Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superstrikertwo

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2008
California
The MC 3.1 update is finally out.

No longer crashes MSN and Yahoo still not connecting.
Icon has been changed from blue to red.
App is more responsive than previous version.
Buddies appear to update correctly now.

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
The MC 3.1 update is finally out.

LIES! On the app store page I thought it said 3.0.1 ;).

1: I HATE the logo color change. it looked nice having a different color, but similar icon next to Last.FM. Now they both just look bland.
2: Well surprise surprise, it still doesn't connect.
3: Hey! My buddy list is finally clear, I guess they fixed one thing :p.

superstrikertwo

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2008
California
LIES! On the app store page I thought it said 3.0.1 ;).

1: I HATE the logo color change. it looked nice having a different color, but similar icon next to Last.FM. Now they both just look bland.
2: Well surprise surprise, it still doesn't connect.
3: Hey! My buddy list is finally clear, I guess they fixed one thing :p.

Right click it when you've downloaded it to iTunes it says 3.1.

I don't like the new logo either.
What messenger are you trying to connect to? MSN and Yahoo aren't working for me AIM is the only one I use that works. Not sure about the others.
Woot!

ThanatosId

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
I think that in my mind I had glorified MobileChat because it had received so much press. Even while waiting, a ridiculous amount of time, for them to get it right I assumed 3.1 would be heaven sent. I have to say, now that I abandoned ship and jumped on Beejive, that the UI and overall functionality of this app (3.1) is just very pedestrian compared to Beejive. The price ration is about 5:1 (15.99/2.99), but the quality ratio is about 100:1.

kevin512

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

LOL. 3.1 update is out, and suprise, suprise the app still doesn't work. Jabber doesn't connect at all. Blog post states the servers are being updated for 3.1 and that is when the true improvements wil occur. I call bull***. Beejive is far superior.

JamboUK

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

LOL. 3.1 update is out, and suprise, suprise the app still doesn't work. Jabber doesn't connect at all. Blog post states the servers are being updated for 3.1 and that is when the true improvements wil occur. I call bull***. Beejive is far superior.

I can post something postive about them....amongst all the negative..... they were very good when it came to a refund! :)

Randman

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Jacksonville, Fla
I can post something postive about them....amongst all the negative..... they were very good when it came to a refund! :)

Meh. Had to jump through a number of hoops and smarmy emails before finally going through Apple itself and getting my money back in a day or so.

razorianfly

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom
As far as Mobile Chat is concerned, I don't even care if they eventually get it working, it's dead.
They've completely killed the trust in their user base. They had their chance, the first 'true' IM for iPhone, and blew it.

Shame, Beejive just took the title.

R-Fly

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
All that drama from the mobilechat idiots in regards to their update? i was expecting a beefy list of changes but as soon as i read the new version description which was basically "bug fixes" i nearly pissed my pants from laughing so hard. those morons took like 6 weeks to get bug fixes up on the app store? seriously now, that's all the did in the past 6 weeks? and they didn't even fix the app. it still doesn't work.

what a bunch of douche bags

xsecretfiles

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2008
same

haha I also saw an update this morning and I was like ??? finally??
so I head to their blog site and it says along the lines "update is out now, but it should be backwards compatible with our servers, in the meantime we are changing servers"

I'm like...another excuse???

ijohnw

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2008
Eastern NC
mobile chat still doesn't work for me either...what a mess...

I guess the easiest thing that has been with mobile chat was to get the refund..

Beejive is def the best! they have def won the IM war on the iphone!

kevin512

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2008

They closed down comments on there last blog post pretty quickly. LOL.

Update: They just added a bitchy update to there last post.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
I'm like...another excuse???

And they'll keep on coming, as the app continues to not work.

As razorianfly said above, it doesn't really matter if it DOES somehow work some day, as they've completely destroyed any trust most people had. Though I'm STILL shocked to see a few clueless people who still seem to be loyal to them. God knows why. I'm not sure how they can ignore the gazillion examples already of why these guys (and their crappy software) shouldn't be trusted...

okrelayer

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2008
i think that when mobilechat was in the hacked market they were able to handle the amount of traffic on their servers/ and write a very decent program. But being in the app store brought them so many new customers that they were unable to handle it. Which is when beejive a very extablished company takes the ball and runs.

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
And they'll keep on coming, as the app continues to not work.

As razorianfly said above, it doesn't really matter if it DOES somehow work some day, as they've completely destroyed any trust most people had. Though I'm STILL shocked to see a few clueless people who still seem to be loyal to them. God knows why. I'm not sure how they can ignore the gazillion examples already of why these guys (and their crappy software) shouldn't be trusted...

amazes me as well, those fan boys might just be family and friends though. but what amazes me more is that apple continues to allow them to now KNOWINGLY scam people out of money. let's face it, it really is a scam now.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
i think that when mobilechat was in the hacked market they were able to handle the amount of traffic on their servers/ and write a very decent program. But being in the app store brought them so many new customers that they were unable to handle it. Which is when beejive a very extablished company takes the ball and runs.

Did they have servers back then though? Didn't they use libpurple on the iPhone itself to log straight into the IM services?

markgamber

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2005
Redneck, PA
amazes me as well, those fan boys might just be family and friends though. but what amazes me more is that apple continues to allow them to now KNOWINGLY scam people out of money. let's face it, it really is a scam now.

I emailed app store support, supplied the invoice number and got my money back. I mentioned that I purchased it six weeks ago, it never once worked for me in that time, lots of people are complaining about it and since it still remains in the app store, I considered it an Apple sanctioned scam. They didn't exactly thank me for my comment, but I did get my money back without a problem. Funny how Apple can't find some lame excuse to yank this turd off the market like they can for apps that actually work.

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
I just got my refund yesterday, and I already have Beejive, but its nice to see one of their updates FINALLY got thru. Way too little way too late though.

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey
I just got my refund yesterday, and I already have Beejive, but its nice to see one of their updates FINALLY got thru. Way too little way too late though.

Same with me.. I guess if we got our refunds last week it might have come out sooner! :D

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
I pretty much bought BeeJive yesterday...I'm not sure whether I'm upset that MobileChat came out today...I mean, BeeJive is worth $16...but I like the look of MobileChat and it was only $3.

EDIT: nvm, stuck at signing in...I guess since I rely on chat too much, I can't take the risk with MobileChat.

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
The latest post from the mobilechat devs over at their blog:

"Also, comments are being heavily moderated now. Any derogatory comments towards the developers or any community member will be deleted, no questions asked. It’s one thing to post constructive criticism regarding the product; but it’s another to post aimless comments designed to frustrate and annoy the people who visit this blog. This is not an open forum and if you would like to discuss MobileChat without limitation, I recommend starting a thread at MacRumors."

Is it derogatory to call them con men for selling a non working product?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.