Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
After reading all about BT headphones and reading about them here, I went to my local Apple store yesterday to try out the Power Beats 2 and the Jaybirds. It was a very disappointing experience.

The Apple Store employee seemed genuinely disinterested in helping me. In our conversation, it took me a couple of times of asking if there were any demo units I could listen to before he reluctantly went to the back to grab the demo kit. When he brought it out, there were no ear tips for either the Power Beats or the Jaybirds. I asked him if they had another kit and he reluctantly went back and found another one. This one had ear tips, but the Jaybirds wouldn't even turn on and something was wrong with the Power Beats...they sounded like a tin can with no bass and they kept cutting out every 10 seconds or so. I explained that I wanted to buy some BT headphones, but I wanted to hear the quality of the sound before purchasing. He flat out suggested buying both, using them for 14 days, and then returning the set that i did not want to keep. While that is certainly one way to do it, it seems incredibly wasteful for a company to suggest dong so.

I gave up and came home empty-handed.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
He flat out suggested buying both, using them for 14 days, and then returning the set that i did not want to keep. While that is certainly one way to do it, it seems incredibly wasteful for a company to suggest dong so.

Retailers (and in this case, Apple store is a retailer), don't care about how wasteful this is, they just return the opened merchandise to the manufacturer, who deals with it. Since Apple has bought Beats, they are theoretically the manufacturer, but at the retail level, Beats headphones are still just another accessory.

If you want to really try out a headphone/earphone before buying, you need to find a manufacturer show room, or go to a high-end audio reseller.

mikezmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2014
NH
I prefer the Bose IE2 in terms of comfort and sound quality but not by a big enough margin over the Powerbeats2. I wouldn't wait for Bose to come out with a bluetooth version it could be months away if at all.

Bose isn't doing well, my friend works for them. They are having layoffs.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
To save me hunting through 17 pages - basically I don't want beats and I'm not a huge fan of the jaybirds (having worked for apple) so I'm looking for something else. I only use my headphones on the train, walking to work and in the gym so nothing AMAZING, what would people recommend
You're not a fan of JayBirds because you saw how bad they were while working for Apple, or you feel biased against Apple competitors out of loyalty to Apple??

vkuber

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2010
I ordered that same combo early this morning. I have fairly discerning ears so I hope they live up to expectations -- which were based on Amazon reviews.

I just received the same combo as well. What size are you guys using on the ear tips for the comply cushions?

Cheers.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
After reading through many, many reviews as well as the Jaybirds disconnecting threads here as well as on Apple Support, I've ordered the Jaybirds. I don't listen to dance or hiphop. Most reviews say the beats2 have little mid-range. The jaybirds are consistently 1st or 2nd in most reviews. I've also got an iPhone 5s, which doesn't appear to have the same disconnecting issue with the Jaybirds.
Strongly think it's a fault/issue with the BLE implementation that Apple's done on the 6/6+. Perhaps they're playing a little "dirty pool" since beats IS their brand (memories of Microsoft "DOS isn't done until Lotus won't run") ;)
I figure I'll mostly have them paired with the watch when it does finally arrive.

Edit: May return the JayBirds...someone with a 5c also has the disconnect issue.

Anyone with the JayBirds not having any issues? Wondering how prevalent this is. I'd rather not have to resort to the Powerbeats2's - that over the ear arm looks like it would interfere with sunglasses.

Last edited:

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I returned the Jaybirds because they didn't sound good and were uncomfortable. I think it's just BT headphones in general.

So I figured since the EarPods are sweat resistant, I could just use those. Bluetooth isn't a necessity for me.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
After reading all about BT headphones and reading about them here, I went to my local Apple store yesterday to try out the Power Beats 2 and the Jaybirds. It was a very disappointing experience.

The Apple Store employee seemed genuinely disinterested in helping me. In our conversation, it took me a couple of times of asking if there were any demo units I could listen to before he reluctantly went to the back to grab the demo kit. When he brought it out, there were no ear tips for either the Power Beats or the Jaybirds. I asked him if they had another kit and he reluctantly went back and found another one. This one had ear tips, but the Jaybirds wouldn't even turn on and something was wrong with the Power Beats...they sounded like a tin can with no bass and they kept cutting out every 10 seconds or so. I explained that I wanted to buy some BT headphones, but I wanted to hear the quality of the sound before purchasing. He flat out suggested buying both, using them for 14 days, and then returning the set that i did not want to keep. While that is certainly one way to do it, it seems incredibly wasteful for a company to suggest dong so.

I gave up and came home empty-handed.
i don't know what you expect buying earbuds. I've always bought ones and tested them out. I don't expect anything from a store selling a different companies earbuds to let you open a package or have a good test unit. Also the jaybirds shine with memory foam tips. sound is much much better and they are much more comfortable. The standard tips on most earbuds aren't good in my opinion for sound and comfort.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
...the jaybirds shine with memory foam tips. sound is much much better and they are much more comfortable. The standard tips on most earbuds aren't good in my opinion for sound and comfort.

I'm guessing you're not running into the disconnect issue then? You're running the latest iOS, an iPhone 6 and a Watch?

Also wondering how well the jaybirds toggle from one device to another, without having to re-pair.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I'm guessing you're not running into the disconnect issue then? You're running the latest iOS, an iPhone 6 and a Watch?

Also wondering how well the jaybirds toggle from one device to another, without having to re-pair.
i didn't have an issue before the watch honestly I've had the 6 plus since launch day. The issue is with the watch paired and it does cut out a few times over an hour workout for me. If i turn off bluetooth on my phone(i keep it in my locker) it seems to not do it. But also then i don't get notifications since it disconnects the phone to the watch. I don't think its an issue with the phone and earbuds cause i never had a problem before the watch. It seemed better on the last software on the watch too.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I returned the Jaybirds because they didn't sound good and were uncomfortable. I think it's just BT headphones in general.

So I figured since the EarPods are sweat resistant, I could just use those. Bluetooth isn't a necessity for me.
You tried memory foam tips?

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
i don't know what you expect buying earbuds. I've always bought ones and tested them out. I don't expect anything from a store selling a different companies earbuds to let you open a package or have a good test unit. Also the jaybirds shine with memory foam tips. sound is much much better and they are much more comfortable. The standard tips on most earbuds aren't good in my opinion for sound and comfort.

I wouldn't normally expect anything either, but the Apple Store has kits specifically for testing out the ear buds before buying. (They don't have to open a box each time.) My problem is my local Apple Store never seems to have their act together, a good portion of the employees do not provide the level of service one normally expects when visiting an Apple Store...so I suspect this store has a really bad management team. At any rate, I went there with the intent of buying Bluetooth earbuds and some other products too, but was turned off by the lack of service and the ability to try something out. So I said screw it and walked away. In the end, my money stayed in my pocket.

Thank you for the tip on memory foam tips. I've decided to pass for now on buying any wireless ear buds, but if I ever do, I'll definitely keep that in mind.

odHbo

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
I spent a pretty penny but love the BeoPlay H8.
IMG_1115.JPG

Mooch55

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2015
Connecticut
When I was at my local Apple Store they were Very helpful and when one of the employees saw that I was looking at the Bluetooth headphones he came out with the test kits for me without even being asked. He even set up a few different types of music for me to compare the units. Just wanted to share my experience.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
When I was at my local Apple Store they were Very helpful and when one of the employees saw that I was looking at the Bluetooth headphones he came out with the test kits for me without even being asked. He even set up a few different types of music for me to compare the units. Just wanted to share my experience.

I wish my Apple Store was like that too!

JB22

macrumors member
May 30, 2015
Chicago
Mpow Cheetah for $30 over amazon.com were great. Fast charging, great sound, light weight, stay in your ear.

I also got a pair of Mpow Swifts but I found them to be very tinny sounding (very), didn't stay in my ears. I sent them back.

Get the Cheetahs. Great phones for a great price.
I also ordered the Swift and they didn't stay in my ears. I ordered the Cheetah but was worried that they might not fit. I have a big head (7.5 hat size). Any thoughts?

Ben_Dover

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2015
I also ordered the Swift and they didn't stay in my ears. I ordered the Cheetah but was worried that they might not fit. I have a big head (7.5 hat size). Any thoughts?

I have a big head. It fits ok

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.