Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
After some thought and reading others experiences, I probably wouldn’t go back to a smaller phone. I do like the keyboard, and not squinting.. video and games are nice too since my vita died not so many moons ago. Not going to lie this is my favorite iPhone out of the few that I’ve had now that I’ve spent a couple months with it. I will use it for two years for sure, that’s when my contract is up. Whatever I choose to replace this will be a beast I’m sure.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I am on IUP and have the 11 Pro Max. I will chose whichever size is the same monthly cost as this one.

I have ZERO desire to even hold a smaller device. My 52 year old eyes are not interested in a tiny phone.

But your not old though.😁

But I get it, it is easier on your eyes. (And I always like to make the suggestion that others can enlarge text through the accessibility options if that helps with that.) Anyways, I’ve just reached a point now, if I really need a larger display for media content, then my iPad/laptop serves that purpose. But my iPhone needs have become minimalistic over the years, where it really is just a tool for communication for me for about 90% of my functionality.

HYPOKON2000

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2013
Long Island, NY
Okay in response to my own post, after thinking about it, I'd say, it's not the size of the Max/Pro Max that gets me, it's more the weight. It's so much heavier than a comparable screen-sized phone (I know premium quality and all) but it feels like a brick in my pocket. I shutter to think how heavy an even larger iPhone would be. That's what would keep me from up-sizing to a larger iPhone. I find myself using my good old SE when I'm out on activities more than my PM, I just couldn't use that small of a phone as a daily anymore. So IKD if I would go bigger.

(Me in Sept: Hey y'all check out my new 12 Pro Max Max or whatever it's called) LOL
And when it falls it falls hard!!

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I’m a new 6.5 11 Pro Max user and couldn’t imagine going back down to a 6.1 phone let alone 5.8 like my previous X.

I won’t be upgrading until 2021 anyway but will be watching for reviews, hoping that it’s not any wider. I wouldn’t mind if it was a little longer but just not any wider.

According to the leaks it'll be .25mm wider than the 11 Pro Max, which should be nearly impossible to perceive in the hand. And 2.9mm more on the long end.

Looks like the additional .2" of display are coming from the reduction of bezels.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
A pop socket helps with the weight of the Pro Max.

....which only creates a further problem having that installed for those who actually carry their phone in their pocket with a pop socket attached. It’s not really a feasible solution when it adds more bulk (Not necessarily the weight, mainly thickness.) I understand you can attach pop sockets to the external back for cases, but it’s really intrusive, but I generally see this used by more females than anyone else.

TechLord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2020
Not a max user, but I would happily get a phone that's a bit bigger in the future. As long as it fits in my jacket pocket then IDC.

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
At first I said I would move down to the 6.1" Pro, but I'm not so sure now. I like my large screens.

CoriG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
It depends on the battery. I love the battery of the Pro Max, but I am getting tired of the weight and the size. I am getting tired of not being able to text one handed.

Reactions: HYPOKON2000

MagicHAM

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2013
Australia
I'm currently happy with the Max that I have now, I only just got it last year . It's incredible perfect for my height and my hands and I don't think I'll go bigger than the one I have now. It will be supported for a few more years, I guess.

slim6596

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2020
My wife and I just bought new iPhone Max Xs from Best Buy for Verizon. Got the 512gb unlocked version for $849 each. We won’t be switching anytime soon.

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
Won't switch unless it has a 120hz screen. Quite obvious how much worse the 60hz screen is to a 120hz and higher screen.

Does your current phone look bad to you now? It's not as if you're going to be comparing 2 phones side by side all day.

SophiaTech

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2020
I'm using 11 Pro Max, which is 6.5-inch, as many would know, and as far as I am concerned, I don't think I will be able to switch to a smaller size moving forward. As a matter of fact, I'm eagerly waiting for a bigger one to upgrade with in the future. I have also used 11 and 10S, and I still prefer the bigger model over the rest. The only problem that I am facing with the bigger version is the battery pack, which tends to drain a bit faster. If Apple gets it right in the upcoming models, I would definitely go for the bigger models.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Does your current phone look bad to you now? It's not as if you're going to be comparing 2 phones side by side all day.

I wouldn’t say bad, some newer tech will look more advanced sometimes, but that doesn’t make the older one look bad. I’ve outgrown the urge to justify new purchases my attaching negativity to stuff that’s working perfectly fine for me daily.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I've got an XS Max right now. I'm not upgrading this year, but I don't have any plans to go down in size when upgrade time comes.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
No I’m going up to the 6.7 inch iPhone this year.
[automerge]1593585714[/automerge]
It depends on the battery. I love the battery of the Pro Max, but I am getting tired of the weight and the size. I am getting tired of not being able to text one handed.
I can text one handed on my pro max and I’m a female with small hands.

Last edited:

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
No I’m going up to the 6.7 inch iPhone this year.
[automerge]1593585714[/automerge]

I can text one handed on my pro max and I’m a female with small hands.

I text one handed on my XS Max all the time. I’m hoping this year’s 12 Pro Max is 6.7 inches. I even stopped buying cases for my phone to prepare for the new one.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I text one handed on my XS Max all the time. I’m hoping this year’s 12 Pro Max is 6.7 inches. I even stopped buying cases for my phone to prepare for the new one.

Interesting. How many cases do you usually buy? Sounds like multiple per device?

Yandawg

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2019
I am definitely contemplating the 6.1. I need to get more hands on time with an iPhone 11 6.1 inch so I can see if it is feasible. I think the 6.5 is the biggest phone I would want. Even now that I have had my pro max since day 1, I believe a slightly smaller phone would be a better fit for portability and whipping out to take photos and whatnot

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.