Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

randymac09

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2014
Maryland
iPhone 5s complaints.......

Just throwing this out there....

"I just wish they could get rid of those bars at the top and the bottom on the back on the phone. They make the back look weird, and they don't fit in with the rest of the colors.

Hopefully they will with the iPhone 6."

Got your wish.

"I just want one with a bare aluminium side/back and all-black front, giving it the iPhone 4 overall look but in the light aluminium frame of the 5/5S."

Now you have it.

"Sigh, I wish they would make the back colors uniform. I hate how the top and bottom of the 5 are different than the middle."

Ask and you shall receive.

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
Lol it's hilarious all the people flipping their stance on this now they know it's legit. Hypocrites.

I called it months ago though, just like what everyone did with the iPhone 5. Once you see it on stage you will completely flip your stance and proclaim it as beautiful. :rolleyes:

Who have you seen do this?
Always (for every product launch) there are people who vocally hate rumored designs. The moment real photos come out, and someone dares to say they like it (most of the time not even someone who had been criticising it earlier)... there are people such as yourself who spring up to call everyone hypocrites.
Some certainties:
- Many people hate the design, always will
- Many people like the design, always will
- Some don't like it at first but it grows on them.

This is the case with any product, from any company, from any industry. You don't need to try to paint Apple users as a bunch of *sheep* who instinctively hate every product that is rumored, but flip to loving it the moment they are instructed to do so at product demo.

On a different subject.... the bands serve a functional purpose. Much like many people wish Apple would make the iPhone thicker in order to have a bigger battery, does not having a better functioning phone trump pure aesthetics? Function > Form.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
Looks damned near impossible to pick up off the table. Better put it in a big bulky case to protect it and make it twice as thick so it can be picked up!

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Some certainties:
- Many people hate the design, always will
- Many people like the design, always will
- Some don't like it at first but it grows on them.

One more:

- Everyone forgets about the design 2 min after they activate the phone and slip it in their pocket.

Padmini

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2014
I would probably throw it into something like this right away

A lot of people would (and will) with or without world-ending plastic bands.

----------

One more:

- Everyone forgets about the design 2 min after they activate the phone and slip it into a case.

Fixed ;)

----------

Looks damned near impossible to pick up off the table. Better put it in a big bulky case to protect it and make it twice as thick so it can be picked up!

Don't forget, the camera also extrudes by like 1 one millionth of a millimeter or something, so there will be a tiny prop on one side for grippy.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

Grip it by the side buttons. I'll have a form fitting case as always. No big.

randymac09

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2014
Maryland
Quick question

I want to know, and I don't mean to sound sarcastic I just truly want to know, who is NOT going to buy the iPhone 6 SOLELY based on the bands?

TDSlam720

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2014
Were the plastic bands on the back of the HTC One a big issue with people? They kept the plastic either white or black and didn't try to blend it in. Never really thought twice about it when I saw that phone released and my friend has one.

The only thing that disgusted me about the HTC One were fake bands, painted on. I checked out the unique blue body one at Best Buy and the black bands were painted on and already scratching off. Thinking back about it, maybe the non-working display model had it painted. Though, it looked like the real thing and any real customer for it would probably dismiss it because of that.

I will admit, for the bands on the HTC, it also felt like a design choice, as they had an additional line come down from the center and then circle around the camera, also centered, so it was all tied together better, giving it a nice look.

Bands on the HTC one were not an issue because they actually look good. The lines are clean and well placed. I've never seen one person complain about the breaks on the One, and I wouldn't complain about them on the 6, if they didn't go down the sides and do the curve up/down thing. That's what I don't understand, I don't know why they felt they had to add the extra breakage compared to the One.

I'm loling at all the people saying "Who cares what it looks like". Why even have a design team at all. Maybe apple should just cut out perfect rectangle plastic bodies and throw Apple logos on them, since apparently "everyone" puts a case on their phone. What's the point in having a sexy premium alluminum unibody then?

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Were the plastic bands on the back of the HTC One a big issue with people? They kept the plastic either white or black and didn't try to blend it in. Never really thought twice about it when I saw that phone released and my friend has one.

The only thing that disgusted me about the HTC One were fake bands, painted on. I checked out the unique blue body one at Best Buy and the black bands were painted on and already scratching off. Thinking back about it, maybe the non-working display model had it painted. Though, it looked like the real thing and any real customer for it would probably dismiss it because of that.

I will admit, for the bands on the HTC, it also felt like a design choice, as they had an additional line come down from the center and then circle around the camera, also centered, so it was all tied together better, giving it a nice look.

No-one complained much because this looked ok.

main-1.jpg

This looks naff.

iphone6_rearshell_hq112.jpg

Seems Apple are starting to fall behind with their detailing - the form factor looks great but the small "Apple" touches aren't there, symmetry golden ratios etc don't seem evident.

"Let's just throw that camera in there, it'll stick out a bit too but **** it, the rest of the phone is thin!" Jony Ive - Design meeting circa mid 2013.

And in answer to two points that will be brought up:

1. At this stage the mock-ups are generally pretty much what we get.

2. Those bands don't look good, they're not classy or better, if you think they are you probably wear tartan trousers or have an Apple logo tattoo.

curtisjacob

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2014
LA, CA
If the bands are real - I highly encourage attendees to stand up and walk out; they would be dumbfounded. We're not sheep. Poor design should not be rewarded.

TDSlam720

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2014
I want to know, and I don't mean to sound sarcastic I just truly want to know, who is NOT going to buy the iPhone 6 SOLELY based on the bands?

It's like buying a car that drives like a dream, but looks like ****. When you're in the car you'll be happy and forget about how it looks, but every time you walk out to your car you'll be wondering how/why you paid the knot for this abomination.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Taste is subjective. I dig 'em. Your language speaks to your life being extremely shallow.

Gonna go out on a limb here and say, No more than yours. Let’s get real here, and to all you upvoters too.

When was the last time you went out and deliberately bought an item of clothing that was completely functional but ugly, (and I don’t mean PPE for work)?

See. You’re just as shallow.

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2003
I'm going to buy this new phone to replace my battery-challenged 4S.

But to me those bands look bad.

Not a fan but I'm sure the rest of the phone will wow. And I'll have the phone in a case for sure so I'll forget about the bands quickly.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
I think the phone with the bands looks good. I also think the HTC One in the picture a few posts above looks good. What's the big deal? If you don't like it, don't buy it. Apple will still sell these like hot cakes and will not bat an eye lash because you are having a temper tantrum on a forum.

MacRumors is starting to get infested with this "whiny, my opinion matters and you are stupid if you don't agree" mindset. We need a purge.

wilymon

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2010
Texas
I don't like the bands but I have a feeling that, just like every other time, in 2 months I won't care. And most people won't care either. I wonder if there's an actual reason for them, the way those strange (ugly-at-the-time) breaks on the iPhone 4 had a purpose. What if they decided to make the antennas bigger/wider to provide a better, more constant signal. Wouldn't that increase battery life? I'm sure battery life is a huge struggle when making a device so thin and a screen so big.

Deadeyeshark

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
England
Regarding the bands, I remember a thread very similar to this after the iPhone 4 leaked... I'm thinking again those bands are something key to it's funtionality as were the Antenna breaks on the iPhone 4.

I'll be upgrading from a 5.

Can't wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.