Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
What happened was i allowed high sierra to go over Mojave accidentally
while updating several iPad software option.

what a fool i used to be, last week!

d4rkn1ght

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2006
Vivaldi just ended support for Mojave.

Screen Shot 2023-10-11 at 7.49.08 PM.png

• Sad
Reactions: Chuckeee

dudax

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2023
Germany
Reactions: MBAir2010

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Vivaldi just ended support for Mojave.

View attachment 2296783
I got a similar message from Element Messenger a couple of days ago. Version 1.11.47 was fine, but the "minor" update to 1.11.48 broke it. Nothing in the change log, and the auto-updater didn't warn me.

I logged a bug and they added it to the change log, then closed the bug report, saying it was a deliberate change. They did, however, advise how to stop it from checking for updates.

hanhasgotqi

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2023
Hey guys, new user here so forgive me if my question is covered elsewhere. I've been running Mojave on my 2014 MBP for many years now as I like dashboard and a few other apps not available beyond Mojave. I've just noticed that App Store does not work any more on this MBP. It always shows Cannot Connect to App Store. Has this been the case for everybody or is there something wrong with my MBP? I have a 2020 iMac which runs Sonoma and the App Store there is fine, so shouldn't be account related. Thanks in advance.

hanhasgotqi

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2023
Something is wrong on your end. Everything is working on my end with 10.14 and it is also working on 10.11.
Okay. Thanks for the reply. Got to check out what's wrong. My iBook G4 died when the display hinges broke. Amazing to see somebody still rocking an iMac G3. What kind of hard drives or hard drive enclosures are you still using with those Macs? Must be really reliable.

MacHeritage

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2022
British Columbia, Canada
You're welcome.

For the iMac G3 it would be an IDE WD internal HD 120GB that was installed back in 2004 by Simply Computing. I also have the 60GB IDE drive that WD replaced under warranty, still sealed in the box in case I have a major HD failure. The only issue it has is a fuzzy, not razor sharp display that could use a recalibration. Other than that, it works great. I have several FireWire drive enclosure options and of course several LaCie FireWire DVD/CD external drives. The internal CD-RW still works. And it boots Mac OS 9.

If I need any Mac OS 9 or PPC right now, I normally use my, non-originally purchased by me, Titanium 1Ghz PowerBook G4 (I need to add that to my description!).

For all the main data drives that equal the over 100TB, they are all Hitachi/WD drives both external (USB 3 is the main connection) and internal working with the Mac Pro almost exclusively. I also use a OWC 4 drive enclosure but he FireWire causes the computers to crash so I just use the USB 3 or eSata connections.

The Hitachi's are the 3TB & 4TB tanks that were the largest HD's available on the market each, when I purchased them. It pays to do the research to purchase the right drives.

hanhasgotqi

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2023
I remember the drive in my iBook G4 was a Hitachi HDD, rock solid for 8 years. Sounds like USB 3 has been reliable for you. I've heard OWC engineer say they don't trust USB 3. That USB 3 sometimes can cause file corruption on external drives.

MacHeritage

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2022
British Columbia, Canada
So far I don't have much of a choice since OWC's FireWire ports are not working correctly when my other FireWire ones work fine. Causes the whole computer to lock up. It was the last version that had FireWire before they changed it to just USB 3 only.

I have not had any corruption issues because of USB 3 on the OWC, that I am aware of. The WD ones have also not showed any issues that way either.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
I would say the end of that era really came with High Sierra, which was the OS prior to Mojave. It was the last OS to support native subpixel text rendering, and thus the last OS on which text looked great with commonly-available commodity-priced displays ($500 for a 27" 4k). For every OS after that, one needed a Retina monitor (5k for 27") to get pleasingly sharp text. To me, that's a pretty significant breakpoint.

You could reimplement it Mojave using a Terminal command, but it didn't look as good (perhaps because HS was designed to use it, while Mojave was not).

• Love
Reactions: !!! and MacHeritage

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I would say the end of that era really came with High Sierra, which was the OS prior to Mojave. It was the last OS to support native subpixel text rendering, and thus the last OS on which text looked great with commonly-available commodity-priced displays ($500 for a 27" 4k). For every OS after that, one needed a Retina monitor (5k for 27") to get pleasingly sharp text. To me, that's a pretty significant breakpoint.

You could reimplement it Mojave using a Terminal command, but it didn't look as good (perhaps because HS was designed to use it, while Mojave was not).
IMO it was Yosemite through High Sierra that were the worst looking MacOS versions on a non-Retina display. When the full system-wide dark mode came about that actually got it looking better, at least to my eyes.

Reactions: MacHeritage
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.