Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pszro

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2022
Nice. Is it 14 PM? I would like to see difference between 13PM and 14PM from ToddH.

I think you can use another camera app from Appstore for changing ISO.
No, it is 13 Pro. There is no app where you can adjust ISO, long exposure time (16s or 30s) and save it later to ProRAW.
Night Mode in 13 and 14 is almost the same.

pszro

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2022
What would I have to do to take this kind of picture with an iphone 14 pro max?
Tripod and clear not polluted sky :)

Another one from last week (landscape with foog), one shoot, 30s, ProRAW, tripod, edited in LR Mobile:

IMG_0774-2.jpg

betazed

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2014
Taken with ProRAW

So I drove to a dark site last night and set up my iPhone and Skywatcher Star adventurer to see if tracking the night sky for 30” during a night mode capture would look better. It does…The stars are pinpoint as compared to a tripod only mounted iPhone. You don’t need to track the sky, I did to see the difference. The images are better since the iPhone takes three 10” exposures and combines them therefore the stars are slightly elongated without tracking.

Anyway, here are my results. I used the 1x camera only. I did try the UWA but it wasn’t great. So if any of you have questions, I’ll be here to help.

here is a YouTube video from my Australian that will help you guys with your Milky Way photography

View attachment 1857813
View attachment 1857814
View attachment 1857815
View attachment 1857816
View attachment 1857817
Enjoy… I used Lightroom mobile on my iPhone to edit these. I have made some presets to make the edits easier and faster.
What do you mean when you say “The images are better since the iPhone takes three 10” exposures and combines them therefore the stars are slightly elongated without tracking.” ?? When you use a number followed by the quote mark such as 10” or 30”?

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
What do you mean when you say “The images are better since the iPhone takes three 10” exposures and combines them therefore the stars are slightly elongated without tracking.” ?? When you use a number followed by the quote mark such as 10” or 30”?
10" = 10 second (exposure)
30" = 30 second exposure.

Length of time the lens / shutter is open to capture as much light as possible. More time lens is open, it can grab distant stars we may not see with our naked eye, the milky way will become more vivid in the photo.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
The iPhone 13 Pro and lower took a max of 3 to 5 second shots over a 30 second period and stacked them. The 14 pro / max will take a 10 second shot three times over a 30 second period and combine them. More details can be captured in 10 seconds than with a 5 second exposure.

Here are the 14 pro max Milky Way shots for comparison. The iPhone 14 pro is much better.

Reactions: pdxa4
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.