Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nyguy76

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2013
Are people still using Office? Everyone I know has moved on and only the most conservative of businesses I've seen still use it.

Despite many free alternative Office is still the de facto standard. Even offering free software, no one has been able to make any meaningful dent in Microsoft's market share.

outback1313

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2014
Despite many free alternative Office is still the de facto standard. Even offering free software, no one has been able to make any meaningful dent in Microsoft's market share.

True. And this statement also applies to Windows. Let's face it--the business World runs on MS Windows and MS Office.

TXCherokee

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2012
It is ridiculous that we even have separate Apps between iOS and MacOS. It should all be one unified OS. Apps should be able to run on all the hardware, doing as much as the hardware allows and working within the interface of the hardware be it a MacPro, iMac, MacBook, iPhone, iPad, iPod or iWatch. Scale gracefully and automatically load only the necessary components onto the hardware as needed for a unified look, feel and operation so we always have access to our data. The more power the hardware has, the more you can do. Very basic.

While we're at it, full legacy support for past software and data is also needed.

Patience....the OSes get more and more unified every version. In another few years I think your 'demand' will be reality.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
Still waiting for office for mac 2014. It's baffling how long it's taking Microsoft to release it.

----------

Patience....the OSes get more and more unified every version. In another few years I think your 'demand' will be reality.

While I love Windows 8, especially 8.1, it has also convinced me that desktop and mobile OS's should always be separate.

TallGuyGT

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
NYC
Still waiting for office for mac 2014.It's baffling how long it's taking Microsoft to release it.

I completely agree. I really like Office for iPad, but geez Microsoft get on with Office for Mac.

It it's shipping this year as has been indicated, at least announce it with a target date.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
This. Every business I know relies on Excel to some degree. Unfortunately, there is no acceptable alternative. The other apps within the office suite are easily replaced, but excel is not. Even the Mac version is not truly acceptable. I have to run a VM just for the windows version to manipulate larger spreadsheets.

I've been waiting for a new 2014 Office for Mac Excel for months.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
It is ridiculous that we even have separate Apps between iOS and MacOS. It should all be one unified OS. Apps should be able to run on all the hardware, doing as much as the hardware allows and working within the interface of the hardware be it a MacPro, iMac, MacBook, iPhone, iPad, iPod or iWatch. Scale gracefully and automatically load only the necessary components onto the hardware as needed for a unified look, feel and operation so we always have access to our data. The more power the hardware has, the more you can do. Very basic.

While we're at it, full legacy support for past software and data is also needed.

I believe Microsoft claims to have just the device for you.

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
It's great to see that it's getting better and better. Post pc is getting closer by the day!

I do wish they'd sort out the licensing though. I use Excel a lot at work, on my Windows 8.1 laptop. I work for a FTSE 100 company, which has an enterprise agreement with more than 100,000 Office licences, which also allows me to download Office for Mac or Windows for £8.99 for personal use. We use Sharepoint, but OneDrive is blocked. On my home computers, I can access my work email, but nothing else, because Sharepoint locks me out. I would have to pay for an Office 365 subscription to use the iPad apps, but the only way to get any files there is by emailing them to myself, making no use whatsoever of Microsoft's servers.

I get that my work is worried about security, but there's nothing to stop me using email to get my documents onto any other computer, so why should they be worried about OneDrive when they use Sharepoint? They even let me access most of the intranet from any random computer (or even a phone) so why not let me access my own files? Why can I get a £500 piece of software for £8.99, but not a £9 per month piece of software for 20p?

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Still the best productivity apps in the business. Does this sync with Google Drive?

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I love these updates. Office for iPad has really become a wonderful piece of software. Minimal, fast, and compatible. It has replaced iWork and most simple text editors for me.

I hope these improvements foreshadow a soon to be released Office for Mac.

4look4rd

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2009
Are people still using Office? Everyone I know has moved on and only the most conservative of businesses I've seen still use it.

I hope you are kidding. Excel is the backbone of most businesses and will continue to be well into the foreseeable future.

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
This. Every business I know relies on Excel to some degree. Unfortunately, there is no acceptable alternative. The other apps within the office suite are easily replaced, but excel is not. Even the Mac version is not truly acceptable. I have to run a VM just for the windows version to manipulate larger spreadsheets.
In my experience limiting the size of spreadsheets would be good because it would force people to use databases and normalised data. Huge excel spreadsheets might be the backbone of businesses but I'd suggest in many cases they are also the bane...

iNosey

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2012
No one cares. Everyone should iWork. It's soo much more superior than microsofts junkware. That stuff is as slow as anything, even on a new Mac. Too many controls too

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
In my experience limiting the size of spreadsheets would be good because it would force people to use databases and normalised data. Huge excel spreadsheets might be the backbone of businesses but I'd suggest in many cases they are also the bane...

Those spreadsheets are the backbone of many organizations. They’ve got multiple herniated discs, of course, and they should by all rights be replaced, but whatever.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
No one cares. Everyone should iWork. It's soo much more superior than microsofts junkware. That stuff is as slow as anything, even on a new Mac. Too many controls too

They should use iWork even if Numbers isn't as good as Excel?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I completely agree. I really like Office for iPad, but geez Microsoft get on with Office for Mac.

It it's shipping this year as has been indicated, at least announce it with a target date.
We're making good use of the Office365 subscription (5 PCs/Macs + 5 tablets) in our home, but Office:Mac is a sore spot. It's a bit slow and clunky. We have another 8-9 months before I need to renew my subscription, but if there isn't an update to the Mac version by then, I will seriously need to reconsider.

Another irritant (although not technically part of Office) is the lack of inking in the OSX and iOS versions of OneNote.

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011

iWork applications are unnecessarily underpowered and not compatibility friendly with the rest of the world. No thanks. Give me the software that offers everything I'll ever need, even if I never use everything they offer.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Yep, millions of us. Even us non-conservative types. Could easily live without Word and Powerpoint (I'd take even iCloud Keynote over Powerpoint), but Excel is still awesome and indispensable.

I was just having this conversation with a co-worker. For work I cannot give up Excel. But Keynote is way better than PowerPoint. And Word vs Pages is a bit of a toss up for me. When you look at the price, however, Apple wins in my book. At home especially, it is all Apple. I do miss my pivot tables but I hope Apple will add those soon (and if I need that one feature at home i go Open Office).

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
Really?

When was the last time you spoke to anyone who works at a fortune 500 company? They predominantly use MS Office. File compatibility is king. Excel is the defacto standard for spreadsheet in hundreds of thousands of companies around the world and MS Word remains entrenched as well. Yes, there are cloud solutions but just open your eyes and you'll see MS Office everywhere.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006

:eek:

Are you out of your mind ? There's nothing else out there that is as powerful, as easy to use and as robust as Microsoft Office.

The iPad version makes no exception, it is a great success. I wish the biggest company on this planet would have done something better, but iWork simply does not compete on either platform.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I was just having this conversation with a co-worker. For work I cannot give up Excel. But Keynote is way better than PowerPoint. And Word vs Pages is a bit of a toss up for me. When you look at the price, however, Apple wins in my book. At home especially, it is all Apple. I do miss my pivot tables but I hope Apple will add those soon (and if I need that one feature at home i go Open Office).
I was looking for a way to do pivot tables in Numbers, I ran across this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkJzyTdBaHo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.