Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Being the owner of a professional sports franchise is a great grift, if one can manage to join that exclusive club.
To add insult to injury, with the A's, the local city and county governments co-owned the land under their existing stadium. But, in a stunningly dumb move, the county sold its interest to the team's owner, without securing any sort of requirement that it would stay, so he not only gets to skip town, but still owns the land.
Now, one has skipped town for Vegas, and the other is going to as well, and local taxpayers in both areas will be on the hook.
It's almost as if you said the quiet part out loud... and still nobody listened...

• Haha
Reactions: Don Quixote

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
Don't forget the Dub's. They bailed for SF.

City still own the Arena?

GS also bailed, but I think their new place is privately financed. So was the Giants' ballpark.

A's owner bought the county's share of the facility, so yes, he is in bed with the city.

In other news, Manfred isn't going to slink off until '29. MLB hasn't had a good commissioner since Fay Vincent, and they got rid of him because he had some backbone. Five years to figure out who the owners' new lackey will be.

Don Quixote

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2023
GS also bailed, but I think their new place is privately financed. So was the Giants' ballpark.

A's owner bought the county's share of the facility, so yes, he is in bed with the city.

In other news, Manfred isn't going to slink off until '29. MLB hasn't had a good commissioner since Fay Vincent, and they got rid of him because he had some backbone. Five years to figure out who the owners' new lackey will be.
Side note: Dubs = GS ;)

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Bonds did in 2002

Per google:

Due to the steroid use, Bonds was never inducted into the Hall of Fame, but was still one of the greatest in the game in his 22 seasons in the league. Despite all his accomplishments, he never won the World Series.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Per google:

Due to the steroid use, Bonds was never inducted into the Hall of Fame, but was still one of the greatest in the game in his 22 seasons in the league. Despite all his accomplishments, he never won the World Series.
They didn't say "won"
Everybody: name your candidates (any generation)

1950's to 1970's - Ernie Banks, who didn't even see a World Series
"See..." as in "get to play in..."

He played in the 2002 WS.

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
Will Mike Trout end up as the most talented player of his generation not to win a World Series?
iu

jeremz1ne

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2023
Reno,Nv
Trout is to loyal to the Angels... dunno why he did make a statement today saying we need to make trades and get players or he doesn't know if he can stay with them much longer

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
They didn't say "won"

"See..." as in "get to play in..."

He played in the 2002 WS.

Yeah, but its implied. Going to a World Series is like going to four Super Bowls in a row (ahem Bills). If you don't win, who cares.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm seeing reports/news stories that the Oakland As may not be moving to Las Vegas. They need to find a new home, since there is no stadium in LV yet. From what little I know, it seems TV money is part of the problem, not playing in a MLB stadium means the As may not get the cash from the TV deals. I don't know the details but I think the owner painted himself into a corner.

I guess they (the As) started negotiating a new lease but the city is playing hard ball - good for them

jeremz1ne

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2023
Reno,Nv
I'm seeing reports/news stories that the Oakland As may not be moving to Las Vegas. They need to find a new home, since there is no stadium in LV yet. From what little I know, it seems TV money is part of the problem, not playing in a MLB stadium means the As may not get the cash from the TV deals. I don't know the details but I think the owner painted himself into a corner.

I guess they (the As) started negotiating a new lease but the city is playing hard ball - good for them
Yeah saw they may play in Sacramento, also heard from people in Reno they might take over our MILB's place until Vegas is ready, but they are closing that place down in Vegas in April i believe and will start soon after.. wont be ready till 2028 though

Reactions: Don Quixote
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.