Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBighouse

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2012
Best Buy has the white Jaybirds Bluebuds X on sale this weekend for $112.

With my local Mac User Group 15% discount, I could pick up a pair of white ones for under $100. Should I?

laff

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2009
Yes - They are very good for bluetooth...the only thing is you need to work on the right fit as they need to be comfortable while keeping a good seal to get a full bass to treble response. Comply makes some nice ear pieces that make them more comfortable.

I bought a pair last week and like them. While I own a pair of Shure IEM 535 limited editions and they of course are great, for not having a wire to deal with, these are damn good.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada

With my local Mac User Group 15% discount, I could pick up a pair of white ones for under $100. Should I?
Not if you want to pair them to the watch.

JayBird's pointing the disconnect issues at Apple's implementation on the watch. If you buy them and have the issues I did, their advice is to "wait for Apple to fix the bluetooth stack in the watch".

Think it's pretty likely anyone else is going to run into the same issues.

More info on this thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/jaybird-bluebuds-disconnecting-a-lot-now.1886726/

I just picked up a pair of the PB2's at the Apple store. Way too much to spend on a set of headphones, but if they don't work properly Apple owns the issue.

Edit: The PB2's seem to have too much BASS. I hope we get the capability to adjust the levels on the watch.

Edit2: First outing with these. Outside, on the road, not a problem with too much Bass. They let in more ambient noise than the in-the-ear-canal BlueBuds did. Still nice sound, but better for safety (hearing cars, etc).

Last edited:

RedGT

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2014
London innit
The Jaybirds switch between all my iOS devices and my Apple watch seamlessly, never drop a connection unexpectedly, and run for up to seven hours on a charge. They are the best overall wireless canal phones I have ever used. Being a BT headset, they don't hold a candle sound wise to my wired Sony XBA-Z5's or even my cheaper Shure 535's, but they are great in sports activities.
I was thinking of getting some Jaybird Bluebird X headphones, not for sport just for listening on the train. I've read a few reviews that say that they don't have enough bass, I wont be listening to any heavy hip hop sounds just speech radio/podcasts where I think some decent bass tones are essential.

I suppose my question is should I ignore the bad reviews that imply the sound is tinney or do you think they will be capable of decent sound for my needs?

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I was thinking of getting some Jaybird Bluebird X headphones, not for sport just for listening on the train. I've read a few reviews that say that they don't have enough bass, I wont be listening to any heavy hip hop sounds just speech radio/podcasts where I think some decent bass tones are essential.

I suppose my question is should I ignore the bad reviews that imply the sound is tinney or do you think they will be capable of decent sound for my needs?

If you get the comply foam tips, they'll be more comfortable and have a greater seal - giving you the bass you want. They really do have fantastic sound - just have issues with breaks in the sound stream if you have them paired with the watch and are moving around a lot (running, walking). Should be fine if you're just sitting/standing on the train.

RedGT

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2014
London innit
Just b
If you get the comply foam tips, they'll be more comfortable and have a greater seal - giving you the bass you want. They really do have fantastic sound - just have issues with breaks in the sound stream if you have them paired with the watch and are moving around a lot (running, walking). Should be fine if you're just sitting/standing on the train.
Just bought some and they sound pretty good, I got more bass from my wired JVC in ear headphones but these fit nicely. Just ordered some foam buds from Amazon to see if I get an even better fit and a bit more bass

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada

Just had another thought. (somewhat kicking myself for not trying the over-the-ear holders with the BlueBuds). Which wrist do you wear your watch on? if you like the over-the-ear adapter, that puts the control on the left - if your watch is on the same side, you may get better performance than I did.

(still think the BT should be powerful enough to go around your body....)

From BestBuy you have 30 days to try them out and return them if you don't like them. If the store gives you a hard time you could call customer service and explain how they're not reliable enough. (they didn't give me a hard time at all).

fundoo4u

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2014
These are my new Denon AH-GC20's with active noise cancellation, they sound superb being audiophile quality gear, they also use the APT-X codec over Bluetooth which is as good as it gets, shame the iPhones don't support it yet but a least the Macbook Pro's do from 2012 onwards.

IMG_0465 by Andy B, on Flickr

IMG_0466 by Andy B, on Flickr
how is the quality for these headphone? is the worth price? can it work with apple iphone 6 and iwatch?

Andydigital

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2013
how is the quality for these headphone? is the worth price? can it work with apple iphone 6 and iwatch?

Yes they work with any Bluetooth enabled audio device, I've used them with everything from a Plasma TV to the Apple Watch. They are very high quality manufactured headphones, I'm very impressed with them, especially as they were only £250 in the UK. Yes I realise that may sound like a lot but for the quality you are getting i.e. Denon, it is definitely worth it in my opinion.

Sound quality is very very good to my ear and I've been a DJ for quite a few years. No part of the sound stage stands out, they are quite neutral which is what you want in a good pair of headphones. The Bass is quite impressive too, but again not too strong.

Passive noise cancellation is good and when you turn on active NC it will even hide the sound of your own breathing. The active noise cancellation can be turned on without the Bluetooth being turned on, so you can use them just to cut out noise if you want and save a bit of battery in the process. I can quite happily listen to these things for 12 hours in a day and not feel any discomfort, not from their sound or just from wearing them.

iBighouse

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2012
Am now listening to Beats1 radio with my brand new Jaybird Bluebuds X. I went ahead and pulled the trigger and purchased them at Best Buy during my lunch hour today.

Really like them so far, but I do have some questions for those who have them.

1. It had a very small charge on it and I had to recharge them to use them this afternoon. I only charged them for about fifteen minutes. Is it okay to do partial small charges or does that shorten the battery life on them?

2. Although I paired them with my watch, I could not get any sound out of them by using the glances/itunes player on my watch. I ended up pairing them with my iphone instead. Guess I'll figure it out this weekend.

3. That little cover on the charging port looks pretty flimsy...anyone lose their charging cap cover yet?

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Am now listening to Beats1 radio with my brand new Jaybird Bluebuds X. I went ahead and pulled the trigger and purchased them at Best Buy during my lunch hour today.

Really like them so far, but I do have some questions for those who have them.

1. It had a very small charge on it and I had to recharge them to use them this afternoon. I only charged them for about fifteen minutes. Is it okay to do partial small charges or does that shorten the battery life on them?

2. Although I paired them with my watch, I could not get any sound out of them by using the glances/itunes player on my watch. I ended up pairing them with my iphone instead. Guess I'll figure it out this weekend.

3. That little cover on the charging port looks pretty flimsy...anyone lose their charging cap cover yet?

1. It's a lithium-ion battery - they have no memory, so you can charge it as often as you like - the headphones will wear out long before the battery does. (hmm...maybe...JayBird does have a sweat proof guarantee) :)

2. You only want them paired with the watch when you have a playlist synced to the watch (otherwise, it would be kinda pointless and also pretty hard on the bluetooth stack of the watch to get the songs relayed over bluetooth from the phone to the headphones) :)

3. I actually thought that was a lot more durable than what Apple did with the new PowerBeats 2's (newish...new colours) - they have a little rubber tab that pulls out - see that flimsy rubber thread holding it tearing one day soon.

Do you have the control and watch on the same side? (from my experience, they'll perform better that way).

iBighouse

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2012
Do you have the control and watch on the same side? (from my experience, they'll perform better that way).

Well, for me it won't matter as I won't be syncing playlists onto the watch itself. I'll likely have my iPhone with me wherever I go.

MrMoonUK

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
UK
Not really sure why people say the jaybirds don't work with just being paired to watch. I just ran for two hours with just the watch and jaybirds (and my garmin as the apple watch sux for running) but I didn't experience a single skip. I'm also really tall so the watch is quite far away from my ears

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Not really sure why people say the jaybirds don't work with just being paired to watch. I just ran for two hours with just the watch and jaybirds (and my garmin as the apple watch sux for running) but I didn't experience a single skip. I'm also really tall so the watch is quite far away from my ears
I think it really depends if they're on the same side of the body or not. If they are, you're fine. Performance was inconsistent.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I bought the latest Beats wireless from a reputable eBay dealer for £70 less than the Apple Store. So far, so good.
I bluetooth the beats to my phone as that's where I keep my music and use my watch as a remote.
It works beautifully

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I think I should have looked at more of the reviews of the Powerbeats2's before picking them up. Lots and lots of reviews of them failing. Bought mine July 4th, 23 days later they started acting up (couldn't connect to them, then they wouldn't shut off), seemed ok, then the battery life tanked (90 minutes the one day, then 95 minutes the next) - on a full charge. Called Apple and opened a case - they had me do a reset on them. Left them on the charger for a couple days - went to use them this morning - the LED is still red (meaning, not charged). The wouldn't power on. Tried to do another reset. Nadda. Called Apple. They're sending a return package to send them in to be repaired/replaced.
Really hope the next set I get are far more durable.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
I think I should have looked at more of the reviews of the Powerbeats2's before picking them up. Lots and lots of reviews of them failing. Bought mine July 4th, 23 days later they started acting up (couldn't connect to them, then they wouldn't shut off), seemed ok, then the battery life tanked (90 minutes the one day, then 95 minutes the next) - on a full charge. Called Apple and opened a case - they had me do a reset on them. Left them on the charger for a couple days - went to use them this morning - the LED is still red (meaning, not charged). The wouldn't power on. Tried to do another reset. Nadda. Called Apple. They're sending a return package to send them in to be repaired/replaced.
Really hope the next set I get are far more durable.

Sounds like a duff pair. I'm having a great time with mine. Had them 3 months, give or take.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
IMG_0674.JPG
Sounds like a duff pair. I'm having a great time with mine. Had them 3 months, give or take.
I don't think it's all that rare. Look at the reviews:
http://www.apple.com/shop/reviews/MHBE2AM/A/beats-powerbeats2-wireless-in-ear-headphones-black
btw...they must have dried out. I had connected them to my mac to see if the beats updater software would still recognize them (it did). Then forgot an left them connected to the mac all night. Well, they were charged in the AM, turned on and connected to the watch. I was going to take them on my run, then noticed the volume controls were gone. It had completely fallen off. See pic.

Last edited:

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Just bought the Blues 2 bone conduction (open ear) headphones by AfterShokz at Best Buy today. This is my first experience with BT headphones and so far I'm loving it! I paired them up with my 13" rMBP and am right now enjoying one of my favorite albums. So nice to be able to get up and go to another room without having to take them off, or fiddle with tangly cords. This is great! I probably won't bother pairing them with my watch, though, but like having the option to do so.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
I've settled on the Bluebirds X, with Comply Foam tips. Never falls out, comfortable enough. Sound is decent. I use mine exclusively while at the gym and for running. Replaced some terrible Plantronics BackBeat Go 2 Bluetooth earbuds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.