Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Another great news is that the DLC is also coming to Mac. It wasn't mentioned first when they announced the main game release. They're also making a VR version for PS2 so I wouldn't be surprised if it would be demoed on Apple's VR headset too.

Skärmavbild 2022-09-16 kl. 11.48.46.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Colstan

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Andrew Tsai has released a new video covering the latest on Resident Evil Village for the Mac:

As he states, Capcom's website has listed the system requirements. It will be released this year, and apparently be Apple Silicon only.
View attachment 2065156

So, even though Metal 3 supports AMD Vega and 5000/6000 series, this game will not, while every Apple Silicon Mac ever sold will. This is a clear sign that the Intel era is winding down, and the Apple Silicon era of Mac gaming is beginning.
So it looks like MetalFX or even Metal 3 isn't required (since the game appears to run on Monterey). Not sure how to take that since the promo stuff made it seem like MetalFX was needed to get good performance at the resolutions talked about.

Reactions: Irishman

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
So it looks like MetalFX or even Metal 3 isn't required (since the game appears to run on Monterey). Not sure how to take that since the promo stuff made it seem like MetalFX was needed to get good performance at the resolutions talked about.

Maybe it refers to minimum and recommended system requirements?

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
As he states, Capcom's website has listed the system requirements. It will be released this year, and apparently be Apple Silicon only.
revas.jpg

So, even though Metal 3 supports AMD Vega and 5000/6000 series, this game will not, while every Apple Silicon Mac ever sold will. This is a clear sign that the Intel era is winding down, and the Apple Silicon era of Mac gaming is beginning.
Apple isn't interested in Intel anymore, their transition is almost complete and then they will ditch x86 like they did with 6502, 68k and PPC before. And AMD GPUs can't be run with AS (at least for now), which they also have no interest in (except maybe for compute). They've been shopping around for AS only projects for a while now and the Capcom deal was one of these. Other studios didn't agree to it. This is probably going to hurt them short term, as they're missing sales but it won't matter long term as Intel Macs are "dead". The more interesting question is, what is Capcom going to do once the deal runs out? Are they going to release an Intel version then, do nothing or run like Nintendo did? And in addition, will Apple be able to get the cut they expected from AS versions or are they going to flip and allow an Intel version if the AS version won't get their investment in this deal back?

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
If capcom is willing to do this, how about releasing the remasters on Mac too.
Money rules the world. 🤷‍♂️
If Capcom finds the sales of Village are high enough to cover the costs of porting for the remakes + enough to update and maintain them with enough profit left, they will do it. Otherwise, it's really up to Apple to make a deal for it.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Some relative but interesting data. The number of Mac gamers with Apple Silicon on Steam had the biggest increase in the past month.

Skärmavbild 2022-09-20 kl. 01.20.21.png

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
So another 3 to 4 years before Apple has an answer to DLSS 3’s frame generation tech?

I doubt that Apple will ever go there. You need insane amount of training data to pull it off, and Nvidia has been working on it for years.

hoo-man-b-ing

Cancelled
Mar 13, 2022
Not sure, maybe not but still a good sign they keep them coming.
I’d read it more as a “neutral” rather than “good” sign since they already have an established user base and (presumably) CI pipeline to support existing macOS builds, meaning it’s likely an incremental cost if anything. But perhaps I’m more pessimistic than you.

I’m curious if/how Apple sees this situation turning around, or even if they currently feel the need to. It’s great to get some wins like Resident Evil and No Man’s Sky, but those titles don’t seem like they’ll shift the tide. As much as I’d love to, I don’t see the situation significantly changing short of Apple:
- buying a major studio (unlikely since developing games is not a core competency for them)
- engaging in some sort of deep partnership with a major publisher for (timed) exclusive ports
- making Metal cross-platform and incentivizing developers to use it (extremely unlikely)
- introducing a major competitive advantage that can only be delivered on Apple hardware (e.g., novel AR/VR experience, unprecedented performance/experience, etc.)

I get the impression Apple is content to let Apple Arcade continue to play out for a few more years while they grow their Apple Silicon user base, occasionally partner on a major game like Resident Evil, and continue improving Metal until it’s objectively better (or highly competitive) with competing APIs before making any major ($1B+) investments.

Mr47

Suspended
May 21, 2022
Has there been WoW DLC that hasn’t come to macOS?
Yeah and they were the first with a full native silicon version, perhaps the first with Metal back in the days?
Anyways they get help from Apple. I am curious if the new expansion Dragonflight will make use of the new Metal 3, the current beta doesn't have it yet as also people not really running Ventura, but they might have it on the roadmap with help of Apple.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I doubt that Apple will ever go there. You need insane amount of training data to pull it off, and Nvidia has been working on it for years.
Yeah, if we take nvidia at face value, the performance increase they just unveiled for RT is wild, especially considering the 4080 12GB draws 285W and can match or beat a 350W 3080ti (and in some cases match even the 3090).

I still think Apples ML hardware could help, though word on the street is that nvidia is using FP8 for this frame insertion tech, does Apple's ML hardware support FP8?

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
These look interesting. Red Frost is a story-driven first-person survival game with Metro vibes coming to Mac in 2022. It's Drago Entertainments first Mac port. They released Gas Station Simulator for Win last year with very positive Steam reviews and appear to have plans for a Mac port too. There is a Mac depot on Steam created this year.

Another one is Urban explorer, "a first-person perspective exploration game with parkour mechanics and horror elements". It's also Pyramid/Woodlands games first Mac game.

The third game is Arctic Awakening coming in 2023. "A first-person narrative adventure set in the unforgiving Arctic."

Haunted Space is a horror space ship sim. "Experience the horrors of the void alone. Battle capital ships and Lovecraftian creatures amongst the stars in a horror-laced space simulation." It appears to be Italian Games Factory's first game for Mac and only one on Steam.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
So another 3 to 4 years before Apple has an answer to DLSS 3’s frame generation tech?

Worth mentioning that DLSS 3 is limited to 4000-series cards so the vast majority of gamers won't be able to use it for a long time, especially considering how unhappy people are with the new prices.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Worth mentioning that DLSS 3 is limited to 4000-series cards so the vast majority of gamers won't be able to use it for a long time, especially considering how unhappy people are with the new prices.
Nvidia has admitted the older cards can run a slower less precise version, I suspect if sales are low enough they may back port.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Yeah, if we take nvidia at face value, the performance increase they just unveiled for RT is wild, especially considering the 4080 12GB draws 285W and can match or beat a 350W 3080ti (and in some cases match even the 3090).

I still think Apples ML hardware could help, though word on the street is that nvidia is using FP8 for this frame insertion tech, does Apple's ML hardware support FP8?

Yeah, but all three of nVidia’s new 4000 series skus are - effectively - between 3 and 4 slot cards. It’s like they’re screwing over gamers who don’t have cases with sufficient free space. Unless I’m misunderstanding the situation?

And the power draws are insane, as well.

And losing EVGA, too.

Last edited:

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Yeah, but all three of nVidia’s new 4000 series skus are - effectively - between 3 and 4 slot cards. It’s like they’re screwing over gamers who don’t have cases with sufficient free space.

And the power draws are insane, as well.

And losing EVGA, too.
From what I can see power draw isn’t actually that bad in 40 series (so far). Yeah the 4 slot coolers are no good, but some vendors offer water cooled units that are slimmer (you just need radiator space).

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
Not sure, maybe not but still a good sign they keep them coming.
Problem with WoW on the Mac is that there is literally no Mac development team... meaning support is abysmal at best. Just read the comments about alpha and beta of Dragon Flight on the Mac and you will clearly see that the Mac version is absolutely bottom on their list to deal with.

The game may run... but if there are issues, they may or may not get fixed. If you don't mind paying a subscription to a game that plays sub-optimally to its PC counterpart due to lack of developer support... all the power to you.

You really are getting a sub-standard product in every sense of the term.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Problem with WoW on the Mac is that there is literally no Mac development team... meaning support is abysmal at best. Just read the comments about alpha and beta of Dragon Flight on the Mac and you will clearly see that the Mac version is absolutely bottom on their list to deal with.

The game may run... but if there are issues, they may or may not get fixed. If you don't mind paying a subscription to a game that plays sub-optimally to its PC counterpart due to lack of developer support... all the power to you.

You really are getting a sub-standard product in every sense of the term.
If there’s no Mac development team working on WoW, then who did the optimization for Apple Silicon? Who made it work with Metal, before that?

Reactions: Homy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.