Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
I’m confused at what you’re saying here.
People usually buy new because 1. They need the power/ features or 2. They want something to have a long potential life span.
If your iMac feels like it’s having troubles, just like an older car, it’s better to replace while it’s still working than to wait until the wheels fall off.
What's confusing here? I was commenting on my behalf: I'm the type that has minimal need in power computing and I have no FOMO and doesn't wish to own the latest to be part of the mainstream. I have been that but it's over now. As you say "People usually buy new because". Let's see. Top you have an iMac M2? If you have one, will you sell or trade it for a new M3, then an M4 then an M5 for the sake of features? You see my point: infinite loop. I didn't say my Mac "feels like it's having troubles" and as for "better to replace while it’s still working than to wait until the wheels fall off", was the best argument in another era. In the new universe that is developing, better keep your old car until the wheels fall off. As I said, my car needs are minimal too as are my iPhone needs. Should I buy a 100,00K F150 to go to Walmart? A near 2,300 iPhone for placing calls and watching some Tik-Tok videos once in a while? See my point? Guess we're not living in he same era. Have fun in this very one.

Reactions: tompaulman

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
I just retired from my late-2012 27” iMac (I was using an external drive since my 2nd HHD died and the power supply was acting up), and I had to finally give Mojave. It was just time to move on 32-bit apps I didn’t want to move on from but still loved.

But it does remind me of 10+ years ago when I got this 27” iMac to replace my then 20” G4 iLamp Mac and had to give up Tiger with classic OS9 support….

And the ten years before that when I finally gave up being able to boot into OS7.1, support for 24-bit app and being able to run off my Apple IIe card to read my old PRODOS 5¼” floppies….

Makes me wonder, what 2033 will hold in store.

davigarma

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2021
Or almost completely extinguished, with almost no light, or very little, and from renewable sources with very high temperatures and cloudy red skies using our old machines. I think that the old Macs will still work in the "new era"

Minghold

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2022
Considering that Apple Mail is not working with OAuth2 in Sierra and High Sierra, Mojave is really becoming an obsolescence frontier. I moved all my Macs from Late 2008 to 2012 to Mojave. Also Mojave seems to be the last macOS to run quite well on HFS+ without too much effort as I am still using original HDDs with installed Mojave as a backups.
The greatest (small) irritation I have with Mojave is that it doesn't seem like anyone yet has been able to get hardware-acceleration and wifi both working on 2009-11 silverback imacs with i-series processors.

Minghold

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2022
Or almost completely extinguished, with almost no light, or very little, and from renewable sources with very high temperatures and cloudy red skies using our old machines. I think that the old Macs will still work in the "new era"
Considering that new T2 Macs are made with soldered-on SSDs that brick the machine after the extended-warranty expires, your old intel Macs might be the only ones still running after the company goes belly-up.

AnnonKneeMoosee

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2017
There is a cute story about the lady who wrote the software for that. She discovered that a particular combination of entries would wipe out the memory. NASA, (being smarter than any woman), told her not to worry about it. The astronauts were too intelligent and well-trained to make such a serious error.

You guessed it! On the way back from one of the missions...oops!

Reactions: dudax

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
I've been reading through this thread. Just thought I would add some thoughts. I've used Apple products since the Apple //e and others that I grew up with in school during the 80's Then got into the Mac in the 90's while I did use a few old macs in the mid to late 80's as well. Included in that experience was also the Apple IIGS. My current mac is a late 2015, 27" iMac. It officially supports Monterey as the last OS, which I have installed internally, and then I put Mojave on an external 1 TB WD blue drive that's 7200 RPM to have 32-bit support. Personally with the exception of Monterey having more IOS geared integrated features, I don't see a big difference between the two as far as macOS.

Snow leopard was my favorite version of Mac OS X, maybe Tiger prior to that. I had considered getting a newer intel iMac, but, this one runs fine, and I don't want to deal with T2 and other security features that I feel at times Apple goes overboard on at times. While I understand they want to make a computer safe to use for those who know nothing about computers, and security, etc. Them helping those who don't know can sometimes cause a bigger unnecessary frustration for those of use who do, and like having the flexibility.

I have the top tier late 2015 iMac before you get into custom configurations. I upgraded it to 32 GB RAM from amazon to save money, and the 2 TB fusion drive still works without issues.

As far as compatible versions of the Apple apps, because I purchased them several years ago, the App store gives me the latest version compatible with the OS I'm running.

Beyond that I'm using Firefox ESR, so that will have support for a while, chrome is just dropping Mojave support with version 17, so I am currently running version 16. If I need newer, I can boot into Monterey, and if I need more than that at some point, Ventura is an option via Open Core legacy.
Ubuntu also runs nicely on this iMac, and they do a really good job out of the box to configure it by default to have the apple keys work, and behave as they would in macOS.

I would just need to buy a USB sound card as Linux doesn't like the built in iMac sound card and can get picky. At least it's a cheap and reliable fix compared to buying a new mac to have something current and not violating Apple's EULA to get an unsupported version to run.

I will keep a copy of Monterey around until it's dropped, for the boot ROM firmware updates apple packages with OS updates at times to make sure I get all the current security and bug fixes for the iMac's firmware. After that, will be the best time to decide what to put on it after the official updates are done.

junoreactor

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2019
mojave-plist.gif

zevrix

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
Well I think that Mojave is the First Truly Disturbing Mac OS.

That's because it introduced AppleEvent Sandboxing.

For the user, it's manifested in those "This.app wants to control That.app..." [Allow/Don't Allow] dialogs. This happens when an app needs to send a script command to another app for the first time. Prior to Mojave, users weren't bothered by this nuisance.

These dialogs only create unnecessary annoyance and users quickly learn to dismiss the alerts as annoying pests right away anyway.

Even bigger problem is that this feature is implemented in a totally barbaric, user-unfriendly way. Good luck finding out what to do if you clicked Don't Allow by mistake. You won't even know you did it anyway - the app will just not perform the expected actions without any warning. Most of regular users will never find out how to address this issue.

The settings for this feature are buried deep down in the Privacy & Security wilderness, where users don't have any way to address the aforementioned case of mistaken dismissal anyway.

For developers, this 'security feature' caused many hours of wasted time trying to implement it. Trying to navigate its bugs, poor implementation, and lack of proper documentation. And, once again, trying to protect the apps from the case of accidental denial of control (described above). Because if the user clicks Don't Allow accidentally, your app is dead - and many users won't ever bother to understand why and how to make it work (the blame for which is purely on Apple).

MacHeritage

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2022
British Columbia, Canada
There's probably more but the next thing that would matter is QuickTime 7. Show me an app that I can extract audio to a file, process it externally, and then add it back in all in about 30 seconds.
Show me an app you can quickly set in/out points and edit to taste as quickly as QuickTime 7. There are countless other uses that are just unparalleled in anything new.
QuickTime 7 Pro! Yes, nothing else comes close it. You can do small and larger edits so fast in QuickTime 7 it is ridiculous. I've used it weekly at least. I know Windows users who think the same as well. They love QuickTime 7 Pro. QuickTime X is always having issues and is clunky if it works at all. Great for playing something but horrible for anything edit wise or exporting (error so many times).

Reactions: Chuckeee

MacHeritage

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2022
British Columbia, Canada
Considering that Apple Mail is not working with OAuth2 in Sierra and High Sierra, Mojave is really becoming an obsolescence frontier. I moved all my Macs from Late 2008 to 2012 to Mojave. Also Mojave seems to be the last macOS to run quite well on HFS+ without too much effort as I am still using original HDDs with installed Mojave as a backups.
As of today, I can't log into Google with Mail. So it isn't working at all currently. I will try again tomorrow, restarting etc. maybe it will resolve itself but it keeps want me to log-in and logging in doesn't work. It only started Monday, everything has been working fine and no changes to apps or system. It must be on Google's side. Postbox is working fine though with the same accounts.

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
As of today, I can't log into Google with Mail. So it isn't working at all currently. I will try again tomorrow, restarting etc. maybe it will resolve itself but it keeps want me to log-in and logging in doesn't work. It only started Monday, everything has been working fine and no changes to apps or system. It must be on Google's side. Postbox is working fine though with the same accounts.
I don't have any issues with Mail, although I am not using gmail since August 2023. It was working fine when I did use it.

Reactions: MacHeritage

MysteriousStain

macrumors regular
As of Monday watching TV+ on Firefox became problematic and buggy and Safari won’t accept me clicking on the sign-in button. Firefox says this release is the final one for Mojave and will not receive any more security updates after sometime next year.

I am running a 2012 MBP. I know Apple hates us getting so much use from a purchase but this machine is a beast and just keeps going (new battery, SSD swap on the HDD). I hate the idea of abandoning a perfectly good piece of hardware. It rankles that my bootcamp Win10 still receives updates (debuted in 2015) and Mojave stopped getting updates after just 3 years.

Reactions: MBAir2010

MacHeritage

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2022
British Columbia, Canada
I don't have any issues with Mail, although I am not using gmail since August 2023. It was working fine when I did use it.
I don't either, just was Google accounts only. It finally corrected itself today. So Gmail still works currently but there was an issue starting Monday that seems to be resolved now.

Reactions: avz

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
The MacBook Air 2010 265B 4RAM has been running unsupportive Mojave
since 2019 thanks to dosdude patcher, he rules!

the MBA sat in a box from I thing august until early October.

I did some updates last week and Firefox still runs smooth and the overall feel was the same.
my main functions was video conversions and downloading some PS4 and file storage.

I did some updates allowing a new iPad gen 10 USB c to communicate and store as a back up
since the ssd drive free space was plentiful.

this was last Wednesday and everything was fine but something weird and slow.
I do have 2 other MacBooks so I was not totally focused on the MVA2010 this weekend.

yesterday I just checked to "about this Mac" and low and behold, the MBA returned to HS?
tempImagem5d9I3.png
kinda weird, since we would know if we installed a OSX in our MacBooks, air and pro?
I think maybe the graphic is wrong and Mojave is still running the MBA2010.
a clean install will fix this or a Time Machine back up which I will perform next week.

oh well!

Reactions: George Dawes

MacHeritage

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2022
British Columbia, Canada
The MacBook Air 2010 265B 4RAM has been running unsupportive Mojave
since 2019 thanks to dosdude patcher, he rules!

the MBA sat in a box from I thing august until early October.

I did some updates last week and Firefox still runs smooth and the overall feel was the same.
my main functions was video conversions and downloading some PS4 and file storage.

I did some updates allowing a new iPad gen 10 USB c to communicate and store as a back up
since the ssd drive free space was plentiful.

this was last Wednesday and everything was fine but something weird and slow.
I do have 2 other MacBooks so I was not totally focused on the MVA2010 this weekend.

yesterday I just checked to "about this Mac" and low and behold, the MBA returned to HS?
View attachment 2293887
kinda weird, since we would know if we installed a OSX in our MacBooks, air and pro?
I think maybe the graphic is wrong and Mojave is still running the MBA2010.
a clean install will fix this or a Time Machine back up which I will perform next week.

oh well!
You can tell by checking system preferences and seeing if you have dark mode option. Then you know for certain if it is 10.13 or 10.14 installed.

Reactions: MBAir2010
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.