Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I would get a 13 mini. More modern internals means more long term support.

You can get them cheaper from Apple's refurb site. Meaning new battery and eligibility for AppleCare.

The SE design and form factor are going to be obsolete soon enough

This, yes the SE is a classic design but it no longer will get updates.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
It doesn’t get iOS updates but will still receive security updates for a good few years yet

Ah thanks. Didn't know that. Won't apps eventually stop working in it though? I'm not sure how that works?

Reactions: RRC

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
SE1's battery is not viable on iOS 15. It loses 30% battery in a day just sitting untouched on a counter. I bought a new condition SE last year, the seller even charged it now and then to maintain it's battery health at 100%. I set it up as a new phone, everything was great. I signed into iCloud, and battery life went to hell. I never even intended it as a daily driver, but couldn't last a week

It's a beautiful dream, but that's all.

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Sure the battery is not as good as the new iPhones, but if you’re light user, the OG SE will be great phone, and the latest iOS works perfectly.

Reactions: klasma

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
SE1's battery is not viable on iOS 15. It loses 30% battery in a day just sitting untouched on a counter. I bought a new condition SE last year, the seller even charged it now and then to maintain it's battery health at 100%. I set it up as a new phone, everything was great. I signed into iCloud, and battery life went to hell. I never even intended it as a daily driver, but couldn't last a week

It's a beautiful dream, but that's all.
It’s fine as a daily driver. I used a new SE’16 for a year through 2022 however, even though the battery health was still at 100%, there were issues due to the phone being within a sealed box for almost 6 years. I ended up getting a battery replacement from Apple and was able to get over 5 hours per day of screen on time.

auxbuss

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2014
UK
Yes, eventually developers have a cut off for older iOS versions for the latest updates. But that usually doesn't happen for years, though.
I have an iPad I use as a e-reader that's stuck on iOS12. It still gets app updates. And Nov/Dec last year got an iOS update from Apple.

Reactions: AppleKarma

Choco Taco

Suspended
Nov 23, 2022
I have an iPad I use as a e-reader that's stuck on iOS12. It still gets app updates. And Nov/Dec last year got an iOS update from Apple.
Like I said, it's generally years before devs cut off support for an older OS. It also depends on the dev. Some are just very nice with their app updates. Some suck and only support the latest 1-2 year old versions of iOS. Some only support the very latest OS.

h4lp m3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
New Orleans
One obvious thing…you won't get 5G. The SE and the SE2 do not support 5G. You're LTE only.

One perhaps not so obvious thing…you can't restore a backup made on a newer version of iOS to a phone on an older version of iOS.

So, if you were thinking you could restore an iOS 16 backup to a phone running iOS 15, you can't.
YOU ARE SO RIGHT!
I need to prepare for this BIG TIME. Thank you!!!

Reactions: eyoungren

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Would it not be better to get a SE 2022 or a 13 Mini so that you are at least able to be on the latest version of iOS? If you are using features like Apple Pay and doing banking transactions on your phone I think you’d want to ensure that you are able to get security updates regularly which you won’t get on the original iPhone SE at this point.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
If I could go back- just for a little bit of time- I'd use the 4S. Sadly AT&T (or really any other U.S. carrier) won't activate it.

mebehere

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2012
I think this post is spam-o. The question is easily answered without anyone answering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.