Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
You can't know very many people then. Literally all businesses use Office. Those that don't are usually a mickey mouse outfit anyway.

Last time I checked Lockheed Martin was using a cloud service, and I want to say it was Google Docs for business. Just saying.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Cononical posts for "MS Office-related" threads:

1. MS Office? Do people still use that?
  2. Subscription for Office? No thanks, I don't rent software.
  3. iWorks is all anyone really needs.
  4. Those who don't use MS Office don't really need anything more advanced than a dumbphone.
  5. Serious productivity work can only be done with MS Office.
  6. oh yeah, well you're a poopy-head!

Pick a number and go with it. :D

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Cononical posts for "MS Office-related" threads:

1. MS Office? Do people still use that?
  2. Subscription for Office? No thanks, I don't rent software.
  3. iWorks is all anyone really needs.
  4. Those who don't use MS Office don't really need anything more advanced than a dumbphone.
  5. Serious productivity work can only be done with MS Office.
  6. oh yeah, well you're a poopy-head!

Pick a number and go with it. :D

Number 6 for me! :D

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Are people still using Office? Everyone I know has moved on and only the most conservative of businesses I've seen still use it.

Before Office for iPad was released I was content using iWork on my Mac and iPads, even though I did have a copy of Office for Mac on my Mac. I would only use Excel when I needed something that had to be compatible at work which is run entirely on Office for Windows.

However, when Office for iPad was released i signed onto the Office 365 and now enjoy MS Office on my macBookPro, iMac, iPad, iPad mini and even iPhone. I even have a Windows laptop that has been sitting in the closet since 2011 that I sometimes play around with. It's been great. Now that Office 365 includes 1 TB of storage with OneDrive, it's really a pretty good deal for $99 a year and when Office for Mac 2014 04 2015 is released, a simple easy download since all updates are included. Needless to say I am using Office a lot more now than I did in the past.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
I love that they are working so hard on these. It is great to see some competition to iWork. Understandably, Office can't be free, but so far, I am sure many people have been able to justify springing for the subscription just for their iPads

iWork doesn't have subscription...but for OFFICE, they could have given us the option to pay one time fee...

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
Pivot tables. Wow. I wasn't expecting this. Well done M$! This makes excel a killer app now on the iPad

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
And for what price? I highly doubt that Microsoft would sell individual Office components for $10/each (which is what I've heard from others would be acceptable)

Wow, 10$ each?

Are you serious that people expect this?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Unfortunately I don't think that feature is there anymore.
Oh, if all you have is the latest free version of OSX iWork, then you're probably correct. I'm holding on to my iWork '09 like grim death.

Wow, 10$ each?
Are you serious that people expect this?
Sadly, yes. They look to the original pricing of iWork for iOS as a baseline... obviously ignoring the difference in functionality between the two sets of apps.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Oh, if all you have is the latest free version of OSX iWork, then you're probably correct. I'm holding on to my iWork '09 like grim death.

Sadly, yes. They look to the original pricing of iWork for iOS as a baseline... obviously ignoring the difference in functionality between the two sets of apps.

And that's why iOS can't get good things. Apple has set the price bar too low.

Renzatic

Suspended

That, and the different business models between the two companies.

Apple subsidizes their software through hardware sales. They're not giving away OSX and iWork for free just because they're nice. MS is, of course, a software company, and only a tiny amount of their income comes from their relatively small hardware division. You could say that some of their software is overpriced, but hell, you could say the same thing about Apple and their hardware.

Some way some how, Apple and MS both are making money off their stuff. Nothing is truly free or cheap between either of them.

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
I've yet to find a task Pages/Numbers/Keynote can't do. Admittedly, I'm not a power user for this kind of work but I'd bet the vast majority of users aren't either.

I was wondering if this comment was intended to be sarcastic.

Otherwise, I am wondering what especially Pages can do. Right now, the feature set only slightly exceeds Wordpad for Windows. Yes, it's good enough for writing a letter or creating some small brochure, but that's it. How do you handle a bigger document with Pages if you can't have headings/subheadings that you can see in a clickable document map? That for me is already the killer. And that is only the first of many features that I miss in Pages, as much as I want to love that software.

Pages '09 was not bad, but the current version is a toy. And no, that is not something that applies to a small group of power users. The majority of office users use it for business purposes. For them, Wordpad is not enough. Pages simply isn't usable in a professional environment, and I really wonder what Apple uses internally, because they certainly have to deal with long design documents. I strongly suspect that most Apple employees use Pages '09.

At least until recently, iCloud support was still an argument for iWork for me, until Pages on my iPhone decided to overwrite a document with a four-week-old version just like that (luckily Time Machine on the Mac recovered the newest version). That is when I stopped using iWork for good.

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
LOL they didn't have these before and Microsoft has been charging people an Office 365 Subscription for them?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You know, until recently, people also had to pay actual money for iWork. Perhaps MS felt Apple users like paying for stripped-down applications with only the most basic features based on that?

At least MS is adding features people want, not removing them.

henzpwnapple

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2009
I hate PC, but I have to say, the Office for iDevice team did really impress me. I personally did think abit more on the 365 program because of that. ;)

Keep getting this thing better but not more complicated. Let's see if this team will eventually be any other tech geeks starting to add too much things in it and make it stoned.

365 program? Still a distance before I would take out my card. :apple:

MattMak

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2014
I love my Mac, but absolutely hate iWork. I picked up Office 365 in a heartbeat. And with the sweet university discount, I haven't looked back. There's just so much more that you can do with Office and I'm pretty sure even Apple realized that back when they made the PC and Mac commercials.

D-Dave

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2010
No one cares. Everyone should iWork. It's soo much more superior than microsofts junkware. That stuff is as slow as anything, even on a new Mac. Too many controls too
When I realised you are not being sarcastic...I almost fell from my chair laughing.

Thanks for that!!!:D

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Fantastic. Love the iOS apps. Great job Microsoft!

----------

Are people still using Office? Everyone I know has moved on and only the most conservative of businesses I've seen still use it.

Nothing comes close to Office. It is the best office suite out there. Kicks iWork and all the rest to the floor.

ioioos

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2014
I have an imac with win 8 dual boot, and I just took the 365 subscription. I don't like the idea of subscription software, but now they have bundled in 1TB of OneDrive per user of the subscription (5tb in total), my storage needs have been solved.

The uploads are a little slow, (download/stream is fine) but now I have all my video and music on OneDrive, and with a good connection, it all streams. The file limit is 2GB (I would prefer 5).

The way I'm looking at it, the subscription cost has vanished as I'm no longer paying for other subscriptions storages or fast external drives (I still retain one old HHD for annual backup stored out of my house.

The online office editing from OneDrive looks good too, but I haven't really put it to the test yet.

All in all, the MS solution suits my OS/Win balance/needs perfectly, its just my google tablet that is left out in the cold.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.