Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Justin33

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2013
We need to go visit Steve Jobs' grave and feel the ground for vibration. He must be spinning around so hard in that grave right now. Poor guy. :(

That thing.. looks like *****.

Last edited:

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
I personally like the antenna bands. I never realized how much people cared so much about the aesthetics to say that they are disgustingly disappointed by their new future phone having two lines on the back of it. I mean. what the heck even

Most people keep their phones in cases anyway. Would you guys rather that the phone had worse reception? or that it has two lines on it?

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
Most people keep their phones in cases anyway.
so because some people put their phones in cases,it's ok if phone looks ugly?
Where is the logic in that?
those bars look stupid and ugly man..why couldn't they color match them with the case at least? White rubber? Ugggg
Would you guys rather that the phone had worse reception? or that it has two lines on it?
there is nothing wrong with the reception on iphone 5s and it doesn't have those bars..

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
Haha, another one who buy the phone just to look, not use...lol.

lol so your logic can only handle either side: looks OR use..while I care for both.

----------

miserable, go enjoy your android and stop moaning! ;)

Miserable is when a few fail to admit the dissatisfaction of the majority,open your eyes 90% of people here HATE this design.
if I wanted an android device I wouldn't even care about the design flaws of iPhone 6..;)

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
so because some people put their phones in cases,it's ok if phone looks ugly?
Where is the logic in that?
those bars look stupid and ugly man..why couldn't they color match them with the case at least? White rubber? Ugggg

there is nothing wrong with the reception on iphone 5s and it doesn't have those bars..

Well, the logic is "why are people complaining about the look of the phone when it's such a small detail that really doesn't affect functionality in any way", and "why do people care what the phone looks like if they'll never see it anyway?"

There is a lot of logic in that.. I'm not saying that apple is making the phone ugly because people will put it into a case anyway, I'm saying I don't understand why people are getting so upset about a cosmetic detail that in reality they most likely won't even have to look at anyway. It's not about them making the phone ugly, it's about people whining about it when they plan on covering it up anyway

It being ugly is an opinion, and I personally do not agree.

Moto G

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2014
Here's an idea - there have been a HUGE amount of "leaks" - if the leaks have been THIS high profile and regular, and because this even is going to be SO huge, the chances are VERY VERY VERY high this is NOT the real deal, and you've all been duped and misdirected.

Not joking - I doubt this is the final (or real) product, for SUCH a huge re-design. So many things are wrong with it, it beggars belief that you'd think it could even be considered.

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
More High-Quality Photos Show 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Rear Shell with Colored Bands

Really liking the new design, bands and all...

Last edited:

tripmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Switzerland
I definitely hate the back. When these were leaked initially months ago, I was hoping it was fake. Apple can do something better than that. I mean it's not terrible, but they can do better, or so I thought. Who knows, maybe I'll still be surprised yet?

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Here's an idea - there have been a HUGE amount of "leaks" - if the leaks have been THIS high profile and regular, and because this even is going to be SO huge, the chances are VERY VERY VERY high this is NOT the real deal, and you've all been duped and misdirected.

Not joking - I doubt this is the final (or real) product, for SUCH a huge re-design. So many things are wrong with it, it beggars belief that you'd think it could even be considered.

This is the real deal. When the iPhone 5 was dropping, the leaks were spot on. Last year, the leaks were spot on with the 5c and 5s.

XVentura

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
And compare their reception performance to the other phones.
The 5S' reception performance is pretty damn good, isn't it? I have used one multiple times and never had a problem with it.

This may be the first time Apple prioritised function over aesthetics.

----------

Disgustingly ugly? Please, refresh me on how the back of the 5/5S looked. Don't worry, I'll wait.
The back of those phones were clean lines that were symmetrical and parallel to the shape of the phone. It isn't like this, at all.

I'll be honest, the horizontal antenna band doesn't bother me because it's parallel to each other. It's the band that curves around the top and bottom of the phone that is the irritant. And it's the irritant because it doesn't curve around the absolute top of the phone - because it can't, because there are other things there - but instead it curves around the back and produces a look that creates a contrast with the rest of the back.

It's this contrast that is an eyesore. They should colour in the top and bottom like one of the renders did. Those renders looked great. This is still an eyesore.

Everything else about the phone looks great. The front panel looks beautiful, the screen size is awesome, but the curved antenna bands are an eyesore regardless.

----------

a new report from well-sourced Japanese news agency Nikkei says the actual iPhone 6 and iPhone phablet’s antenna designs will differ dramatically from the mockups that have been floating around for months.

According to the report, the markings on leaked schematics that iPhone 6 model makers have used to place these plastic inserts are actually designations for areas that will be completely covered by glass, just as the top and bottom of the iPhone 5s case feature glass inserts. This would obviously completely change the look of the phone compared to what we have seen thus far.
This would make it similar to one of the renders out there, which is absolutely beautiful. I really hope this is true.

----------

I'll preface this comment with the fact that I'll still be buying this phone but I really hate the back. If the lines were just straight across, I suppose I'd like it more, but the fact that they wrap up (or down depending on if your looking at the top or bottom) makes it look terrible.

Can anyone really say the back of this phone looks better than the one M8?
Exactly. I'll still be buying it but man oh man, the curved antenna bands don't look good. The M8 looks much better because it's simply horizontal and it creates symmetry and parallels on the back. This doesn't.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Oh the irony in this thread. The bands went from hideous a week or so ago to a beautiful design.

And anyone that still doesn't like it will buy it anyway. Priceless. :eek:

XVentura

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Heh, the bands are pretty damn ugly but I'm still getting one for my girlfriend because her phone is dying by the day and this will be the best phone out there when you factor in all its pluses and minuses, IMO.

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
I don't get how HTC was able to pull off their antenna design with just one band and less thick while Apple seems to have no clue :confused:

Because HTC's unibody is a phony competition tool. The sides of the One M7 are plastic and much of the front and sides of the M8 are plastic.

mikeash

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2014
So we have people crying about colored bands, only 1GB of RAM, small battery, no 1080p resolution and big bezels. Good, hopefully you guys stick with your 5s or go buy an Android phone and I won't have to wait in a huge line launch day. Thanks!

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
Whatever the thought on the bands, the whole "who cares it's in a case" argument is plain dumb, given the whole oohing and ahhhing that goes on at the media events when Joney and Tim talk about how beautiful the phones look.

4Apples

macrumors member
May 21, 2013
Maybe it will look better in person, but in all these pictures, the bands appear to protrude on one or more sides, and it makes me want to see if I can peel them off. If it turns out this is real life, the phone photographs horribly and will need more airbrushing than Kate Upton to appear in close-up photos on apple.com.

Maybe the lines are thicker so that the phone can lie flat with the protruding camera. I'm sure Steve would had created a better design.

Tourgott

macrumors member
May 18, 2014
Stuttgart
I'm pretty sure Steve did not design a single iPhone. He maybe picked the designs out of a few suggestions by Jony Ive's team. You never know which other design suggestions for the iPhone 4 were on his desk. Maybe they were even better?!

Lannoc

macrumors regular
May 30, 2011
Is anyone putting any credence in this as a final design?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 76
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.