Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smitpat

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2014
Wow! Those are beautiful! I was amazed at being able to capture actual stars in the NYC sky, unimaginable with my iPhone X.
34171F78-5ECC-4F4E-BADA-725BA7BAAED5.jpeg

BigSpeen3436

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2021
I would also appreciate more details on your hardware setup. A quick search on bhp shows all kinds of Skywatcher Star Adventurer packages

redtape

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011
HOLY MACARONI!!!! YOU TOOK THESE WITH A PHONE?!! They are AMAZING! Great job man! You should do a youtube tutorial of the entire process.

Reactions: ToddH

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
How do you capture a thirty second exposure with the iPhone Pro 13? I have not been able to get it to go longer than six seconds.
Well actually you should be able to get 10 seconds hand held, but you have to have the phone on a tripod in order for it to know that it’s sitting still and not moving and then you move the exposure slider of night mode all the way to the left until it shows 30 seconds of exposure time. When the yellow oval circle at the top left corner is on showing night mode, you touch that and it reveals the slide bar at the bottom of the screen and you slide that all the way to the left to get your maximum exposure of 30 seconds. Same with handheld, you’ll get 10” that way. But the only way 30 seconds of exposure time will be achieved as when the phone is on a tripod or leaning up against something where it is sitting still.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
HOLY MACARONI!!!! YOU TOOK THESE WITH A PHONE?!! They are AMAZING! Great job man! You should do a youtube tutorial of the entire process.
Maybe I should do that. Seems like a good idea. Thanks for the compliment

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
What is skywatcher star? And how did you combine the 3 10 second images into one 30 second image?
Here is the tracker I use…
https://www.skywatcherusa.com/collections/star-adventurer
You can get it on Amazon and other places as well. As for stacking the 10 second exposures, the iPhone does that automatically after it finishes a 302nd exposure. It just takes three 10 second exposures and combined them after the photo has been taken. A tracking device is not required it just helps with image quality slightly. But it’s not required like I said. Just put your phone on a tripod and max out the night mode exposure time to 30 seconds and use Apple ProRAW because it looks better

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
These are stunning. Hard to believe it comes out of the phone. And I feel very humbled, small and insignificant when I see photos like this.
Thank you. I know exactly what you mean by feeling small. The universe is infinite and we will never access all of it ever because it’s too big. Not sure why it was created that way, but it sure is beautiful

Reactions: Feyl

highdefjunkie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2010
Chicago
Absolutely incredible. I am a photographer and shoot with a Canon 5D MK3. I swear these look almost as good as any pics i've seen with a DSLR camera. Great work my friend!

Reactions: ToddH

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Absolutely incredible. I am a photographer and shoot with a Canon 5D MK3. I swear these look almost as good as any pics i've seen with a DSLR camera. Great work my friend!
Thank you. I appreciate the kind compliment. I’ve taken many photos of the Milky Way using Nikon and Sony cameras. I’m happy knowing that the iPhone can do it as well especially when I can’t bring my expensive gear with me somewhere else. Lately I’ve been shooting more with my iPhone than anything else probably because it’s more fun and I don’t have any paid gig’s right now to use my Sony gear with.. So thanks again for the compliment

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Amazing shots! We’re these taken using ProRAW and what post editing softwar did you use?
Thanks so much. Yes I was using ProRAW and I edited these in Lightroom mobile on my phone. I did create some presets after getting it the way I like it from either my front yard or a dark location like this and saving those presets to use the next time around. There’s still a considerable amount of noise mainly because it’s high ISO and only 30 seconds of exposure time. If we are able to expose for two or three minutes at low ISO, it would look much better. But this is all we have to work with her right now

Reactions: GuruZac

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Thanks so much. Yes I was using ProRAW and I edited these in Lightroom mobile on my phone. I did create some presets after getting it the way I like it from either my front yard or a dark location like this and saving those presets to use the next time around. There’s still a considerable amount of noise mainly because it’s high ISO and only 30 seconds of exposure time. If we are able to expose for two or three minutes at low ISO, it would look much better. But this is all we have to work with her right now
Thanks so much! I wonder what type of shots are capable with using a 3rd party app that allows for shooting RAW with the manual ISO controls.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Thanks so much! I wonder what type of shots are capable with using a 3rd party app that allows for shooting RAW with the manual ISO controls.
I don’t think there are any. So far there aren’t any apps on the App Store that utilize night mode. And I think 30 seconds is all you’re going to get with the iPhone.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
He didn't use an X. Your pictures are outstanding! It's amazing those photos came from a cell phone..
Oh, I guess I miss read. Yeah I’m pretty darn happy that I’m able to get the Milky Way like that with an iPhone. I just wish I lived or could visit frequently Colorado or somewhere else with mountains to incorporate them with the night sky

IllinoisCorn

Suspended
Jan 15, 2021
Taken with ProRAW

So I drove to a dark site last night and set up my iPhone and Skywatcher Star adventurer to see if tracking the night sky for 30” during a night mode capture would look better. It does…The stars are pinpoint as compared to a tripod only mounted iPhone. You don’t need to track the sky, I did to see the difference. The images are better since the iPhone takes three 10” exposures and combines them therefore the stars are slightly elongated without tracking.

Anyway, here are my results. I used the 1x camera only. I did try the UWA but it wasn’t great. So if any of you have questions, I’ll be here to help.

here is a YouTube video from my Australian that will help you guys with your Milky Way photography

View attachment 1857813
View attachment 1857814
View attachment 1857815
View attachment 1857816
View attachment 1857817
Enjoy… I used Lightroom mobile on my iPhone to edit these. I have made some presets to make the edits easier and faster.
What is the device?

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
What is the device?
Referring to the star tracker? If so, it’s the Skywatcher Star Adventurer which is a small tripod mountable tracker that is powered by 4 AA batteries. I have the pro pack which has the counter weight to balance my Sony camera gear. Here is a Amazon link to it.

Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer 2i Pro Pack – Motorized Dslr Night Sky Tracker Equatorial Mount for Portable Nightscapes, Time-Lapse and Panoramas – Wi-Fi App Camera Control – Long Exposure Imaging https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NY44782/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_QSX3HMMF4SZK2ZQFVK28

Reactions: IllinoisCorn

Deifie

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2016
I don’t think there are any. So far there aren’t any apps on the App Store that utilize night mode. And I think 30 seconds is all you’re going to get with the iPhone.
There´s an app called "Even Longer", Shayne Mostyn also has some Videos about it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.