Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
Probably a good thing. I'm assuming you've been around on a few Mario games or so? It may be a bit on the easy side for veteran Mario players, but as I'm sure this was also aimed for kids, it'll keep this from being too frustrating for them. It's probably more important to capture the younger audiences than better maintain the later generations.
The great thing about many Nintendo titles is that the difficulty level can suit casual player and the more hardcore completionist (like myself). One can run through the entire game without too much difficulty, BUT if you want to complete the game in its entirety (mostly collecting all items and finding the secret levels) it can get very challenging. My style of play is to take my sweet time and explore every nook and cranny of every level. I just opened up Dark Side of the Moon (but haven't yet entered, still exploring lol) in Odyssey with over 400 moons. I think from there the difficulty will ramp up quickly.

Another example is 3D World on the Wii U. I kept thinking to myself the whole time this game is way too easy and seemed very short. Boy was I wrong about the length - in the end there are nearly 100 levels after getting all the hidden levels. This is one of the longest Mario games so you're getting a lot for this purchase. The final hidden world (world-crown) is very difficult. This was excellent as I was playing with my kids in the earlier levels. The later levels they couldn't handle and they jsut got in my way lol. Nintendo really should port this over to the Switch so all those who skipped the Wii U can experience it.

Of all the 3D Mario games, I've only played and completed Galaxy1(Wii) and 3D Land(3DS); so not a whole lot of experience with Mario games.

However, the difficulty of Odyssey does ramp up after the campaign.
Regrettably the Galaxy series I never got into, mostly because of the forced motion controls (hated having to point the wiimote to collect those star bits). 3D Land on the 3DS I had to do it twice, because I inadvertently used one of those assist blocks and I couldn't get the 3 stars on that save game file. So I had to start a new game just to make sure I end up with a 3-star save game lol.

Reactions: ackmondual

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
The great thing about many Nintendo titles is that the difficulty level can suit casual player and the more hardcore completionist (like myself). One can run through the entire game without too much difficulty, BUT if you want to complete the game in its entirety (mostly collecting all items and finding the secret levels) it can get very challenging. My style of play is to take my sweet time and explore every nook and cranny of every level. I just opened up Dark Side of the Moon (but haven't yet entered, still exploring lol) in Odyssey with over 400 moons. I think from there the difficulty will ramp up quickly.

Another example is 3D World on the Wii U. I kept thinking to myself the whole time this game is way too easy and seemed very short. Boy was I wrong about the length - in the end there are nearly 100 levels after getting all the hidden levels. This is one of the longest Mario games so you're getting a lot for this purchase. The final hidden world (world-crown) is very difficult. This was excellent as I was playing with my kids in the earlier levels. The later levels they couldn't handle and they jsut got in my way lol. Nintendo really should port this over to the Switch so all those who skipped the Wii U can experience it.

Regrettably the Galaxy series I never got into, mostly because of the forced motion controls (hated having to point the wiimote to collect those star bits). 3D Land on the 3DS I had to do it twice, because I inadvertently used one of those assist blocks and I couldn't get the 3 stars on that save game file. So I had to start a new game just to make sure I end up with a 3-star save game lol.
New SMB Wii (for Wii) had world 9 levels that got on the crazy side. That one level...
with the ice blocks, and more ice blocks with them ground small pirahnas, and fire spitting pirahnas from the pipes... that's the stuff of nightmares. Passing it ain't too bad, but getting all 3 star coins practically requires co-op... one player literally dying for them while the other stands around so that the level won't reset back to its save point

The motion controls are something you get used to. I deem it to be a shame if you were to skip the Mario games that made use of them (New SMB Wii, New SMB Wii U, Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Mario Odyssey), although I can still understand where you're coming from.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
New SMB Wii (for Wii) had world 9 levels that got on the crazy side. That one level...
with the ice blocks, and more ice blocks with them ground small pirahnas, and fire spitting pirahnas from the pipes... that's the stuff of nightmares. Passing it ain't too bad, but getting all 3 star coins practically requires co-op... one player literally dying for them while the other stands around so that the level won't reset back to its save point

The motion controls are something you get used to. I deem it to be a shame if you were to skip the Mario games that made use of them (New SMB Wii, New SMB Wii U, Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Mario Odyssey), although I can still understand where you're coming from.
Oh yes world 9 of SMB Wii was quite satisfying. Yes I got used to the motion controls, having finished donkey Kong country returns on the Wii (and the 3DS!). It was Mario Galaxy that I really disliked having to point the Wiimote at the screen. Apart from the 8 bit Mario titles and both Galaxy, I have completed all other Mario titles, collecting all coins or stars.

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
Funny enough I loved collecting the starbits especially as you whizzed into each level and scrabbled to get them all before touch down.

Reactions: ackmondual

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Played some more last night, right now in the Luncheon Kingdom. Some of the challenges are starting to get more difficult, which I like. :)

I'm guessing it's normal that at this point I still have no clue what to do with those giant cubes that are stranded in each level?

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
I know I’m in the minority here but I’m a bit disappointed with Odyssey. The whole thing was kind of a giant fetch quest. The bits of real platforming that I thought gave a fun challenge are from those rooms that you access by leaving your hat with that scarecrow looking thing. Those are very short and few. For a 3D platformer I enjoyed 3D World on the Wii U much more.

I left out darker side for another day to savor it. I have doubt that I’ll bother to collect all the moons (unless it unlocks more levels, does it?), many of which are super tedious like the jump rope and volleyball.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Two quick questions:

1. What’s up with buying seemingly unlimited moons from the shop in the kingdom? Is this a way to cheat your way to the end?

2. Once the moon rocks break apart, are all the final moons available to get or do you have to power up the odyssey and so
Something else first because some of these moons seem absolutely impossible to earn right now. (Please try to be as spoiler free as possible)

Thank u

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
I know I’m in the minority here but I’m a bit disappointed with Odyssey. The whole thing was kind of a giant fetch quest. The bits of real platforming that I thought gave a fun challenge are from those rooms that you access by leaving your hat with that scarecrow looking thing. Those are very short and few. For a 3D platformer I enjoyed 3D World on the Wii U much more.

I left out darker side for another day to savor it. I have doubt that I’ll bother to collect all the moons (unless it unlocks more levels, does it?), many of which are super tedious like the jump rope and volleyball.

Not sure what you mean by fetch quests. Unless you think Mario 64 was a bunch of star fetch quests. These were basically mini levels in larger levels, in larger worlds.

Two quick questions:

1. What’s up with buying seemingly unlimited moons from the shop in the kingdom? Is this a way to cheat your way to the end?

2. Once the moon rocks break apart, are all the final moons available to get or do you have to power up the odyssey and so
Something else first because some of these moons seem absolutely impossible to earn right now. (Please try to be as spoiler free as possible)

Thank u

It's not unlimited. If you want 999 moons you'll have to buy them all eventually but you have to get all other moons too.

Reactions: Mac'nCheese

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
Not sure what you mean by fetch quests. Unless you think Mario 64 was a bunch of star fetch quests. These were basically mini levels in larger levels, in larger worlds.
Just some random thoughts.

Having to do tasks such as taking a hint picture and go search, following the dog to dig up random moons (or coins), walk in a perfect circle, etc etc, all amount to fetch quests, no? The most tedious one I found was to paste stickers to reassemble Mario's face. First round I did without much trouble. Second round I'm having trouble, even after I traced Mario's face over a piece of see through paper taped to my screen lol.

The game feels very short, and not much actual platforming. There are only 12 "worlds", with hidden areas with some fun and challenging platforming which are very few and short. The main worlds themselves don't have much action, other than the fetch quests. In comparison, 3D World on the Wii U has 100 distinct and non stop platforming action fun.

Having to search for 999 moons scattered in only 12 worlds, again making this feel like a fetch quest. In Mario 64 therer were only 120 stars in total, cleverly placed and are skill based to obtain. Many of the moons in Odyssey feel like a chore to obtain.

In other Mario titles, using power up items is strictly optional - one can complete the entire game without using any power up if one is skillful enough. In Odyssey, having to take control of an enemy to reach otherwise unreachable areas feels like a gimmick and lazy level design.

I still very much enjoyed the game, but it's the first one that I don't feel like reaching 100%..

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
What happens to you if you jump into a picture into a different world to a place that was unreachable before and then you don't touch the flag and you move out of that place (maybe warp somewhere else or jump down from it)? Are you now stuck in that world since you can't warp back to the area with the picture and don't have your ship with you?

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
In comparison, 3D World on the Wii U has 100 distinct and non stop platforming action fun.

But Odyssey isn't a platformer. 3D world is an interation of that type of Mario, same as Mario 1,2,3,3D Land etc. This is an iteration of 64, Sunshine, Galaxy. Not platformers, but worlds to explore.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
But Odyssey isn't a platformer. 3D world is an interation of that type of Mario, same as Mario 1,2,3,3D Land etc. This is an iteration of 64, Sunshine, Galaxy. Not platformers, but worlds to explore.
You're right that Odyssey is more in line with Sunshine, but I thoroughly enjoyed Mario 64 and did not enjoy Sunshine one bit. I played Galaxy for a while, but regrettably never completed either as I got tired of waving the wiimote at the screen.

I still remember around the time Mario 64 came out, my then girlfriend challenged me to get her a tickle me elmo for Christmas. While shopping with my colleague during lunch at FAO Schartz by Central Park (he bought a Nintendo 64 and Mario 64 for his wife), a guy right by the store was selling a tickle me elmo. I bought it, for $160 IIRC. Scalping used to be in person before Ebay was a thing lol. I 100%'ed Mario 64 soon after that. Still remember his wife was so impressed by my ability to perform wall jump in 64 so effortlessly lol.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
I think what he meant was that it is not the hardcore type platformer, but more an adventure/exploration style with some platforming thrown in, to which I'll agree. To me Odyssey has too much fluff. It'll be a pretty short game if it weren't for all that fluff in the form of 999 moons, some of which are so tedious to obtain, like the jump rope and volleyball.

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
Emphasis for me there on "some" - I am around 150 in and found possibly 5 "fluff" ones - Sometimes here people seem to want the moon on a stick :)

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
I'm up to 550 or so moons. I might have to start looking up hints. I can't imagine how to get half of the ones marked on my map.

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2017
I cleaned up about 625 on my own, and now I'm having fun collecting the remainder (and purple coins) using a guide.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
I finished the "story", what a bizarre ending... :eek:

Now I have Mushroom Kingdom and the Dark Side to explore, plus all the other moons. I'll probably take a little break from it though and work on my PS4 backlog or start Zelda BOTW.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
So after having finished darker side of the moon and while back, I played with it again this weekend trying to see if I can get into it, see if I might collect the 400 or so moons I have left. I was kind of hating on myself not getting 100% on a Mario game.

There was this one moon that was literally right there, but just slightly out of reach. I just could not figure out what I was missing to reach it. As much as I hated to do it, I looked up YouTube video and I ended up even more confused - they literally just jumped and grabbed it. To vent my frustration I shook the thing and then realized that I *must* shake the controller to do a even higher jump o_O:mad:

So I completed the game without having used all the possible moves available to me. Good old Nintendo just cannot give up motion controls. Motion control is the reason I never finished Mario galaxy.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
So after having finished darker side of the moon and while back, I played with it again this weekend trying to see if I can get into it, see if I might collect the 400 or so moons I have left. I was kind of hating on myself not getting 100% on a Mario game.

There was this one moon that was literally right there, but just slightly out of reach. I just could not figure out what I was missing to reach it. As much as I hated to do it, I looked up YouTube video and I ended up even more confused - they literally just jumped and grabbed it. To vent my frustration I shook the thing and then realized that I *must* shake the controller to do a even higher jump o_O:mad:

So I completed the game without having used all the possible moves available to me. Good old Nintendo just cannot give up motion controls. Motion control is the reason I never finished Mario galaxy.
Curious, you didn't suspect that Nintendo would keep the shake motion from that 3D platformer to this one? To be fair, I knew you can spin in the air, ...

.... but I never made the connection that it's like a "double jump". I too discovered this by accident one day. REALLY made the Luigi level, collecting 100 purple coins faaar easier knowing this manuever can EASILY collect 3 to 5 coins, just, like, that

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
Curious, you didn't suspect that Nintendo would keep the shake motion from that 3D platformer to this one? To be fair, I knew you can spin in the air, ...

.... but I never made the connection that it's like a "double jump". I too discovered this by accident one day. REALLY made the Luigi level, collecting 100 purple coins faaar easier knowing this manuever can EASILY collect 3 to 5 coins, just, like, that
Oh I knew there are some motion controlled movements, like the auto aiming of cappy, which I totally did without using any. I thought all of the motion controlled elements are optional, until I came across that one moon that *required* the shaking to do a even higher jump.

I played Odyssey 99% of the time handheld. How are you suppose to make precise movements when you're shaking the whole thing, never mind that it's just awkward.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Oh I knew there are some motion controlled movements, like the auto aiming of cappy, which I totally did without using any. I thought all of the motion controlled elements are optional, until I came across that one moon that *required* the shaking to do a even higher jump.

I played Odyssey 99% of the time handheld. How are you suppose to make precise movements when you're shaking the whole thing, never mind that it's just awkward.
Heh... gotta detach the Joy Cons for that one part :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.