Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
They'll spend the $ because the Tax payers of Nevada ( Including myself ) will pay 90% of it
I have to ask...

Is the consensus in Vegas one of the following:
  • Sure, using public tax money for a private stadium is fine
  • Why should my tax dollars be spent on something a Billionaire can build himself?
I'm not familiar with how the Golden Knights arena was built (private/public funds) so if people are cool with building the A's another stadium, then fine. But I'm genuinely curious to know if there is/will be push back to using tax dollars for a privately owned sports stadium that the people dont get to be share holders of.

jeremz1ne

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2023
Reno,Nv
D'oh, You're right. I forgot that the owner isn't about to spend any of his billions for his team
Weird how that works right out for people, Guys a billionaire but doesn't wanna put his money into it but wants other people to pay but then gets the $ for it in his pockets from ticket sales etc

• Sad
Reactions: pachyderm

jeremz1ne

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2023
Reno,Nv
I have to ask...

• Why should my tax dollars be spent on something a Billionaire can build himself?
I'm not familiar with how the Golden Knights arena was built (private/public funds) so if people are cool with building the A's another stadium, then fine. But I'm genuinely curious to know if there is/will be push back to using tax dollars for a privately owned sports stadium that the people dont get to be share holders of.
im not in Vegas im in Reno, Closer to the Sacramento California, im not sure how Golden Knights for it, pretty sure the UFC helped split that bill or something... but instead of using our tax dollars to better schools in Nevada we just spend it on stadiums, if you look at our state schools we rank pretty much last in the US, but thats fine as long as a billionaire gets his 1.5 billion dollar stadium its okay

• Sad
Reactions: pachyderm

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
I have to ask...

This decision, and I dare say many of them, aren't made by voters, but by elected officials.

It wasn't put up for a vote by the public, but by the NV legislature. That sausage is made in private, and the public has to eat it, even if many of them didn't order it.

When it is put up for public vote, it's a much riskier proposition for team owners.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Anyone attend any spring training games in the Cactus league?

Wondering which complex is the best?

Went to the Christmas lights show at the Diamondbacks/Rockies complex and it was nice, but I don't know anything about any other complexes.

Reactions: jeremz1ne

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
im not in Vegas im in Reno, Closer to the Sacramento California, im not sure how Golden Knights for it, pretty sure the UFC helped split that bill or something... but instead of using our tax dollars to better schools in Nevada we just spend it on stadiums, if you look at our state schools we rank pretty much last in the US, but thats fine as long as a billionaire gets his 1.5 billion dollar stadium its okay

Vegas is one of the last major cities to get sports teams - football, hockey, baseball. Basketball is on the horizon. So Vegas is getting a lot of new stadium love these last ten years. On the bright side, it will be about 30 more years before you'll see Vegas go through all this building again.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Vegas is one of the last major cities to get sports teams - football, hockey, baseball. Basketball is on the horizon. So Vegas is getting a lot of new stadium love these last ten years. On the bright side, it will be about 30 more years before you'll see Vegas go through all this building again.
Literally the last U.S. city that needs any pro teams... incoming "the mob isn't involved, they don't fix games, etc etc" posts in 3, 2, 1 ...

Reactions: Rafterman

jeremz1ne

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2023
Reno,Nv

Went to the Christmas lights show at the Diamondbacks/Rockies complex and it was nice, but I don't know anything about any other complexes.
i went to the Angels Complex few years ago it was nice.. i also went to the Diamondbacks as well

Reactions: Herdfan

jeremz1ne

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2023
Reno,Nv
thats true but half those places wont even be paid off yet before they need to "Upgrade"

Reactions: Rafterman

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California

I have been to the Dodgers, A's and Padres complexes. Liked the Dodger one the best overall, but if you want seating in a very large outfield, the Padres field is cool in that aspect.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
I have been to the Dodgers, A's and Padres complexes. Liked the Dodger one the best overall, but if you want seating in a very large outfield, the Padres field is cool in that aspect.

Leaning toward the Dodgers as I would like to see Ohtani, but the offspring lives in LA and I promised to take her to a Dodgers game. So then I would see him when it counts.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Leaning toward the Dodgers as I would like to see Ohtani, but the offspring lives in LA and I promised to take her to a Dodgers game. So then I would see him when it counts.

I can't confirm, but I heard the ticket prices have gone up considerable... so keep that in mind. I don't know if you have ever been to spring training, but each team usually fields more than one unit so you have to watch which unit is playing. But you can get up and close more often in spring training than at a stadium. At least I think so. We are not going this year, but you can get some good pictures and if you are into autographs... We love going.

Reactions: jeremz1ne

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
I don't know if you have ever been to spring training,

My college GF's mom and stepdad lived in Vero Beach, FL. So for 2 spring breaks we drove down to see them and I spent quite a bit of time at the old Dodgertown. Of course this was the late 80's and you really had close access to the players.

Haven't been since.

jeremz1ne

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2023
Reno,Nv
Seen it tons of times when i used to drive to Oakland everytime they played the Angels, i also got Trout to sign his Minor League Jersey few years ago when he played for the Bee's its in a box somewhere i should really frame it lol! anyways any of you guys watch Hockey at all?

Reactions: Herdfan

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
So Joey Votto isn't with the Reds anymore? What happened there?

Ah injuries and a down year led to the Reds to opting out...

Heard he may get a chance with the Blue Jays ...

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
I think this will die down without any action my nike, the MLB or Fanatics, money talks and MLB is getting a lot of money, they'll just continue to ignore the issue

Controversy arose surrounding the new pants designed for the uniforms, after they appeared to be see-through. The issue was brought to further attention after a photo of San Francisco Giants infielder Casey Schmitt modeling the uniform went viral due to the revealing nature of the tight pants.

Well, they have always been trying to appeal to the female audience/attendee... This is one way to get them to watch/attend the games!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.