Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TxWatch

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2015
Texas
Are you planning to use them with your Apple Watch for running or working out? If so, I recommend a pair with over the ear support, like the Backbeat Fits. The worst thing that can happen while working out is to be constantly adjusting or putting the ear buds back into your ears while in motion.

I realize these are a lot cheaper, but if you are not happy with them, what did you really save?

TxWatch

TxWatch

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2015
Texas
Are you serious? Unless you are the Tin Man, what arm you wear your watch on does not matter.

I know this is a very old post, but the arm you choose for your Watch is important due to it's weak BT radio. I bought the Backbeat Fits which have the receiver in the right ear piece and I was not able to wear my Watch on my left arm. My music was cutting in and out, my playlist kept playing the same song multiple times and it was an overall bad listening experience. I researched the issue on this forum and someone mentioned a similar issue with the Powerbeats 2 headsets. (They have their receiver on the left, so you have to wear your Watch on your left arm) As soon as I moved my Watch to my right arm, the issues went away.

I have been running outdoors for several weeks with my Watch on the right and the Backbeat Fits have worked perfectly from that day forward. I highly recommend them for fitness activities with your Watch.

TxWatch

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Are you planning to use them with your Apple Watch for running or working out? If so, I recommend a pair with over the ear support, like the Backbeat Fits. The worst thing that can happen while working out is to be constantly adjusting or putting the ear buds back into your ears while in motion.

I realize these are a lot cheaper, but if you are not happy with them, what did you really save?

TxWatch

I didn't think of that. I don't work out, but was hoping to use these for some walks/ jogs once the weather gets milder. It wasn't a matter of price for me at all, I just thought they looked like a nice pair of earbuds similar to Apple's. Considering purchasing these if I wind up having a problem:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A23K4BMC7EI317

or

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=A23K4BMC7EI317

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Received the earbuds today and for the price they are good - they even came with the ear hook adapters which was a nice surprise. The sound quality isn't great, but good enough for the price and for walks - which is probably the only time I'll use them.

TxWatch

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2015
Texas
Received the earbuds today and for the price they are good - they even came with the ear hook adapters which was a nice surprise. The sound quality isn't great, but good enough for the price and for walks - which is probably the only time I'll use them.

Glad to hear it worked out for you.

TxWatch

Reactions: myrtlebee

Chromie

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2011
any bluetooth headphones good for just audio? (minus the running)

i work at best buy so I'm trying to pick something where i can use my discount.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

For just audio? I love my Bose Bluetooth on-ear headphones. If you can still find them in the stockroom, grab one up. They just discontinued it and now only have the bigger around the ear model.

Catul

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2010

Jaybird Bluebuds, awesome quality (little bass heavy) and very comfortable (especially paired with Complyfoam).

Reactions: eyeseeyou

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
For those of us who sweat a lot how is the experience with complyfoams?

I'm looking for aftermarket ear bud tips similar to the bose tips where they're semi in ear also similar to the apple ear pods but arent jammed into your ear canal.

Catul

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2010
For those of us who sweat a lot how is the experience with complyfoams?

I've found Complyfoams to stay in pretty well once you insert the earbuds the "correct" way by rolling them up a bit and then pulling back on your ear while inserting. I don't sweat excessively, but would certainly think the Complyfoams would do as good a job as any similar product on the market, and I've found them to be a relatively inexpensive and worthwhile addition to a good pair of in-ear headphones.

Reactions: eyeseeyou

jasie02

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014

Sony SBH70 if you like Apple style earbuds, Sony SBH80 if you like in-ear style earbuds, for ultimate deep "clean" bass over the ear style look for Sony MDRXB950BT/B.

Wide wide wide sound stage for all of them, clean clean clean you could pin point everything detail for all of them. MDRXB950BT/B is the best, follow by SBH80, then SBH70, but with Apple style earbud, for me SBH70 is the most comfortable, which I could sleep with it.

I think best buy carry Sony MDRXB950BT/B, but SBH70 and SBH80 will have to get it from Amazon or eBay.

Added: By the way, SBH70 is water/sweat resist, I used it in rain without issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: markl9

justinharris89

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2015
I'm looking for a good over-ear pair of bluetooth buds that are sweat resisitant; I've already gone through a few cheap pairs from Amazon and want to do my homework if I'm going to spend a bit more. It seems on the earlier pages that the powerbeats wireless are favored, and that's the way I was leaning initially. Have they held up well? I sweat a lot while running, and would like these to last a while. Thanks!

TRICKorDEVICE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2014
I'm looking for a good over-ear pair of bluetooth buds that are sweat resisitant; I've already gone through a few cheap pairs from Amazon and want to do my homework if I'm going to spend a bit more. It seems on the earlier pages that the powerbeats wireless are favored, and that's the way I was leaning initially. Have they held up well? I sweat a lot while running, and would like these to last a while. Thanks!

Do yourself a favor and get the Blueant Pumps. They are fantastic, price is unreal too. Great for heavy sweaters.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011

I've had the same experience striking out on cheaper, no name brands on amazon and finally coughed up some cash for some jaybirds. They're not perfect but haven't malfunctioned like the others due to sweat(I sweat a lot).

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Jaybird-BlueBuds-X-Premium-Bluetooth-Buds/46519170

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011

71cwPMEmImL._SL1500_.jpg

Look kind of heavy.

TRICKorDEVICE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2014
71cwPMEmImL._SL1500_.jpg

Look kind of heavy.

I was worried about that as well. But they are much more comfortable then they look. I bought them when they were over $100. Other headphones have failed after a few uses. Even the ones that were supposedly waterproof. At $30 what have you got to lose?

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
heard the new jaybird freedoms are basically waterproof. They sound amazing too. 200$ though

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Time to find a new pair. I was really impressed with the sound and fit of the PowerBeats2 Wireless when I tried a few different brands on, but I'm on my third replacement pair now due to recurring same faults. The more I've read, the more it seems to be a real design flaw with them where sweat/moisture/breathing on them gets in to the electronics.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
BestBuy has the JayBird Freedoms on sale for their labour day sale ($30 off in the US, $50 off in Canada - making the price $169.99 on both sides of the boarder (so, actually 25% cheaper up here for the weekend).

They (US) also have the original BlueBuds X on sale for $101 - avoid these! They have the cross-body problem (watch on left, receiver on right causes cutouts).

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Careful with Jaybird buds. They break on their own easily and Jaybird's customer service stinks. Just check their Facebook page.

Can vouch. My buttons started playing up after 11 months - pressing the pause button would 50% of the time do a redial. Which is terrible when you're in a car and have to scramble to end call.

I bought from Amazon UK, they were still under warranty but Jaybird told me I'd have to ship them back to their US hq at my expense. I protested that they weren't even a year old, they didn't want to know. Not worth the effort returning frankly, too much chance of it reoccurring given other reports, so I just wrote them off.

Never again. Besides, only in battery life were they better than my old (and resurrected) Plantronic Backbeat Go 2s. Cost me £40 years ago, still working.

Likely get the AirPods when they appear, 90% of listening is podcasts anyway. Will use my old Plantronics at gym.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.