Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
^Don't forget Nioh...great game by the way.

So far I'm enjoying it, the human facial animation is bust a gut laugh worthy but I've looked past it and it's basically a lighter tone(so far) Mass Effect game. The stakes doesn't seem as high as the previous games and it feels like it's more exploring this time but I'm not very far but thats my initial thought of the story.

The Combat is solid and the movement with the jetpack is really nice.

Bless

Mass Effect definitely has its pitfalls early on. I don't think it will live up to the trilogy, but rightfully deserves a score around a 6/7. It has its core gameplay elements, which I can appreciate.

I agree about Nioh. Being Mass Effect falling short in some categories, Nioh still is another great title to divulge into.

jlyanks85

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
Ahhh! I want Mass Effect but I feel I'd enjoy Horizon more!

I'm going to buy one of these tonight but I can't decide which one.

I finished horizon last night. It took me around 60 hours to complete everything the game had to offer. So the game will last you a long while, if you can only play the game a few hours a night.

Each game in the mass effect trilogy was around 50-60 hours if you did all the missions. Around 20 hours if you just finish campaign and nothing else. Andromeda is probably the same I'm guessing since I haven't gotten around to starting the game yet.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I had this on pre-order but cancelled after reading the early reviews. I don't rely on reviews and often don't even bother to check them, but they were pretty poor for this one. I loved the other ME games and I guess I was hoping that this would really take it to the next level. But apparently not.

Likely I'll pick it up used towards the end of the year or next year.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I had this on pre-order but cancelled after reading the early reviews. I don't rely on reviews and often don't even bother to check them, but they were pretty poor for this one. I loved the other ME games and I guess I was hoping that this would really take it to the next level. But apparently not.

Likely I'll pick it up used towards the end of the year or next year.

The game has substance, but it struggles in certain area's. Graphically, it's very impressive in some area's and others, it looks dated. I wouldn't pay full price for this game as I did, but if you can find it cheaper around $40.00, then I would say take advantage of it. Ultimately, this game deserves a score of 6/10. It does fall short, but has plenty of exploration.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
With baby number 2 inbound in six weeks, I won't have time to play Mass Effect for quite a while. By the time I actually get around to it, it will be dirt cheap and thoroughly patched up! :)

Reactions: blesscheese

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
With baby number 2 inbound in six weeks, I won't have time to play Mass Effect for quite a while. By the time I actually get around to it, it will be dirt cheap and thoroughly patched up! :)

Other than missing out on the hype surrounding the release of the game (which can be fun, if the game delivers, but is a let down if the game sucks), I've become convinced (over the period of about a decade) that this is the way to go. I don't mind paying full price for a game, it is the annoying bugs that you have to put up with and play through until they get patched that frustrates me. (Total side note: I've been impressed by how Zelda: Breath of the Wild has been bug free, and has lived up to the hype.)

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
That game and their latest system was Do-Or-Die for Nintendo (in regards to their own system). If either the game or the system failed then it would've been a downward spiral for them here on out...

Not sure exactly what you are getting at. Below is a quote from the Game Informer review of Andromeda:
Lurking beneath the ups and downs of the Andromeda’s gameplay and story is a baffling network of technical issues, clunky menus, and unexplained systems. Finding and tracking your quests is needlessly complicated, crafting is a convoluted and multi-step affair that is rarely worth the hassle, and the limited inventory system has no reason to exist at all since you can’t access your unequipped weapons and armor in the field. Stuttering framerates and audio bugs are frequent enough to be distracting. I also encountered a handful of bizarre animations, visual glitches, and broken quests that forced a reload at worst, so they didn’t bother me as much as the other more persistent problems. However, all of this contributes to an overall lack of polish that gives the impression various components are not fitting together properly.

I've never had any such problems from a Nintendo 1P game (they have made some questionable decisions about controls, like StarFox on the Wii U, but that wasn't a quality issue). With more recent computer games, say, the past 10 years, it increasingly seems like stuff gets rushed out to meet some quarterly deadline, and bugs aren't thoroughly stamped out before the game is finished (or in the case of Bethesda, they release the mod tools and the community is expected to take care of a lot of issues. I can't imagine playing Skyrim without 5 key mods).

KGBguy

Suspended
Feb 19, 2015
USSR 2.0
I also ran into numerous spots where I was stuck, and goods't get out. Had to restart the game. very annoying.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
That game and their latest system was Do-Or-Die for Nintendo (in regards to their own system). If either the game or the system failed then it would've been a downward spiral for them here on out...
Not sure exactly what you are getting at. Below is a quote from the Game Informer review of Andromeda:.

Nintendo had to be successful with both the Switch and its latest IP game, or it would've spelled doom for them as far as their own consoles and their own games on them.

If they weren't successful with the Switch, they would probably have to start publishing for Sony and MS...

Don't really care about Andromeda at this point until it's fixed and in the bargain bin for around $10...

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Nintendo had to be successful with both the Switch and its latest IP game, or it would've spelled doom for them as far as their own consoles and their own games on them.

If they weren't successful with the Switch, they would probably have to start publishing for Sony and MS...

Don't really care about Andromeda at this point until it's fixed and in the bargain bin for around $10...

Meh, this reminds me of the old days when every magazine/industry news rag would have a monthly article about how "Apple is doomed." Nintendo still makes quite a bit of money off the 3DS, and unlike Sony and MS they don't lose money on their consoles. With the emergence of their iOS and Android games, Nintendo has a new revenue stream coming in.

BTW, we still don't know if the Switch is going to be a success, the Wii U started off just as good/even better. But I do think gamers are better off with a good amount of competition, as that gives us more choices, and (hopefully) better games.

And yeah, maybe if Andromeda comes to a bargain bin, I'll pick it up...until then...I have plenty of other games in my pile I need to get to.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So what's the concensus of Mass Effects?

There seems to be a lot of chatter about what's wrong with the game in the interwebs, so much so an update is forthcoming. I'm looking for something new to play, and I'm not sure if I want this or the latest resident evil game

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

And Bioware is relying heavily on this patch to repair a lot of the issues that should've never happened to begin with. This was not one of the better launches for Bioware and the initial reviews slowed down the sales of this game Before it was even released. Originally, before this game debuted in March, I thought it would be a contender for game of the year, but I don't for see that happening, even though I do think it is a "Good" game.

Reactions: blesscheese

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
And Bioware is relying heavily on this patch to repair a lot of the issues that should've never happened to begin with. This was not one of the better launches for Bioware and the initial reviews slowed down the sales of this game Before it was even released. Originally, before this game debuted in March, I thought it would be a contender for game of the year, but I don't for see that happening, even though I do think it is a "Good" game.

As they say...You don't get a second chance at making a first impression.

I admire what a lot of these games are trying to do. But when you release the game, it has to work. Especially with these open world RPG's, people have a lot of choices now, and there isn't a lot to really distinguish some games. If your game doesn't rock right off the bat, there's usually another game getting released soon that everybody is ready to try out.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Well, I bit the bullet after searching the interwebs for reviews and purchased ME.

I was unaware that its completely (or nearly completely) 3rd person and not 1st person which is a bummer. I prefer first person, but that's ok.

So far I'm enjoying the storying line, though I just completed the first major mission. I agree with the complaints about facial expressions, they do seem off, even with the latest patch.

I'm still trying to get used to the interface/controls and I messed up a few times but nothing that altered the game in a negative way.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
Well, I bit the bullet after searching the interwebs for reviews and purchased ME.

I was unaware that its completely (or nearly completely) 3rd person and not 1st person which is a bummer. I prefer first person, but that's ok.

So far I'm enjoying the storying line, though I just completed the first major mission. I agree with the complaints about facial expressions, they do seem off, even with the latest patch.

I'm still trying to get used to the interface/controls and I messed up a few times but nothing that altered the game in a negative way.

Did you play with the new patch?

Is the new patch out?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have to say the game is definitely captivating, though I really do miss the ability to do a quick save, which I think is very important given the number of "no win" decisions you have to make. I made one, and I'm not happy how that worked itself out, and I prefer to go back to that decision point and alter my first choice. The final outcome won't be affected but I think its something that would make it a better feel of the game.

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
I got to play some more this weekend (finally). Just like the other ME's I'm getting sucked into the storyline.

For some reason I am still not seeing the patch on my Xbox1 so I still have the odd staring off in space facial expressions.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
I ran into some serious glitches on one of the worlds and I just gave up. I'll try the game again soon as I haven't played it since the new patch was released but wow that left me kind of sour.

Bless

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.