Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
I'm enjoying the game; it is entertaining. However, i find it pretty easy.

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
Loving this game so far! I've never been a big Mario fan, but I've only ever played the 2D Mario's. This is my first 3D Mario, and all's I can say is, WOW. Tight controls and mechanics (love the hat!), great art style, music and humor. The game is accessible to both casuals (most anyone can beat the main story) and to hard corps (100% completionist). This game puts a big smile on my face every time I play.

I've been suffering a bit of open world RPG fatigue lately, and this game is just the ticket to cure that. I can pick up for a quick session to grab a moon or two, or go in depth and complete a world or two. I know a game is good when I look up at the clock and hours have elapsed and I don't even know it, and then no matter how late and tired I may be, I say 'just one more moon' and keep playing.

I thought Zelda:BotW was a bit overrated, but not Mario Odyssey, it deserves a 10.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I think you'll be retracting that at a later point...beware the dark...... :) I am 341 moons in and there are a few challenges that have me screaming and I got ALL the stars in SM64.
Getting the 120 stars in SM64 honestly is hard but not very hard. The Grandmaster Galaxy (one life point purple comet version) from Super Mario Galaxy 2 is actuallly very hard
This game is perfect.
No game is ever perfect. Mario Odyssey has it's flaws too.
(Not sure you will see my comment as I suspect you have blocked me but others will see it though which is a good thing.)

Personally I would give Mario Odyssey an 8.5 or 9 out of 10. Not a perfect game (no game ever is perfect) and the flaws in Mario Odyssey are there for all to see, but the game is very fun and I would recommend it to all Switch owners.

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
Got through the "campaign", and got ~150 moons so far. (@deckard666 ..and yeah the difficulty does ramp up after that)

I liked Galaxy more than Odyssey..all subjective reasons...
-Odyssey seems like a mismash of styles. (Luncheon kingdom is the most garish video game level i have ever played)
-The music isnt as good as in Galaxy.
-The visuals....while technically superior than Galaxy, dont seem to evoke that "Mario feel"... i dont know if its the Unreal engine, or the shading model or something else.

Don't get me wrong, Odyssey is a great game, and there's much fun to be had. But i just like Galaxy more.

Last edited:
Reactions: phillytim

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
Getting the 120 stars in SM64 honestly is hard but not very hard. The Grandmaster Galaxy (one life point purple comet version) from Super Mario Galaxy 2 is actuallly very hard

No game is ever perfect. Mario Odyssey has it's flaws too.
(Not sure you will see my comment as I suspect you have blocked me but others will see it though which is a good thing.)

Personally I would give Mario Odyssey an 8.5 or 9 out of 10. Not a perfect game (no game ever is perfect) and the flaws in Mario Odyssey are there for all to see, but the game is very fun and I would recommend it to all Switch owners.

Not this old chestnut again - nothing is perfect but some things are 10/10 all day long - beethovens 9th, a sunrise, ocarina of time, The Shining. There is no value in having a scoring system where the whole range is not used. Odyssey is not In BOTW's league for me and therefore in all honesty probably a 9.5 but my god nintendo have got off to a good start with the Switch - always a laugh now to look back at the naysayers as hindsight is 20/20 :)

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
So, for someone like me who only played Super Mario 64 (skipped the gamecube, wii, wii u marios - and I have no clue why, probably because I jumped on the dreamcast, ps2, xbox wagon and never looked back), will I find Odyssey a lot of fun to play?

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2017
So, for someone like me who only played Super Mario 64 (skipped the gamecube, wii, wii u marios - and I have no clue why, probably because I jumped on the dreamcast, ps2, xbox wagon and never looked back), will I find Odyssey a lot of fun to play?
You have Sonic in your avatar, so you'll find anything fun to play.

KIDDING! But yeah, you didn't say if you liked SM64 or not. If you did, Odyssey should be a great fit.

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
You have Sonic in your avatar, so you'll find anything fun to play.

KIDDING! But yeah, you didn't say if you liked SM64 or not. If you did, Odyssey should be a great fit.

Haha, I enjoyed sonic 1,2,3 S&N, CD, Sonic Adventure 1+2, and Sonic Generations. Waiting to buy a switch to get mania, and unfortunately heard forces was just eh.

I did enjoy SM64, so thats welcomed news.

JohnGrey

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2012
Cincinnati Metro
Not this old chestnut again - nothing is perfect but some things are 10/10 all day long - beethovens 9th, a sunrise, ocarina of time, The Shining.

As queer as it feels to write this, I agree with @the8thark on this one. I really despise ten scores and don't think they ought to be handed out. The rating exists to define the upper bound on the traditional rating scale, but it should be a unicorn. It's something that's done either in a fit of hype and hyperbole, or it's done for clicks.

There is no value in having a scoring system where the whole range is not used. Odyssey is not In BOTW's league for me and therefore in all honesty probably a 9.5 but my god nintendo have got off to a good start with the Switch - always a laugh now to look back at the naysayers as hindsight is 20/20 :)

There's every value to it, in that it represents at the very least an inclination to realistic critique. Nothing in any medium can ever be perfect, otherwise that piece of art would immediately disqualify addition to the medium from which it comes. Unless you're seriously suggesting that there never ought to be another game after Super Mario Odyssey, then it shouldn't be given a perfect score. It's fun, competent and somewhat inventive, but it's not remotely perfect. I wouldn't even call in a 9. High sevens at best. Why? Because it's not going to change the industry. Super Mario Bros. practically defined video games for a generation. Super Mario 64 provided an entirely novel experience in movement translation in games, and in the process inaugurated nearly a decade of mascot-driven 3D platforms, paving the way for Crash, Banjo and Conker. Super Mario Odyssey is just another competent platformer with a fresh coat of paint and cute gimmick. Not a paradigm shift in sight.

Last edited:

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
Well you're in the minority but I see your point.

10/10 is not the same as perfect - paradigm shifting is a poor way to score as Dragons Lair changed the medium but god it was ***** and haven't all the good stories and games and paintings and music already been done then ? How different can a something made from audio waves or graphics be within that medium ? Beethoven's 9th was just more of the same but no-one would say that wasn't 10/10 all day long...

JohnGrey

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2012
Cincinnati Metro
Well you're in the minority but I see your point.

10/10 is not the same as perfect -

Erm...yes, it is. Where ratings are concerned, it is, or at least reasonably should be, the mathematical definition of perfection. Every other rating represents a quantitative value that is bereft of simplicity of perfection: it's a fractional value or a percentage. 10/10 = 1, a value that has profound cultural and pyschological meaning. It represents absolute sufficiency and integrity of content; no flaw or absent remainder mars its excellence. A 10/10 should be the ideal for which all developers should strive whilst understanding the impossibility of attaining that ideal. Indeed, it is that tension between goal and execution which alone will push any medium forward. Neither consumer nor producer is served by such ratings. The only party served is the one that uses to gain attention, i.e. 'professional' review sites.

paradigm shifting is a poor way to score as Dragons Lair changed the medium but god it was ***** and haven't all the good stories and games and paintings and music already been done then ? How different can a something made from audio waves or graphics be within that medium ? Beethoven's 9th was just more of the same but no-one would say that wasn't 10/10 all day long...

Regarding Dragon's Lair, you're confusing popularity with impact. Like that game, fidget spinners were hugely popular...for about six months. How many revisions of the fidget spinner concept have you seen? How many games in the Don Bluth style, and didn't come from Don Bluth, were released? Then think on Super Mario Bros. How many direct competitors did its quality and success spawn, how did advancements and revisions to its formula push us into new and even better experiences? Same with Super Mario 64.

Lastly, for the Ninth, I would say it, and that's as someone that's performed it. I won't argue that it's not ubiquitous but that's attributable to music appreciation courses. Musically and on the whole it's a good work, though it pales next to the majesty of the Third, but I always found the fourth movement to be grating. The first section is a brilliant and the scherzo is first rate, but it simply descends into Romantic equivalent of hair metal, just constant screeching bombast.

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
I'll defer to the great gaming god that is Edge then :) so if we go with your counting score of 1-9 then is BOTW a 9 along with galaxy and super mario world and will then have to drop the scores of "just" good games to 8 ? I wouldn't be that impressed as a bystander if a great game got 8 ? TBH out of a 100 seems better to me as then you can give all the truly legendary stuff 99 - In fact nosing through my magazines today of Uncut, auto car and empire some seem even more trigger happy by only having ratings of up to 5 out of 5 ! Edge have said a few times about getting rid of scores altogether...

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
I'd like to go back to a discussion about how much fun Mario Odyssey is. That is much more fun to me than bickering about scoring systems.

So here goes: I think the level design of this game is outstanding, and it feels like everything is there to make you smile. And the game is constantly rewarding you for every step you take. Those moons are EVERYWHERE! This game just really speaks to the child in me that loved Super Mario World in the 90s and makes me happy just playing it. :)

Reactions: twietee and iLunar

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
Yes it's a great game I totally agree and covers such a variety of skill levels too. I think the lack of death as such was a great move.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Not this old chestnut again - nothing is perfect but some things are 10/10 all day long - beethovens 9th, a sunrise, ocarina of time, The Shining. There is no value in having a scoring system where the whole range is not used. Odyssey is not In BOTW's league for me and therefore in all honesty probably a 9.5 but my god nintendo have got off to a good start with the Switch - always a laugh now to look back at the naysayers as hindsight is 20/20 :)
I totally get your point about 10/10 and lets just say we agree to disagree.

However we both agree that the Switch is off to a great start. All the naysayers were so wrong. 20/20 hindsight of cause :)
[doublepost=1511153133][/doublepost]
That's the whole point. It's designed to be fun and easy. Accessible for anyone 3 years and older. That's one of the main differences SMO has to all other 3D Mario games. In my opinion it's one of the reasaons why the game is so good.

sirenized

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2008
This game is blowing away all reviews.. looking like the switch might be the hot item this holiday season!
(This could be a generational console potential, my first console was original Nintendo on Christmas.. such vivid memories)

Mine too. My sister and I got it from my aunts and uncles. I remember that present opening so vividly. I just purchased my nephew a switch for Christmas and of course I needed my own. I haven't played video games since wii came out and the platform was kinda blah that it quickly died away into a pile of dustbunnies.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Got through the "campaign", and got ~150 moons so far. (@deckard666 ..and yeah the difficulty does ramp up after that)

I liked Galaxy more than Odyssey..all subjective reasons...
-Odyssey seems like a mismash of styles. (Luncheon kingdom is the most garish video game level i have ever played)
-The music isnt as good as in Galaxy.
-The visuals....while technically superior than Galaxy, dont seem to evoke that "Mario feel"... i dont know if its the Unreal engine, or the shading model or something else.

Don't get me wrong, Odyssey is a great game, and there's much fun to be had. But i just like Galaxy more.
Galaxy really is the gold-standard for Odyssey to beat; and I haven't played Mario since then, nor have I had a home console since the Wii.

It wasn't until the Super Mario Odyssey bundle that I felt compelled to get a Switch; I've been itching to play Mario again, and I could not resist those sweet Mario-red joycons. Glad I didn't put it on my Christmas list, because it's nearly impossible to find anymore!

But I'm seriously loving Odyssey, and am taking my time to savor the journey. Whether it's better or not than Galaxy - I think it's akin to having several children: you love them all, just a bit differently for each one.

Odyssey is open-world, whereas Galaxy is still a rather linear platformer (some people are more comfortable with true platformers, as they like to be pushed along in a logical path). But boy does Galaxy shine bright, still to this day for me!

Last edited:
Reactions: hawkeye_a

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
The first go was definitely extremely easy. I did just finish it and can now access Mushroom Kingdom. It seems noticeably more challenging and I'm just at the very beginning. The first 2D section and that head statue with two fists took me a few tries. Now I understand why they all say it gets better after finishing it the first time.

Just curious, how many power moons did you guys collect when you finished it the first time? I got 305, and in like 5 kingdoms all the local coins.

Reactions: hawkeye_a

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
I finished the "campaign" with about 150(i think)... im upto about ~427 now.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Probably a good thing. I'm assuming you've been around on a few Mario games or so? It may be a bit on the easy side for veteran Mario players, but as I'm sure this was also aimed for kids, it'll keep this from being too frustrating for them. It's probably more important to capture the younger audiences than better maintain the later generations.

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
Probably a good thing. I'm assuming you've been around on a few Mario games or so? It may be a bit on the easy side for veteran Mario players, but as I'm sure this was also aimed for kids, it'll keep this from being too frustrating for them. It's probably more important to capture the younger audiences than better maintain the later generations.

Of all the 3D Mario games, I've only played and completed Galaxy1(Wii) and 3D Land(3DS); so not a whole lot of experience with Mario games.

However, the difficulty of Odyssey does ramp up after the campaign.

Reactions: ackmondual
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.