Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
So no, I don’t believe that people do this. And no, streaming texture data on demand and reusing handles/allocations is not the same as using a million textures.
And yet, that's what people do. 🤷‍♂️

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
And yet, that's what people do. 🤷‍♂️

Do what exactly? Load 60GB+ worth of textures into 8-16GB of VRAM? How would that work?

I gave to admit I am a bit frustrated by this exchange because what you write just seems so vague and nonspecific. I think it would be helpful if we stuck to concrete examples, problems or use cases. You obviously know your stuff and I would really like to better understand what you mean, but I need a bit more to work with. For example, I would be very interested in knowing more details about resource use patterns you mention and why you think Apple APIs can’t support them. In other words, what is this exactly that people do and why wouldn’t it work in Metal.

Reactions: Irishman

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
Do what exactly? Load 60GB+ worth of textures into 8-16GB of VRAM? How would that work?

I gave to admit I am a bit frustrated by this exchange because what you write just seems so vague and nonspecific.
No not that. I'm also frustrated by writing in this subforum in general, as we're going in circles and some of the died-hard fans are trying to nit-pick when there's nothing to pick on and it takes me hours to write stuff. I currently don't have the time to write a full example of API workflow and differences, which will probably be a few pages long. Maybe I'll do so with a detailed example of an actual Windows/Linux/Mac project I'm currently working on. This isn't a game though, it's a digital twin and simulation with Unity.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
No not that. I'm also frustrated by writing in this subforum in general, as we're going in circles and some of the died-hard fans are trying to nit-pick when there's nothing to pick on and it takes me hours to write stuff. I currently don't have the time to write a full example of API workflow and differences, which will probably be a few pages long. Maybe I'll do so with a detailed example of an actual Windows/Linux/Mac project I'm currently working on. This isn't a game though, it's a digital twin and simulation with Unity.

Totally understandable. If you ever find the time and can PM me with more info, I’d be grateful.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
I gave to admit I am a bit frustrated by this exchange because what you write just seems so vague and nonspecific. I think it would be helpful if we stuck to concrete examples, problems or use cases.

I have to say that unfortunately I know the feeling after some longer discussions in the other thread. What he calls nitpicking other may call critical thinking against some generalized, questionable and contradictory claims about Mac gaming. I guess it’s for the better to keep such discussions in the other thread were the general consensus is that ”Macs suck at gaming” and any effort by anyone to improve the situation is meaningless. "Resistance is futile. We are the Borg".

Reactions: Mr47 and Irishman

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
No Man's Sky just got its "Endurance" update. Great graphics for an "old" game and the players are both surprised and very positive.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
No Man's Sky just got its "Endurance" update. Great graphics for an "old" game and the players are both surprised and very positive.

They have done this game great service. No IAP, free updates with more content. One time cost! Frankly I am not sure where they get the funding to keep doing this.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
They have done this game great service. No IAP, free updates with more content. One time cost! Frankly I am not sure where they get the funding to keep doing this.
Yes, people ask the same on Youtube, but it's good news for the Mac release. :)

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006

And, all of the environments are procedurally created (randomly), right?

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden

This is another recent video showing the history and how the game has evolved. All the updates and DLCs have been free. Lots of new stuff for Mac gamers when we get the game later this year.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
So do we think RE8 will require MetalFX to get 30fps at 1080p on the M2 Air?
Don't really think so. It has great performance even on old GPUs. You get 60+ fps at 1080p Max even on GTX 1660. I think you can definitely get 30 without upscaling on M2 Air. You get 30+ on M2 Air in Shadow of the Tomb Raider at 1080p Ultra and that game isn't even native. RE8 will be native, is not as demanding and will use Metal 3.

index.php

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Don't really think so. It has great performance even on old GPUs. You get 60+ fps at 1080p Max even on GTX 1660. I think you can definitely get 30 without upscaling on M2 Air. You get 30+ on M2 Air in Shadow of the Tomb Raider at 1080p Ultra and that game isn't even native. RE8 will be native, is not as demanding and will use Metal 3.

index.php
huh, for some reason I thought this game was heavier on graphics than it actually is. Looking at the article, even turning on RT doesn't bring the fps down as much as it does in other titles.

Reactions: Irishman and Homy

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Careful - you are talking about desktop GPUs. The GTX 1660 is nominally a bit faster than the M1 Pro

Yes? My calculations are based on actual benchmarks, no matter the type of GPU. He asked about M2 getting 30 fps, not 60. GTX 1660 gets about 72 fps in Shadow of the Tomb Raider at 1080p Ultra and M2 10c gets 31, i.e. 1660 is x2.32 faster. In RE Village 1660 gets 86.6 fps at 1080p Max (62 fps here). M2 being 2.32x slower would do 37.3 fps, especially when Tomb Raider is not native but RE will be.

Last edited:

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Yes? My calculations are based on actual benchmarks, no matter the type of GPU. He asked about M2 getting 30 fps, not 60. GTX 1660 gets about 72 fps in Shadow of the Tomb Raider at 1080p Ultra and M2 10c gets 31, i.e. 1660 is 2.32x faster. In RE Village 1660 gets 86.6 fps at 1080p Max (62 fps here). M2 being 2.32x slower would do 37.3 fps, especially when Tomb Raider is not native but RE will be.

Ah, makes sense, sorry, I misunderstood.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Yes? My calculations are based on actual benchmarks, no matter the type of GPU. He asked about M2 getting 30 fps, not 60. GTX 1660 gets about 72 fps in Shadow of the Tomb Raider at 1080p Ultra and M2 10c gets 31, i.e. 1660 is 2.32x faster. In RE Village 1660 gets 86.6 fps at 1080p Max (62 fps here). M2 being 2.32x slower would do 37.3 fps, especially when Tomb Raider is not native but RE will be.
I am also pretty excited to see how well Hello Game's NMS engine (voxel based) is converted to work on Apple Silicon.

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
I'm very cautious about performance of any game ported to the Mac, especially from developers that have little experience with coding high-end game engines for macOS/TBDR GPUs. Metal 3 does not guaranty that a port will perform well.
I've been disappointed before.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I'm very cautious about performance of any game ported to the Mac, especially from developers that have little experience with coding high-end game engines for macOS/TBDR GPUs. Metal 3 does not guaranty that a port will perform well.
I've been disappointed before.
It will def be interesting because, AFAIK, voxels don't use the standard rasterization pipeline so I am not sure how helpful TBDR will be in this case. @leman or @GrumpyCoder do you have any insights?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.