Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
Some of you guys don't seem to understand how difficult it is to design an antenna.

If they had 2 years and couldn't really improve the current design, I'm sure it wasn't because they didn't try hard enough.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
Some of you guys don't seem to understand how difficult it is to design an antenna.

If they had 2 years and couldn't really improve the current design, I'm sure it wasn't because they didn't try hard enough.

Yes, we get that it needs to be there. I don't think anyone is saying it's easy, they're just saying other manufacturers (and up until this point Apple) have found better ways to do it.

Jett0516

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2010
I don't get how HTC was able to pull off their antenna design with just one band and less thick while Apple seems to have no clue :confused:

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
Phones are much easier to drop than a Ferrari. Most phones I see are in a case.
Having it in a case has saved my phone a few times. A little extra protection is a good thing in my book.

Ferraris are also a lot easier to crash!

XVentura

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
I think you should post your own designs so that we can compare them to Apple's. In fact everyone here who acts like a design expert should do the same thing.
Why don't we just compare their designs to other phones who don't have non-subtle antenna designs?

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
I think it looks alright. I'm sure whatever professional pics Apple throws at us, along with Ive's intro video in his soothing accent, will get me to buy it.

And I'm okay with that.

"soothing accent" LoL it helps!

I really don't like the bands :(

At this point they're kinda growing on me. Now I'm more freaked out about the protruding lens. But it doesn't even really matter to me since I'm still a couple years away from getting a new iPhone anyway.

Hipsters aren't going to like this phone now that everyone has already heard about these bands.

Now that's funny.

This is the space grey? Oops I thought it was the silver. So this with black bands and black front might look nice. I'll still get the while one,but this looks nice to me.

I just wonder if the white plastic will tend to get dingy after a while like the headphone cords.

Is liquidmetal radio transparent?

I kinda doubt it. But who knows.

LI1018_Properties_Comparison_Flyer_071713_JC.png

thisrocks

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
Melbourne Australia
When initially seeing the leaked iP5 shots (below) the contrast of silver and black was really off-putting, just like the bands on the iP6; This place has attracted such fanboys that apparently now I need need to have an intimate knowledge of industrial design/electrical engineering (antennas) to feel comfortable stating a negative opinion on design featured via the leaked components.

No, I do not have an alternative design idea for Apple and the members of this forum to consider, merely a hope that the contrasting effect is greatly diminished on the final space grey version that we will be proudly demonstrated come September 9.

iphone_2012_black_white_rear.jpg

Unknown-500x333.jpg

[Nostalgia]Remember how it was going to be called the iPhone 6? hehehe, loved that. I wish they call this upcoming one "the new iPhone"[/Nostalgia]

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
Haha, another one who buy the phone just to look, not use...lol.

No,I buy it too use and I want it to look good,I don't want an ugly device.or you think design and aesthetics are not important?
you must be from a different planet because in this world months are spent on design.there is university course dedicated to design,you know..

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
This is the better way to do it...

Not those ugly gaps/bands/outlines.

That is made to look like a promo shot. I'm sure Apple will have lots of promo shots of the iPhone 6 that will look much better than this whether this is the design or not.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Is liquidmetal radio transparent?

Yes. It has something to do with its cristaline structure. Info

Perhaps you don't understand the term.

LiquidMetal IS NOT RADIO TRANSPARENT. Radio waves do not go through it. In other words, you could not have a case made of LM, put antennas inside it, and expect them to be able to send or receive through the LM case.

However, as that link points out, you could make the antenna parts themselves out of a LiquidMetal alloy, if the antennas were also part of the case.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.