Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
Hmm. Reviews are kinda mixed on this, some good and some mediocre. Doesn't seem to be quite as brilliant as the original trilogy.

Anyone picking it up this week?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Hmm. Reviews are kinda mixed on this, some good and some mediocre. Doesn't seem to be quite as brilliant as the original trilogy.

Anyone picking it up this week?

I personally don't buy in to website reviews, to me, it's all about user reviews. So far what I have read though, it's been positive. Although, my review of the game is the only one that matters when I purchase the game.

Last edited:

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
I have my pre-order ready to pick it up tomorrow.

And I don't put stock in reviews much at all. Either I like a game, or I don't.

Even with all the high praise for Witcher 3, I just couldn't get into it at all. And its' not like I don't like the Genre, I love Skyrim.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
It looks downright awful in the animations and interactions but it had some very nice pieces that look very fun and will eventually pick it up at a big discount down the road.

The problem I have found is my backlog is tremendous but I really love interacting with everyone like the Zelda thread when a new game comes out as it keeps me motivated to keep going.

I never played the likes of The Witcher 3, Bloodborne, or Horizon Dawn and I feel like if I do it now, it will be lonely and no one to talk to about. lol

JayMysterio

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
The reviews I've read & watched seemed to say it's actually a sort of boring game.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/20/14961928/mass-effect-andromeda-review-xbox-ps4-pc
http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/20/14886618/mass-effect-andromeda-review-PS4-Xbox-One-PC
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/03/20/mass-effect-andromeda-review?read

The common thing seems to revolve in the implementations of the systems ( menus/ui ) and the repetition of mission types being an issue. Another issue being on the technical side for consoles, and the wonky animations that aren't getting patched. Imagine that, a game finally does NOT have a Day 1 patch, and everyone wants one! :eek: What they do seem to like are the characters you do interact with.

The reviews won't affect me, because in all honestly I played ME3 mainly for the multi player. I was legitimately addicted to it. This one seems more mobile and allows for a little more creativity. It also seems mobile in the sense of the mobile game model, and packs will be little more onerous than last. I won't care though, I'm ready to go!

C'mon Amazon bring my game!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It looks downright awful in the animations and interactions but it had some very nice pieces that look very fun and will eventually pick it up at a big discount down the road.

The problem I have found is my backlog is tremendous but I really love interacting with everyone like the Zelda thread when a new game comes out as it keeps me motivated to keep going.

I never played the likes of The Witcher 3, Bloodborne, or Horizon Dawn and I feel like if I do it now, it will be lonely and no one to talk to about. lol

I hear you. I am back logged with games, but slowly finishing some. The next few titles I plan on playing are longer campaigns, so that initially slows me down, but I don't Mind.

jlyanks85

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
Seems like people are just trying to compare it to the original trilogy, which is why the reviews are mixed. Instead of just seeing it as it as a new game in a different world.

I'm sure the game isn't as good as the original trilogy, but doubt it's as bad as what some people are saying.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Seems like people are just trying to compare it to the original trilogy, which is why the reviews are mixed. Instead of just seeing it as it as a new game in a different world.

I'm sure the game isn't as good as the original trilogy, but doubt it's as bad as what some people are saying.

This game has loads of potential. It has a ridiculous amount of content to explore and the customization is excellent. I'm not to far into the storyline yet, but the main protagonist has potential in comparison to Shepherd. And any complaints with frame rate or technical glitches will be patched, just like other games that first release.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Is there some sort of Exploration Mode? I hate stories and having to do what they tell you with long, boring conversation.

Small snippits like Halo or Doom is okay.

Do what you want like No Man's Sky and Zelda BOTW is ideal... :)

Thanks ahead for the review...

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”

jlyanks85

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
Just like with movies just can't let reviewers and the general public decide something for you. That's why I refuse to make judgement until I play the game myself.

I've loved plenty of games the critics were iffy on and bored to death from games that were critically acclaimed.

JohnGrey

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2012
Cincinnati Metro

You feel free to tag me anytime you want to discuss HZD (my GotY, hands down) or Bloodborne (or any of the Souls series for that matter). I've never cared a whit for the Witcher, but I'm absurdly anticipatory for CD Projekt Red's Cyberpunk 2077; as a gamer steeped in the likes of Snatcher, Deus Ex (the original, not the rabbit's heartbeats starring Adam Jensen), Blade Runner and Omikron: The Nomad Soul, I'm positively salivating.
[doublepost=1490173867][/doublepost]I'm now about 15 hours in (my HZD very hard replay monopolised my gaming tonight) and it's been, well, a very specific sort of fun. If any of you are huge schlock/bad movie fans (if you treasure the likes of Troll 2 or Samurai Cop), you're going to love this game. The writing is laughably bad and you've seen the animations. It's impossible to take seriously, and there's more than a little tedious repetition in expository throwaways to help fill the long silences, but there's some exploitative charm here. If it were made by an indie instead of a huge studio, I could easily seeing it becoming an unintentional cult classic. Once the shininess wears off, it's going to suffer quite a bit and just be the butt of industry hubris jokes. I'm hesitant to call this BioWare's silver bullet, but there's a chance there.

6/10.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cnasty

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So is this a single player game, like Skyrim, or Fallout 4, or a MMO where you interact with others online?

JayMysterio

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
So is this a single player game, like Skyrim, or Fallout 4, or a MMO where you interact with others online?
It's a single player RPG. It does have a separate multiplayer component added in the last game, that was modeled after Halo's Fire Fight. For me the multiplayer was addictive fun because it was short burst non competitive combat.

I did a limited play through, up to where you can finally manually save. It's a bit of a slog. There is auto saving, but I wanted to get to where I could finally do a manual save. To me the game seems to suffer from the expectations of Bioware itself. If someone else made the game, I think there'd be less focus on it's quirks. As it is the animations do look bizarrely off compared to any other game you've played with cutscenes in the last year or two. The menus & UI are a bit of a mess. It kept driving me nuts to have to drill down two steps to look at something as important as a map, when in Horizon Zero Dawn, hitting a button defaults to the map and you move to other menus.

Like I said though, I did a very limited play through, just to get to where the game finally starts, so I can't make any real judgements. Will dive into heavily this weekend.

Jumping puzzles will be a pain in this game I can see.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It's a single player RPG.
Thats good to know, I couldn't discern that while reading the Ars review - I'll honest, I was skimming through that review, so I could have missed it.

I did a limited play through, up to where you can finally manually save.
I saw that there is no quick save option, and Ars was very critical of that option, they also complained about needing to do too many clicks to do a task

JayMysterio

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
Thats good to know, I couldn't discern that while reading the Ars review - I'll honest, I was skimming through that review, so I could have missed it.

I saw that there is no quick save option, and Ars was very critical of that option, they also complained about needing to do too many clicks to do a task
Yeah, the game is like quite a few nowadays. It stresses the auto save, but if you want to manually save you can't be in a priority mission. Unfortunately you have no idea how a priority mission will go on. Your first mission is a priority mission with a quite a few of optional missions inside, so it was a good while before I could manually save.

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
I didn't get too much time to play last night.

Tried out the multiplayer, a fun little shooter on the side.

And then created a custom character. And I had my first issue with this game.

It's like they tried to go too PC on the hues for skins. The most Caucasian I could make was a tan latino. This may sound a tad racist, but it's not. On all of the mass effects, I have made the characters faces look like me. I'm a white dude. I don't tan, I red. In this game I couldn't do it, however there were close to 15 shades of brown to black. I also feel like you didn't have enough control of facial creation, which was always a big part of the Mass Effect games.

I'll get more time to play tonight and through the weekend.

JayMysterio

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I did forget that one issue. Seems this Mass Effect wants to be always online. It doesn't directly you impact you, but it will nag you. During character creation because the game took awhile to connect, it kept warning that my CAC would not be saved or available unless I was online. Kind of weird.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Ahhh! I want Mass Effect but I feel I'd enjoy Horizon more!

I'm going to buy one of these tonight but I can't decide which one.

JayMysterio

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
Ahhh! I want Mass Effect but I feel I'd enjoy Horizon more!

I'm going to buy one of these tonight but I can't decide which one.
I personally back on Horizon to finish it. It is a very fun game with a few quirks. I can see Mass Effect if you can plow through the opening and it's quirks being the game with more to offer over the long run. But Horizon does have a lot to offer. I've spent too much time on side missions when I could have finished the main story last week.

I could see you easily getting Horizon burning thru it in 2 or 3 weeks and trading it in towards Mass Effect. If you try to grind out Horizon maybe 4 weeks, and being that Mass Effect is an EA game it might be on sale.

If you're a hard core Mass Effect fan, than go there first, you can handle whatever quirks are in the game.

Reactions: JohnGrey

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I personally back on Horizon to finish it. It is a very fun game with a few quirks. I can see Mass Effect if you can plow through the opening and it's quirks being the game with more to offer over the long run. But Horizon does have a lot to offer. I've spent too much time on side missions when I could have finished the main story last week.

I could see you easily getting Horizon burning thru it in 2 or 3 weeks and trading it in towards Mass Effect. If you try to grind out Horizon maybe 4 weeks, and being that Mass Effect is an EA game it might be on sale.

If you're a hard core Mass Effect fan, than go there first, you can handle whatever quirks are in the game.

Hmm I think you're right. Horizon seems to be getting good reviews too.

I vaguely remember really liking Mass Effect 1 ten years ago or so but it doesn't look like how I remembered that game being. Plus back then an explorable world with interactable NPC and different paths like Mass Effect wasn't as common which added a lot of appeal for me. Now it's more common place.

I'm waiting for Yakuza 0 to go on sale because I can't justify its 60 dollar price for such an old game. But looks like a lot of fun.

And then we have Nier which I'm also very interested in.

Recently there seems to be a lot of really good very long games come out.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
^Don't forget Nioh...great game by the way.

So far I'm enjoying it, the human facial animation is bust a gut laugh worthy but I've looked past it and it's basically a lighter tone(so far) Mass Effect game. The stakes doesn't seem as high as the previous games and it feels like it's more exploring this time but I'm not very far but thats my initial thought of the story.

The Combat is solid and the movement with the jetpack is really nice.

Bless

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.