Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
Knowing you can use very capable Microsoft Office Applications on the iPad has to be a huge selling point for iOS in corporate America. I mean, we've always had the cool factor where Execs want iOS or the security factor around Sanboxing, but Office is something everyone can appreciate, because they're likely using it on their PC or even Mac (I really hate Office for Mac). Seeing Apple teaming up with IBM to get more corporate penetration, you can make a safe assumption Apple is silently praising the release of Office for iPad to help them with that deep penetration.

Yes and no ... I'd hope Apple + IBM could update and reinforce iWork to create a 'pro Works' with IBM secure cloud networking and syncing and get rid of any dependence for Microsoft. If said product can open and translate anything from Microsoft, that's all that is required. IT and MIS need to be weaned of thinking Microsoft, this is 2014 and Microsoft have zero mobile presence, they are a relic of the 20th Century.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Are people still using Office? Everyone I know has moved on and only the most conservative of businesses I've seen still use it.

Yep, millions of people around the world.

Ironic that you live in Seattle WA and you don't come across any businesses that use Microsoft (based in Redmond). What industry are you in?

(and preemptive lol if you say "graphic design" or "art" of some kind)

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Are people still using Office? Everyone I know has moved on and only the most conservative of businesses I've seen still use it.

Though there are good/arguably better replacements for Word and PowerPoint, I have yet to come across anything that has the power of Excel. Numbers is okay for personal and some small business use, but it simply can't match Excel's functionality.

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
Contoso?

What I learned the most from this article came from viewing the slides more closely. The slides mention the company Contoso. Hmmm...what is this? Is it a real company? Nope. It's a dummy company name that's been used by Microsoft for several years. contoso.com also forwards to microsoft.com

pearvsapple

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2012
Such a shame there's no real competition for Office. With all those money, Apple and Google can't produce a clone. Maybe they should hire Samsung to infiltrate Microsoft's building for the blue print.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
I run an office and make the IT purchasing decisions. I was starting to lose faith in Microsoft Office and wanted iWork to get great so that one day I could switch. But with Office365 and the iPad version they 100% changed my mind. Microsoft is serious and highly focused here. These apps are excellent, blowing away all other iPad productivity apps. I never expected MS would take it this far on the iPad.

Office 365 on the PC is also terrific.

Now they are proving that frequent updates can be counted on.

The subscription cost took some getting used to, but MS throws in many perks to help make it worth it.

There is no better way to get things done.

iplayerboy

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2014
Their advanced will bring in new boom to the capacity of users who are looking for more functioning within their Ipads & other devices that will now make them more active for end to end solution for their customers.

Muk4r0

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2012
Losing ground on a scam strategy !

While I'd like to see the prices come down some, the subscription model is where software if headed, especially on phones and tablets. It makes sense in that staff can be dedicated by a company to continually improve a piece of software knowing that a certain amount of revenue is coming in to pay for that development. It also can quicken the update cycle allowing for incremental updates that no one would pay full price for as a new version.

Then why is it that Microsoft is giving an almost full featured version on their Win RT tablet and a subscription based experience on IOS ... they are both the same architecture ... Maybe its a sale point differentiator or maybe Microsoft knows how to milk down iOS users wallet ... The gap from pc and mobile performance is narrowing exponentially every year. The excuse for a cloud service to run a world processing and data entry full feature software is so lame. They are pushing too hard on a marketing strategy that does not justify at all. The only thing this does is exploit the user, and Microsoft is realizing the user knows better.

Last edited:

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Then why is it that Microsoft is giving a full featured version on their Win RT tablet and a subscription based experience on IOS !? Bos taurus faex ! They are both the same architecture ... Maybe its a sale point differentiator or maybe Microsoft knows how to milk down iOS users wallet ... The gap from pc and mobile performance is narrowing exponentially every year. The excuse for a server to run a world processing and data entry software is so lame, 10 years have passed since you don't need a workstation to do basic typing editing or run multimedia elements ... They are pushing too hard on a marketing strategy that does not justify at all. The only thing this does is exploit the user, and Microsoft is realizing the user knows better.
FYI, Office for Windows RT is not "full featured". Close, but not quite.
http://products.office.com/en-us/office-rt/office-2013-rt-faqs#

"Q.Does Office 2013 RT include the same features as Office Home & Student 2013 and Outlook 2013 on my Windows 7 or Windows 8 PC?

A.Almost – The Office 2013 RT version of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, and Outlook applications include the vast majority of Office Home & Student 2013 and Outlook 2013 features available on PCs, and nearly all the features most customers use. But because tablets have special needs for security and mobility, a few features are unavailable in Office 2013 RT applications, including macros, add-ins, and other custom programs written by users or developed by third parties."

Also, Office 2013 RT is "desktop" based and is not optimized for touch like the iOS version is.
*edit for clarity* What I mean by "not optimized for touch" is that it isn't a Modern UI app. Modern UI is optimized, desktop is not.

I don't know what you mean by "server to run world processing" but the only time Microsoft servers come into play with an Office 365 subscription is to phone home once a month to verify that the subscription is still active.

Because they need to do something to get the RT to sell.
This too.

Last edited:

Muk4r0

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2012
Thats right to the point ! A pseudo app! Thats why its a freemium after all ...

Last edited:

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.

Microsoft Office has over ONE BILLION users. So, yes, people are still using it, and it's still the de facto standard in the corporate world, powering countless of business applications that are built on top of it.

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
Glad to see this evolving, still not a fan of the subscription model though.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Another irritant (although not technically part of Office) is the lack of inking in the OSX and iOS versions of OneNote.

This drives me crazy, especially on the iPad. It's the one features that keeps apps like Notability around for me. I've left reviews and feedback on both versions after each update, but nope.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
Folks keep talking about the subscription model. At first I was agreeing that I didn't like it either. But after thinking about it I think it's the way to go.

I'm retired now but I remember years when MS came out with a new version. We traded docs (including Excel and PowerPoint) with a bunch of other companies and gov agencies. Every time we all went through "what version are you using? Ok, I'll 'save as'", or "we are running 2xxx, can you save as 2yyy". If you had to 'save as' you had to go through your doc again to make sure everything came out ok in case the version you were 'saving as' didn't support a function you used. It was a real pain. With the new model everyone will always be on the same version. For corporate this will be a real time saver. It also will be easier to budget for updates, actually the same price all the time so your IT manager doesn't have to 'find the $$$ this year to update' or try to budget for it only to have the bean-counters strike it.

If you are only using it for personal use I can see not going the subscription route. But for enterprise models this will be easier and let's face it, that's where MS makes it's money.

And there's the point that users won't have to wait for updates to Excel for instance, while the Word dev team is still working. I'm thinking that major improvements will come faster.

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Microsoft's Office for iPad apps, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint received a major update today that adds several new user-requested features to each app. All three apps have gained the ability to export files as PDFs, and each one has also gained new Picture Tools that let users crop to focus on the right part of an image. Third-party fonts have also been added to each app.

Excel now includes improved external keyboard support to make the experience of using Excel on the iPad more like a desktop usage experience. There are more print options available, and a new "Flick to Select" feature lets users flick to select all data in a row or column.

Word didn't gain new features beyond the Picture Tools, Fonts, and ability to send PDFs, but PowerPoint has seen some improvements. The app has a new Presenter View that lets users view and edit speaker notes, see next slides, and jump to other slides while presenting. Presenter tools allow for highlights and drawings to be erased within presentations, while new media features make it possible for users to play videos, sound effects, and background music while presenting. There are also new tools to insert videos from the Camera Roll and add/edit hyperlinks.

Today's update is the second major update the Office software has gotten since its March release. Back in April, the three apps gained some important features that had been missing since launch, including the ability to print directly from the apps.

Microsoft's Office for iPad apps have proven to be highly successful for the company. During its Q4 earnings call in July, Microsoft announced that its Office for iPad software had been downloaded more than 35 million times.

Microsoft has committed to continually improving its Office for iPad apps, which now directly compete with Apple's own iWork suite including Numbers, Keynote, and Pages. "As this wave of updates hopefully shows, we're making good on our commitment to delivering continuous updates and improvements to the Office for iPad apps," read's the company's blog post on the new update.

All of the updates to the new Office apps are currently available and can be downloaded from the App Store for free. While the apps can be accessed for free, unlocking full capabilities, including editing and creating documents, requires an Office 365 subscription.

- Microsoft Word for iPad [Direct Link]
- Microsoft Excel for iPad [Direct Link]
- Microsoft PowerPoint for iPad [Direct Link]

Article Link: Microsoft's Office for iPad Apps Gain New Picture Tools, Third-Party Fonts, and Ability to Send Files as PDFs

WPS Office is the same and free. 100% compatible.

I didn't even get office for my last laptop. I just got WPS (Kingsoft).

Supports Google drive, Dropbox, etc.

Supports wireless printing and Bluetooth keyboards.

Supports Airdrop too

All free

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Folks keep talking about the subscription model. At first I was agreeing that I didn't like it either. But after thinking about it I think it's the way to go.

I'm retired now but I remember years when MS came out with a new version. We traded docs (including Excel and PowerPoint) with a bunch of other companies and gov agencies. Every time we all went through "what version are you using? Ok, I'll 'save as'", or "we are running 2xxx, can you save as 2yyy". If you had to 'save as' you had to go through your doc again to make sure everything came out ok in case the version you were 'saving as' didn't support a function you used. It was a real pain. With the new model everyone will always be on the same version. For corporate this will be a real time saver. It also will be easier to budget for updates, actually the same price all the time so your IT manager doesn't have to 'find the $$$ this year to update' or try to budget for it only to have the bean-counters strike it.

If you are only using it for personal use I can see not going the subscription route. But for enterprise models this will be easier and let's face it, that's where MS makes it's money.

And there's the point that users won't have to wait for updates to Excel for instance, while the Word dev team is still working. I'm thinking that major improvements will come faster.

When the subscription model first came out I was not in agreement with it either, but after thinking about it I feel it is the way to go as well. with the standard subscription you can install it on up to 5 computers (Mac or PC) and up to 5 tablets. You get all the updates for free and now 1TB of space on OneDrive.

It's a lot easier accessing your files right from OneDrive. Having both Macs (iMac and MacBook and a PC laptop paying just $99 a year in my book is a lot better than buying new versions every few years. As for One Drive, 1TB is a lot more than I think I could ever fill. To pay for that much space on dropbox or iCloud would cost close to $100 a year as well. In addition to that the convenience of always getting the updates, and being able to access my files from any computer regardless of where I am, just brings a greater value to the whole subscription as well.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I just got around to testing the newest version of PowerPoint for iOS. I had to mothball the previous versions because of lack of support for embedded video. But this latest version supports embedded videos.

Playback was flawless and the ability to connect my iPad to a projector/HDTV via HDMI was terrific... within seconds all was connected and Powerpoint automatically routed the presentation to HDMI.

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
You know, until recently, people also had to pay actual money for iWork. Perhaps MS felt Apple users like paying for stripped-down applications with only the most basic features based on that?

At least MS is adding features people want, not removing them.

1. One time fee =! Subscription BS

2. Atleast Apple made them free. They cost ZERO dollars now. Your point being..........?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.