Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Its been said before by many, and I will say it too. Baseball needs to get their salaries in check.
But is it any worse then Football and basketball, where both of those have salary caps? I'm not disagreeing with you, and I have a hard time being sympathetic to an athlete when he turns he calls a multimillion dollar contract as insulting.

Reactions: Don Quixote

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
But is it any worse then Football and basketball, where both of those have salary caps? I'm not disagreeing with you, and I have a hard time being sympathetic to an athlete when he turns he calls a multimillion dollar contract as insulting.

I would love to see a salary cap in baseball, though it won't happen. The Dodgers spent a billion dollars. Its too easy to buy your team in baseball, the same teams always at the top of the standings. Its a miracle Baltimore had success.

Last edited:
Reactions: pachyderm

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
I would love to see a salary cap in baseball, though it won't happen. The Dodgers spent a billion dollars. Its too easy to buy your team in baseball, the same teams always at the top of the standings. Its a miracle Baltimore had success.
If the Dodgers DONT go to the World Series this year, that statement and theory gets blown out of the water. Same could be said for the Orioles, the Rockies or A's. If any of them do end up in the post season or World Series, then the theory of buying a championship holds zero water at that point.

Of course, my statement ignores all statistics and probabilities laid out in reality but still...

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
If the Dodgers DONT go to the World Series this year, that statement and theory gets blown out of the water. Same could be said for the Orioles, the Rockies or A's. If any of them do end up in the post season or World Series, then the theory of buying a championship holds zero water at that point.

Of course, my statement ignores all statistics and probabilities laid out in reality but still...

LA/SD have opened the season in South Korea... splitting a 2 game series thus far.

Gotta wonder if Ohtani is going to get into any trouble with all the hubbub around him... as of right now I'm glad, again, that we didn't sign hm.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
LA/SD have opened the season in South Korea... splitting a 2 game series thus far.

Gotta wonder if Ohtani is going to get into any trouble with all the hubbub around him... as of right now I'm glad, again, that we didn't sign hm.

It seems kind of unfair that LA and SD had to start the season two weeks earlier than everyone else, and now they're back at spring training, playing games. How does that even work? What rosters are they using, minor leaguers for the spring games? Messed up.

Reactions: pachyderm

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
It seems kind of unfair that LA and SD had to start the season two weeks earlier than everyone else, and now they're back at spring training, playing games. How does that even work? What rosters are they using, minor leaguers for the spring games? Messed up.
Agreed and it couldn't have happened to two better teams... unless you switched out the Padres for the Yankees... :p

Reactions: Rafterman

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It seems kind of unfair that LA and SD had to start the season two weeks earlier than everyone else,
I think they've been doing that the past couple of years but I agree. Its weird to "open" the season with a signature game like that and still have spring training going on

jeremz1ne

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2023
Reno,Nv
It's stupid to do the opening games 2 weeks early during everyone elses spring training.. LA plays the Angels this week but yet Dodgers already have played 4 normal games

Reactions: Rafterman

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Raise your hand if you're glad your team didn't sign Ohtani now...

:p

I seriously doubt Ohtani will get in trouble or that he would be involved in this. The only question I would ask is, why would his interpreter have access to his accounts? That would make him more than just an interpreter, like a business manager.

Reactions: jeremz1ne

jeremz1ne

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2023
Reno,Nv
MLB wont do nothing to Ohtani, dudes the face of baseball. they'll make him do statements and then find nothing and blame interpreter like " I Didn't know anything" " I didn't know he was taken money outta my account"

• Wow

Don Quixote

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2023
MLB wont do nothing to Ohtani, dudes the face of baseball. they'll make him do statements and then find nothing and blame interpreter like " I Didn't know anything" " I didn't know he was taken money outta my account"
Probably but I hope you're wrong...

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
What I find strange has been the Red Sox approach to signing free agents? They basically seem to have decided not to sign any. I mean, considering they managed 4 World Series in 20 years in a very competitive era with a lot of free agent talent you have to wonder at this shift.

They have a good class of talent coming through the minors, but the rotation this year consists of Bello, Pivetta, Crawford, Houck and Whitlock. None of the last three has yet done a full year as an MLB starter, and only Pivetta is an acknowledged pitcher, the rest are young guns. And having traded Chris Sale they are lacking an ace.

Don Quixote

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2023
What I find strange has been the Red Sox approach to signing free agents? They basically seem to have decided not to sign any. I mean, considering they managed 4 World Series in 20 years in a very competitive era with a lot of free agent talent you have to wonder at this shift.

They have a good class of talent coming through the minors, but the rotation this year consists of Bello, Pivetta, Crawford, Houck and Whitlock. None of the last three has yet done a full year as an MLB starter, and only Pivetta is an acknowledged pitcher, the rest are young guns. And having traded Chris Sale they are lacking an ace.
Maybe they decided to slow down spending for a decade or so?

Don Quixote

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2023
I was glad we didn't throw the bank at Ohtani and I'm ecstatic that this is a bodger problem, couldn't happen to a better franchise.

:):p:cool:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I was glad we didn't throw the bank at Ohtani and I'm ecstatic that this is a bodger problem, couldn't happen to a better franchise.

:):p:cool:
Is a non-issue, MLB will make sure of that. Ohtani is the golden child of MLB and they will sweep any unsavory evidence under the rug

Reactions: jeremz1ne

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
Not saying there's any personal impropriety on Ohtani's part, but the whole situation still smells kind of fishy, and it's not bad 🍣 that's responsible.

The murkiness and obfuscation is hard to ignore. With perhaps a dash of naiveté.

Or course, can't dismiss the possibility of cultural differences, particularly concerning uncomfortable, or taboo subjects, but he's no spring chicken, and been playing in an American league for years, and can't disregard how it operates.

The picture painted by even the hometown paper isn't flattering.

But it's a personal matter, and if/when the Dodgers fall short…again ;)…somebody will still try to connect the two dots.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.