Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Is there a terminal command to get on the beta chain once the final version is installed?

owen.meredith

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2015
I installed Beta 11 thinking it would be stable enough, and all I got was a severe bug that keep logging me out the second i reached the desktop - i'm now fully hesitant on installing the final honestly. For some reason time machine wouldn't allow me to fully restore either, so i had to do a fresh install and manually copy everything back over. Kinda don't want to do that again o_O

Chris The Bipolarbear

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Волгоград
I installed Beta 11 thinking it would be stable enough, and all I got was a severe bug that keep logging me out the second i reached the desktop - i'm now fully hesitant on installing the final honestly. For some reason time machine wouldn't allow me to fully restore either, so i had to do a fresh install and manually copy everything back over. Kinda don't want to do that again o_O
You could create a new partition and install Mojave in that partition and just use it to see how it is. “Won’t work if you have installed windows as a boot camp partition”

Reactions: owen.meredith

Chris The Bipolarbear

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Волгоград
I have previously installed windows through boot camp, but i've also removed it recently :eek:
As long as you only have one partition at the moment then use disk utilities to create a new partition name it something like Macintosh HD2 dowload the instaler. ( not update) run the installation and when it asks you for where to install select the new partition. Once it’s installed when you here the startup chime hold option key and select the partition you want to boot from.

Chris The Bipolarbear

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Волгоград
found it in App Store but not on developer site. Remember anyone on beta programs to remove option to receive betas if they don't want all the ".1-" betas.
[doublepost=1537809367][/doublepost]macOS 10.14.1 beta 1 tomorrow?

PhyrePhox

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Start up from macOS Recovery
macOS Recovery installs different versions of macOS depending on the key combination you use while starting up. Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately hold down one of these combinations:
Command (⌘)-R
Install the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac, without upgrading to a later version.*
Option-Command-R
Upgrade to the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac.**
Shift-Option-Command-R
Requires macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later Install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the version closest to it that is still available.
* If you're selling or giving away a Mac that is using OS X El Capitan or earlier, use Command-R to make sure that the installation isn't associated with your Apple ID.
** If you haven't already updated to macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later, Option-Command-R installs the macOS that came with your Mac, or the version closest to it that is still available.

I didn't even know about this!!! You can clean install Mojave directly with Option-Cmd-R if you have 10.12.4 or later!
A follow up: this works now. I installed Mojave on a 2012 MacBook Pro with an blank SSD using CMD-Option-R.

Reactions: lec0rsaire

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
A follow up: this works now. I installed Mojave on a 2012 MacBook Pro with an blank SSD using CMD-Option-R.

Hey what make/model of SSD are you using? I've heard of lots of people having serious issues installing Mojave with aftermarket drives from OWC and Crucial but it seems to be like some people are just unlucky.

PhyrePhox

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hey what make/model of SSD are you using? I've heard of lots of people having serious issues installing Mojave with aftermarket drives from OWC and Crucial but it seems to be like some people are just unlucky.
I literally got the cheapest 1TB drive I could find, an AData SU800. This replaced a Samsung 850 Evo 500GB. I wanted to do a clean install because I had been upgrading for a long time (and a couple device changes where I just swapped in the drive and went on) so there was a lot of cruft and instability under High Sierra, plus I needed more room. I haven't had any trouble so far. I did use APFS but I didn't use encryption.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.