Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
You said spending cuts, not sure how that could be called anything less than massive spending. Even the CBO said it's going to cost nearly $2 Trillion just the first decade alone, and if I had to guess I'd say they are probably about $2 Trillion off.

If the cost to the government in that same time frame under prior policy was going to cost 10 trillion or whatever, then Obamacare still costs less, right? You're cherry picking your data. Go read the actual independent analysis, and you will find Obamacare will save money. It's a fact regardless of how your partisan widdle mind wishes it weren't.

Cite

dscuber9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Indiana, US
You said spending cuts, not sure how that could be called anything less than massive spending. Even the CBO said it's going to cost nearly $2 Trillion just the first decade alone, and if I had to guess I'd say they are probably about $2 Trillion off.

The $1.7 trillion estimate doesn't include money saved from spending cuts, revenue from new taxes on the wealthy, penalties paid by individuals and workers who decide not to buy insurance, and other cost-saving measures included in the law.

Source

So, in other words, not really anywhere near $2 trillion.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
As shocking as this may be, I agree with you... with 2 caveats.

1) Saying that you're planning to spend a smaller increase in spending than you were originally planning is not a spending cut (a favorite political tactic)

This is a good point. And, politicians often confuse the national debt with federal spending.

...2) Can we stop demonizing people who are successful? Yes, I don't think it's a terrible thing if multi-millionaires pay a little more in taxes, but let's stop considering a family with a $250,000 income as the mega-rich.

That a family making $250,000 is considered in roughly the same tax bracket as a CEO who rakes in $23 million is absurd. The tax bracket at the top needs to be carved up into smaller pieces, say $250,000 to $1 million, $1 million - $20 million, etc. with increases that could reach as high as 90 percent at the very top.

----------

Source

So, in other words, not really anywhere near $2 trillion.

Also, of note, that story is an opinion piece by a Weekly Standard writer and is not reporting from NPR directly.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
:eek: Wait what? Are you suggesting that government spending creates jobs?

Every government job out there is a job created by the government. Some are more wasteful than others, you'd have to be a total moron to not see that.

The military is a power of the federal government, as is the post office (more government jobs).

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Every government job out there is a job created by the government. Some are more wasteful than others, you'd have to be a total moron to not see that.

The military is a power of the federal government, as is the post office (more government jobs).

Feel free to review my post history; you will find me arguing against people on the right who somehow forget that government spending creates jobs. In 99% of those situations, it is a person defending the Republicans and their crazy loony ideas that I'm arguing against.

You like to rail against government programs, and yet, you like the most wasteful programs there are? :confused:

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
So did anyone get their push notification before it hit the wires?

Surprising move IMO given congress' dismal approval ratings.

It's called a Hail Mary pass when things aren't going so good. We'll see if it turns out any better then the last time a Republican candidate for President threw one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.