Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
It seems like the the high end phone will go to two sizes - basically a current iPhone 11 size and a size that is slightly larger than the current Max. I kind of like the size of my Max now, but I can see the virtue of going smaller or larger this year (if people upgrade at all). My fiancé’s iPhone 11 is quite a managable size (I find the regular size X/Xs/11 Pro models a bit small). What are you planning to do?

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
I’m a new 6.5 11 Pro Max user and couldn’t imagine going back down to a 6.1 phone let alone 5.8 like my previous X.

I won’t be upgrading until 2021 anyway but will be watching for reviews, hoping that it’s not any wider. I wouldn’t mind if it was a little longer but just not any wider.

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
I'm still on the 5.5" 8 Plus but it's the same physical size as the 6.5" Xs Max / Pro Max and i cannot wait to see a 6.7" model

Reactions: m0sher

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
6.5 is probably the limit for me. As it is right now to one hand it I have my pinky at the bottom and then the other three at the back for support. With my other phones I don’t need my index behind. I might be ok with going down to 6.1, I would need to spend some time with it. My phone fell out of my pajama pants 3 times today, it’s a bit large. But to be fair my 7 would occasionally fall out too.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
6.7 is Pushing the size tolerance limits for me. As much as I like having a larger display, I am in no way of need of something that large in my pocket. I’ve reached a point where I can resort to my iPad(s) if I need a larger display, as my phone needs had become minimalistic. I’d rather invest my money in other Apple products like AirPods/Apple Watch, etc.

AE_stc

Suspended
Feb 25, 2020
I’ve had my XS Max a year and it still feels new. I plan on holding onto it indefinitely though, until it’s not supported or if it happens to break somehow.

That said I cant go back now. I pick up my wife’s XR and it feels small. Whenever I upgrade again I’ll def be getting the biggest one

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
It seems like the the high end phone will go to two sizes - basically a current iPhone 11 size and a size that is slightly larger than the current Max. I kind of like the size of my Max now, but I can see the virtue of going smaller or larger this year (if people upgrade at all). My fiancé’s iPhone 11 is quite a managable size (I find the regular size X/Xs/11 Pro models a bit small). What are you planning to do?
I’d have to look at the battery life. If the Max battery life is really great then I might get the 6.7. I just hope the size doesn’t increase anymore. 6.1 is actually perfect During my time with the xr If was just right. I just like oled.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Pro Max here and I'm undecided at this point, just gonna wait and see what the new phones bring to the table before I decide to upgrade or not.

Reactions: 44267547

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
I've had the Plus/Max size every year it's been offered since the 6 Plus. At first I was concerned it would be 'too big', but took advantage of the 2 week return policy to try it out. Took me about 3 days to get used to the later size and I've never looked back. Emails, text conversations, webpages, anything with content I'm interested in reading is so much nicer on the larger form factor. Things like videos, games, etc, are also a much better experience on the larger device.

No chance in the world I'll go smaller.

neil74

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2017
If iOS does not move forward this year then I will not upgrade. I have grown tired of the look and feel and that 4x6 grid, icons and resolution aside my home screen today is not really that different to my first iPhone 10 years ago. At least let us wrap icons from the bottom rather than the top for *** sake.

120hz (or at least 90 hz) too. I watched the UBT video above and totally agree, going back to the 11 pro max after using an S20+ was actually quite jarring.

That aside, if they maintain the current aspect ratios I do not think I could go bigger than a Pro Max. Really wish they would stop using the corner to corner as it is misleading IMO.

Reactions: Breezygirl

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I have had every plus size iPhone since the 6+, including the X. I currently have the XS Max and will definitely be upgrading to this year’s Max wether it’s 6.5 or 6.7. I can not use any phone smaller than the XR/11. I even wish the XS Max was bigger than 6.5.

Last edited:

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Pro Max here and I'm undecided at this point, just gonna wait and see what the new phones bring to the table before I decide to upgrade or not.
Okay in response to my own post, after thinking about it, I'd say, it's not the size of the Max/Pro Max that gets me, it's more the weight. It's so much heavier than a comparable screen-sized phone (I know premium quality and all) but it feels like a brick in my pocket. I shutter to think how heavy an even larger iPhone would be. That's what would keep me from up-sizing to a larger iPhone. I find myself using my good old SE when I'm out on activities more than my PM, I just couldn't use that small of a phone as a daily anymore. So IKD if I would go bigger.

(Me in Sept: Hey y'all check out my new 12 Pro Max Max or whatever it's called) LOL

coney718

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2014
I have an XS Max now and was tired of the size and thought I wanted a smaller device. Picked up an 11 Pro last month and while I appreciated the one handed use and pocket friendliness I missed the size of the Max and returned the Pro. I found the keyboard on the Pro way too cramped and had trouble typing accurately. That being said 6.5 is my limit I wont be getting the 6.7" Max this year I'll either stick with what I have or get the 6.1" pro model.

Reactions: Crazyj414

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Definitely bigger.... I am only upgrading if the 6.7" rumor is true... Otherwise standing pat with my XS Max

Brandy-Boi

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2020
I'm using an 8+ and I've always been drawn to the larger size due to my hands and how big I am, if the rumors are true I'll be choosing between the 6.1 and 6.7 versions. No way I can go to anything smaller than the 8+, anytime I try helping my parents 6S models it feels unnaturally teeny for me lol. To my understanding the plus/max sized phone models last longer so I'm really curious about the official specs for the 6.7, if I do go that big I'd like it to last a long, long time since I don't upgrade that often. If the 6.7 feels too cumbersome I'd imagine the 6.1 would be a good sizable upgrade for me that's not overkill.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.