Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Darren.h

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2023
I WENT BACK TO AN iPhone 8 MYSELF FROM THE IPHONE 14 MAX. MY 14 MAX GOT STOLEN OUT OF MY CORVETTE. I HAD INSURANCE AND COULD HAVE GOTTEN ANOTHER ONE FOR THE $1700 I PAID BUT ALL THE BELLS AND WHISTLES ON THE 14 MAX DID NOT REALLY IMPRESS ME. AND I DID NOT LIKE HAVING SUCH A COSTLY PHONE.

AND I MISS PUTING MY IPHONE IN MY PANTS POCKET LIKE WHEN I OWNED AN iPhone 5s. THE 14 MAX WAS TOO BIG OF A SCREEN. AND THEY WANT TO GO BIGGER ON THE IPHONE 15 MAX OR 16.

BACK TO BEING HAPPY AND SATISFIED . IF I NEED BETTER PICTURES I WILL USE A REAL CAMERA INSTEAD OF A PHONE.

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
I WENT BACK TO AN iPhone 8 MYSELF FROM THE IPHONE 14 MAX. MY 14 MAX GOT STOLEN OUT OF MY CORVETTE. I HAD INSURANCE AND COULD HAVE GOTTEN ANOTHER ONE FOR THE $1700 I PAID BUT ALL THE BELLS AND WHISTLES ON THE 14 MAX DID NOT REALLY IMPRESS ME. AND I DID NOT LIKE HAVING SUCH A COSTLY PHONE.

AND I MISS PUTING MY IPHONE IN MY PANTS POCKET LIKE WHEN I OWNED AN iPhone 5s. THE 14 MAX WAS TOO BIG OF A SCREEN. AND THEY WANT TO GO BIGGER ON THE IPHONE 15 MAX OR 16.

BACK TO BEING HAPPY AND SATISFIED . IF I NEED BETTER PICTURES I WILL USE A REAL CAMERA INSTEAD OF A PHONE.
You don't need to speak in all caps.. :/

BadMacRumours

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2022
Toronto, Ontario
Currently I have no apps not working because of iOS 15 itself.
But recently I noticed more and more apps not to be suited properly for the small screen anymore.
Meaning, fields to enter text simply cannot be selected because the keyboard is in the way and the apps interface is not designed to be scrollable.
I have to put the text/password in the clipboard and then select the field and click paste.
I cannot evaluate how critical Safari security updates actually are that soon won't come to iOS 15 anymore.
Because of a good deal, I recently acquired a 13 mini as its successor (which unfortunately causes heavy nausea for me).

EDIT: other cons of the SE:
- no Continuity Camera
- no Spatial Audio (if you own eligible Airpods)
- Shortcuts.app is missing some features (like activating VPN)
- doesn't support NFC tags (only Apple Pay)
- no SMS functionality via WiFi-Calling (may differ for your carrier)
- no wireless charging / MagSafe
- not compatible with iCloud Advanced Data Protection
- Battery shows its age and all 3rd party replacements performed very poorly for me (but Apple still offers a replacement for $69)
If it causes nausea try limiting the screens refresh rate in accessibility.

dustin_

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2021
Banderas Bay, Mexico
I went from a 13 Pro to a 13 mini & it was an excellent decision; but I can't imagine going from a 13-era device to the original SE - sounds like a major headache to me. I've gotta recommend the same thing as others - sell the devices you have and pick up a refurbished 13 mini.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
I've already ran into my first problem... Can't restore from a 13 Pro backup due to IOS 16. View attachment 2202564

Should I restore from an old iPhone 7 back up OR an iPad from today?
What's most important to me is transferring all my iMessages to the SE, but after playing this game about 50 times, I'm expecting failure because I have NEVER ONCE successfully synced all of my iMessages from one device to another and had 100% off all my messages and attachments be there.

On Messages for macOS you have a Sync Now button, but I don't think it exists for iPhone yet.
View attachment 2202575
Not much to say, but do love your nails. 👍

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
I'd use that iPhone as a new one, only sync iCloud and install only the most crucial apps. Try it out for a few weeks! and also: KEEP the 13!. You can also use the SE as your travel phone, and keep the 13 at home as your home base phone ;).

Oh and make sure you have an extra battery with you whilst on the road. That SE goes through a full charge in a few hours of use...

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
This is a different se.
My son had the SE1 (2016 model) from 2017 to 2021 as his primary phone. No complaints from him.

So, unless we are speaking of the SE3 which no one in my family has owned, I think I've covered my bases here.

Reactions: klasma

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
As others have mentioned, you will be downshifting quite a bit, including going back to iOS 15 with the original SE. You would be much better off selling your 13 Pro Max and getting a new 13 mini then. The most obvious difference will be in its battery life (mini’s is much shorter than 13 PM, yet way better than the original SE ever was). Another obvious one - no ProMotion.

OneBar

Suspended
Dec 2, 2022
I have a 13 PM and I'm almost ready to switch to this iPhone SE, but I'm still a little hesitant to pull the trigger...
View attachment 2202507
WHY DOWNGRADE? The 13PM is just so big and bulky and I'm willing to sacrifice all that camera stuff like Telephoto, Portrait and Wide because I really REALLY love the 4-inch form factor that I can carry in my Levi's 5th pocket and forget about it (plus, I love the headphone jack). I'll still be able to use Apple Pay and use it with my Watch 5, but what I'm really concerned about it THINGS NOT WORKING CORRECTLY due to the fact that the SE can only go up to IOS 15.7.5. and other things I might have overlooked.

IS THIS DANGEROUS? What problems can I expect?
What kind of Levis are you wearing? I couldn't even stick my 4s in the fifth pocket.

Aside from that, the original SE is about to be obsolete isn't it?

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
The only other thing I haven't seem mentioned is that apple has added cellular bands to the phones post SE. You may experience worse cellular coverage, depending on your carrier & where you live.
Bluetooth range is also worse. It’s one of the things that made me switch to the mini although I prefer the SE 1 form factor.

I’m still on 15.x though, so in principle I could still switch back. :)

sers

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
I’m still using my first gen SE. Still don’t see a reason to upgrade. I don’t have an AW, though, nor do I take a lot of pictures. I just love this form factor and how easy it fits in my hand and pocket. I’ll probably go to a 13 mini once my SE becomes unusable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.