Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
I always figured it would be Snell to the Giants, and the feeling only got stronger as time went on. If Alex Cobb and Robbie Ray come back strong when healthy, that's a really good starting rotation.

I wasn't a huge fan of Chapman or Soler as players, but the Giants got good value for them.

On the other hand, the way they handled Brandon Crawford and JD Davis, though technically valid and justifiable moves, left a bad aftertaste. Even more tone-deaf was their sudden and cold-blooded split with longtime stadium announcer Renel Brooks-Moon, which is going to generate some genuine bad will amongst the fanbase.

Reactions: Don Quixote

Don Quixote

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2023
I always figured it would be Snell to the Giants, and the feeling only got stronger as time went on. If Alex Cobb and Robbie Ray come back strong when healthy, that's a really good starting rotation.

I wasn't a huge fan of Chapman or Soler as players, but the Giants got good value for them.

On the other hand, the way they handled Brandon Crawford and JD Davis, though technically valid and justifiable moves, left a bad aftertaste. Even more tone-deaf was their sudden and cold-blooded split with longtime stadium announcer Renel Brooks-Moon, which is going to generate some genuine bad will amongst the fanbase.
Any idea on why they let her go?

Never mind, ..." the Giants announced that they were "mutually and amicably" parting ways with Brooks-Moon, citing difficulties in negotiations regarding a contract extension... "

Reactions: jeremz1ne

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010

File this under WHAT?!?!? TF?!???

Yeah, first they said Ohtani was doing him a solid by paying off his gambling debt, now it's "theft."

• Wow

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
Yeah, first they said Ohtani was doing him a solid by paying off his gambling debt, now it's "theft."
Yeah his lawyers are calling it "theft" because they know this will be a PR nightmare but I'm sure they also see a massive payday for themselves. If his interpreter has that big of a gambling problem, Ohtani was a fool to pay off that debt, especially knowing how much **** he could be in. Whether or not anything happens to Ohtani remains to be seen but this is not the start the Dodgers needed this year lol.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
because they know this will be a PR nightmare
It seems both MLB and ESPN treats Ohtani with such reverential deference that nothing will come of this. I'm not saying that Ohtani was gambling, but rather MLB will do a cursory look and then say nothing to see here. If the same thing happended to Curt Schilling, you can bet they'd be doing body cavity searches.

Again, I'm not down on Ohtani, he's a fantastic player but both ESPN and MLB play favorites.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
It seems both MLB and ESPN treats Ohtani with such reverential deference that nothing will come of this. I'm not saying that Ohtani was gambling, but rather MLB will do a cursory look and then say nothing to see here. If the same thing happended to Curt Schilling, you can bet they'd be doing body cavity searches.

Again, I'm not down on Ohtani, he's a fantastic player but both ESPN and MLB play favorites.

I doubt Ohtani was involved. This is part of a federal investigation and I doubt his interpreter was willing to take the blame and go down with federal charges, just to save his boss/friend, if it was Ohtani's debt.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I doubt Ohtani was involved. This is part of a federal investigation and I doubt his interpreter was willing to take the blame and go down with federal charges, just to save his boss/friend, if it was Ohtani's debt.
I don't think he was, but he's currently the golden child of baseball so MLB will want to make this go away rather quickly

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
This story was written about the palace coup from the union side, but to give the complete picture, there should be one from the owners' side, maybe including the "C" word.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Speaking of Boras, 2024 hasn't been a great year for his clients, nor was 2023 if memory serves me. Snell could have signed for 150 million back in January, getting 25 million a year for 6 years, now he's only getting 15 million this season, 30 million if he stays with the giants next season and the remainder as a signing bonus payable in 2026.

Blake Snell saga ends in San Francisco and is a calculated risk for all involved
The Yankees reportedly offered Snell a six-year, $150 million contract back in January, which he declined. The Astros were reportedly in "serious pursuit" of Snell as recently as this past weekend, but seemingly unwilling to give him the annual salary he was seeking

• Haha

Don Quixote

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2023
Speaking of Boras, 2024 hasn't been a great year for his clients, nor was 2023 if memory serves me. Snell could have signed for 150 million back in January, getting 25 million a year for 6 years, now he's only getting 15 million this season, 30 million if he stays with the giants next season and the remainder as a signing bonus payable in 2026.

Blake Snell saga ends in San Francisco and is a calculated risk for all involved
Dang, I'll have to read that at home I guess.

Wonder what Snell's thought process was for choosing the Giants... beside the money... which he seems to have taken less of...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That is crazy... I'll take a 2 time Cy Young winner... thanks!
No question, but I'm guessing most teams have spent their budgets, and have their rotations set. The Astros wanted to sign him at one point but felt the asking price at that time was too high. I don't know what changed, but I think Boras was getting desperate as Snell was in danger to missing opening day.

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
No question, but I'm guessing most teams have spent their budgets, and have their rotations set. The Astros wanted to sign him at one point but felt the asking price at that time was too high. I don't know what changed, but I think Boras was getting desperate as Snell was in danger to missing opening day.
Snell WILL miss opening day...

• Wow

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
Because he missed so much time in Spring training?

Sorry, work won't let me open the link.
Screenshot 2024-03-22 at 7.12.39 AM.png

Reactions: Gregg2

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010

Its been said before by many, and I will say it too. Baseball needs to get their salaries in check.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.