So, if you were thinking you could restore an iOS 16 backup to a phone running iOS 15, you can't.
-If your 13 Pro Max is on iOS 16, you can’t restore a backup of it into the SE.
Well, it's not officially supported by Apple hence no guarantee that everything works, but just leaving the info here that you can - if you have a local backup and edit the following section of the Info.plist to contain the proper (lower) version.
Code:
<key>Product Version</key>
<string>16.4.1</string>

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Well, it's not officially supported by Apple hence no guarantee that everything works, but just leaving the info here that you can - if you have a local backup and edit the following section of the Info.plist to contain the proper (lower) version.
Code:
<key>Product Version</key>
<string>16.4.1</string>
Now that you mention it, I had read about that once but I inexplicably forgot. Thanks for the information!

As you can probably infer, I’ve always started from scratch, but it’ll come handy to OP and perhaps somebody else who reads this.

Reactions: arw

h4lp m3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
New Orleans
I've already ran into my first problem... Can't restore from a 13 Pro backup due to IOS 16.
IMG_3816.jpeg

Should I restore from an old iPhone 7 back up OR an iPad from today?
What's most important to me is transferring all my iMessages to the SE, but after playing this game about 50 times, I'm expecting failure because I have NEVER ONCE successfully synced all of my iMessages from one device to another and had 100% off all my messages and attachments be there.

On Messages for macOS you have a Sync Now button, but I don't think it exists for iPhone yet.
Screen Shot 2023-05-15 at 8.35.24 PM.png

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Should I restore from an old iPhone 7 back up OR an iPad from today?
I'd do neither but try the following first:
Connect your 13 PM via USB to a Mac/PC and create a lokal backup with Finder/iTunes.
Then edit the file according to post #12.
Connect your SE via USB and restore from the up-to-date backup.
The location of the backup/file depends on the OS you are using.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
If you're signed in to iCloud the messages should restore regardless of backup. As for backups themselves it's unknown what data will be erased due to incompatibility or wrong versions of apps or iOS or device.

Overall it's still usable but you'll be making compromises as you've already seen. Ideally the SE would've been already set up pre-iOS 16 so it would have its own backups that would be up-to-date.

DarthDon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2020
It's not a SE 1rst Gen. 1rst Gen had a Design like Iphone 5. I bought one, bec it was cheap. Don't take the SE (all of them until now) when you com from a pro. The SE can only be a Backupphone. In all those years i had so many iphones. That's why i tell you - get a 12 or 13 mini if you want a smaller size. They are much, much better. Look for a sealed / unused one, so it will stay for many years to come.
Compare them @ Apple: https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
I cannot remember exactly when, but relatively recently Apple introduced a new system for Reminders.
As long as any of your devices uses the new system, the reminders would not be accessible by the SE (I don’t have time to check for sure, but I believe the SE cannot handle the new reminders).

Reactions: xxray

Berti10

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2012
View attachment 2202507

Why not both. Since you already own them, set them both up, get a duplicate sim which is often just 5$/month and use whichever device you want.

Berti10

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2012
Why not both. Since you already own them, set them both up, get a duplicate sim which is often just 5$/month and use whichever device you want.
Besides, have you tried using that old device. Had my 8+ for a battery replacement and used the 6 for that hours in between. Battery did not even lasted 2h, photos without smartHDR were really bad, it was slow and got hot very quickly which drained battery fast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.