Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
There´s an app called "Even Longer", Shayne Mostyn also has some Videos about it...
Ok… I did forget about Nightcap which is a low light / star trails app. I have it and it works great!!! I was thinking of night mode only. But Nightcap is one of the better night and day apps

Reactions: pdxa4

IllinoisCorn

Suspended
Jan 15, 2021
Referring to the star tracker? If so, it’s the Skywatcher Star Adventurer which is a small tripod mountable tracker that is powered by 4 AA batteries. I have the pro pack which has the counter weight to balance my Sony camera gear. Here is a Amazon link to it.

Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer 2i Pro Pack – Motorized Dslr Night Sky Tracker Equatorial Mount for Portable Nightscapes, Time-Lapse and Panoramas – Wi-Fi App Camera Control – Long Exposure Imaging https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NY44782/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_QSX3HMMF4SZK2ZQFVK28
Thanks for opening this thread. This is something I have always been interested in. Appreciate the link as well!!

Reactions: ToddH

jchatwood

macrumors member
May 5, 2015
Vicenza
798F0FE3-E7ED-44C2-8587-F4261E62F133.jpeg

After following this thread this is my first attempt! Forgot to switch on ProRaw so will try again tomorrow night, and somewhere with less light pollution - also used Snapseed to edit! iPhone 13 pro max!

Reactions: brgjoe

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I just got back from vacationing in Vermont and snapped this yesterday evening after I heard about this. Pretty wild stuff. I also took multiple shots and want to see if I can get an even better shot with some astrophotography stacking software to help reduce the noise and improve clarity. For now this is a single shot image from RAW edited in Lightroom Mobile. Didn’t include the ones that had trees at the bottom because the wind was making them kinda blurry.

Also why is this limited to iPhone 13 Pro Max? I took this with the iPhone 13 Pro which has the same camera:

5898FC9E-556D-41F9-9F13-C369083DA700.jpeg

kave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
I just got back from vacationing in Vermont and snapped this yesterday evening after I heard about this. Pretty wild stuff. I also took multiple shots and want to see if I can get an even better shot with some astrophotography stacking software to help reduce the noise and improve clarity. For now this is a single shot image from RAW edited in Lightroom Mobile. Didn’t include the ones that had trees at the bottom because the wind was making them kinda blurry.

Also why is this limited to iPhone 13 Pro Max? I took this with the iPhone 13 Pro which has the same camera:

View attachment 1861312
It is not limited to 13 Pro Max at all. It is exactly the same features with 13 pro. Even iPhone 12 Pro had nightmode as well.

dcdandan

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2015
I mean it’s great photos but then again
Thanks more to post production which
I’m sure even iPhone X or even iPhone 1 can product good results with editing , right spot ..etc
And you can find videos on YouTube that with professing and without zoom in. iPhone 1 can have amazing photos that u can’t tell

not saying it ain’t good but I rather see unedited photos

ediks

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2015

awesome what this device can do, its a shame that were only limited to 30s opposed to google pixels 4minutes

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England

awesome what this device can do, its a shame that were only limited to 30s opposed to google pixels 4minutes
I suspect that one of the next iPhones will see some improvements on this. Just sadly got to wait.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Unless you have your phone on a tracking mount, you'd get pretty significant star trails on a 4 minute exposure.
Yes… the pixel takes four 15” exposures and combines them. It doesn’t take a single 4 minute exposure. The iPhone 13 pro/ max takes three 10” exposures

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
Great post Todd! Wish I had joined up with you for your now famous shot. But, glad you inspired me to step outside and get some shots that same night, and then again this past weekend.

Standard tripod with cellphone mount. Not near as dark of sky from my location, but I am pleased with the Milky Way showing up, and the overall performance of the iPhone 13 Pro. Glad I upgraded from the 11 Pro just for the improved night capabilities. The images need some PP...as posted, straight off the phone.

IMG_3437.jpg

IMG_3546.jpg

Last edited:

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Great post Todd! Wish I had joined up with you for your now famous shot. But, glad you inspired me to step outside and get some shots that same night, and then again this past weekend.

Standard tripod with cellphone mount. Not near as dark of sky from my location, but I am pleased with the Milky Way showing up, and the overall performance of the iPhone 13 Pro. Glad I upgraded from the 11 Pro just for the improved night capabilities. The images need some PP...as posted, straight off the phone.

View attachment 1863507
View attachment 1863508
You’ll have to come next time!!! The Milky Way looks cool over your house

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Thanks!!! It sure is fun and I’m so glad I can get this on my iPhone. I could use my Sony, but the iPhone is a good challenge
I was at the Jersey shore back in July, perfect chance to grab Milky Way shots with my Canon. Nope, wrong...it was cloudy, then heavy fog overnight. Eh.

Just wish I can see the darn Milky Way here without traveling 40-50 miles from this city! I would love to try this. ? Oh well.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
I was at the Jersey shore back in July, perfect chance to grab Milky Way shots with my Canon. Nope, wrong...it was cloudy, then heavy fog overnight. Eh.

Just wish I can see the darn Milky Way here without traveling 40-50 miles from this city! I would love to try this. ? Oh well.
I lived in Austin Texas for 18 years, then moved back to the south east Texas area to be with family… I have to drive that far to get a dark sky.. The Austin area was so much better. Big Bend national park…. WOW, best place ever for dark skies. Long drive through.

Reactions: PhillyGuy72
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.