Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MyDataMyProbs

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2014
Isn't the part on the right part of the sim eject mechanism?

EDIT:
iPhone 4/4s eject mechanism, so yes it is

ive always used a paperclip for getting my SIM card out? where is this tool you speak of? ive heard about lidquid metal tool etc blah blah, but i never recall actually seeing one in my box. and i have like 12 different iPhone boxes lol

ricci

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
NYC
Hey if I fell asleep on this logo, how long do I have with the imprint on my forehead ?

a.roden

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2013
Wolverhampton GB
ive always used a paperclip for getting my SIM card out? where is this tool you speak of? ive heard about lidquid metal tool etc blah blah, but i never recall actually seeing one in my box. and i have like 12 different iPhone boxes lol

This is the internal mechanism, not the tool no liquidmetal here :p

The Barron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Central California Coast
It hasn't been released, folks!

Many here need to take a large size chill pill and give Apple a chance to possibly surprise us on the 9th.

This might end up being one of the largest egg-on-the-face plays in memory if all the leakers & "insiders" are proven wrong.

Apple loves secrets & maybe, just maybe, they're getting ready to pull off another.

Give the company some slack.

We might, hopefully, all be surprised. :apple:

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
Would be curious to see if the protruding camera lens or other components could possibly be for the rumored optical image stabilization, or (less likely) some type of limited optical zoom.

Either way, Improvements in the camera will always be welcome.

Not if the lens protrudes.

Condescending much ?

I bought a Touch 5 because I wanted one.

What kind of phone do you have?

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
Talk about a swing and a MISS! Dude, this isn't a board game, it is life. In life, things are priced at the MOST the seller can get for them. If the 4.7 and the 5.5 were EXACTLY the same in every way except for size and the MARKET will pay more for the larger version then that is the right price.

I would pay 10-15% MORE for a larger screen version. It is what I want. If you won't pay more then don't. If it does have a higher cost, you can bet that Apple has done the market research to support the decision.

Supply and Demand. It is simple.

Well I guess we'll see...

;):rolleyes:

MyDataMyProbs

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2014
These are PHONES we're talking about. Not computers.

these are computers with antennae.

----------

I would like to hope that a protruding camera is required because of optical stabilizing elements but on the other hand other phone makers (like LG) have managed to implement OIS without a protruding lens. My guess, though, would be that Apple is going the iPod Touch route and keeping the phone very thin.

Personally I think that the protruding camera on the iPods don't look bad.

Form (at least partially) over function, though, when I think of the limited battery capacity.

Maybe they should protrude the battery as well :p

if i had to guess, which is probably a bad idea.. ha. i would say LG spent much more time with their camera module than Apple did. seeing as how LG builds a phone and then boots up some software they find and out it goes. Apple probably spends as much time with the software as they do hardware, im willing to bet with LG or any other non iOS device, not so much?

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Your view here seems split between this concept of "Applelike" and Apple doing something to get the money (competitor success). The latter is the dominant driver of what is Applelike. They want the money. That's what the Samsung case was about- how much money Apple would have made had Samsung NOT "copied" Apple's innovations.

Apple is still publicly selling a 4" phone screen. Their launch of that size poked fun at bigger sizes. If there is anything to Applelike being more important than getting the money, they shouldn't be rolling out a 4.7" either. Per their own public stance to sell what is for sale right now, a 4.7" iPhone is not Applelike.

As I've shared before...
-roll out a 4.7" phone and soak up the business that wants phones bigger than about 4" and smaller than about 5" or so,
-roll out a 5.5" phone and soak up the business that wants phones bigger than about 5" and smaller than about 6" or so.

Leave either phone out and basically give the Android competition that business for up to another year. Why? If Applelike is about getting the money, then Apple will get it by mitigating the most tangible reason for bigger-screen buyers to choose ANY Android phone by rolling out both.

They chose not to leave the smaller-screen tablet size to Android in spite of very public statements about how users of such tablets would need sandpaper to sand down their fingers to 1/4 their size. Did doing something so UN-Applelike work for Apple? It certainly did.

My bet is on them choosing the money again instead of leaving it to Samsung and others for up to another year.

No doubt Apple want the money, at the end of the day they are a business competing in a tough global market. That's exactly why they're responding to customer wants by producing a larger screen iPhone. I get that you're saying that Apple will (and have) chosen money over being stubborn or 'Apple'-like as money will be the ultimate factor.

I'm just saying that I don't think that the 4.7" and 5.5" will be released together or in the same year and that they'll take preference to a 4.7" over a 5.5" at present. A 5.5" phone is quite large for the hand and seems too big for most. With Apple being a more practical-based product developer, I don't see them adopting this size anytime soon.
I just think it's less likely for Tim Cook to bang out a 5.5"er from his pocket at this year's Keynote, that's all.

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
im just going to troll you every time you troll a thread.

and yes there is a 5.5" phone. its been confirmed.

Agreed...nobody knows for sure whether a 5.5 is coming, but with Apple on a 2 year designed cycle, is it logical to think they will be selling a 4" inch phone thru 2016 when nobody else does?

That's a lot of money left on table....

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
No doubt Apple want the money, at the end of the day they are a business competing in a tough global market. That's exactly why they're responding to customer wants by producing a larger screen iPhone. I get that you're saying that Apple will (and have) chosen money over being stubborn or 'Apple'-like as money will be the ultimate factor.

I'm just saying that I don't think that the 4.7" and 5.5" will be released together or in the same year and that they'll take preference to a 4.7" over a 5.5" at present. A 5.5" phone is quite large for the hand and seems too big for most. With Apple being a more practical-based product developer, I don't see them adopting this size anytime soon.
I just think it's less likely for Tim Cook to bang out a 5.5"er from his pocket at this year's Keynote, that's all.

I appreciate the view. Mine's different. Lots of people are buying screens bigger than 4.7". There is a market for it. 4.7" won't lure all the people wanting phones bigger than that.

Yes, it's a big phone. But I suspect many people buy bigger-screen smart phones mostly for functions other than as a phone. If one thinks about it as a little computer, then it becomes a much more pocketable (smaller) iPad. If one mostly plays games on their iPhone, this .8" bigger screen will likely be a bit more fun for game players. And so on.

Personally, I'm only interested in a 5.5". A 4.7" will still be too small (for me). I'm not the only one who feels this way. Those of us used to iPhones are somewhat conditioned to iPhone screen sizes. 4.7" seems big- maybe even HUGE- while we (delusion) ourselves into believing that past stances like "one-handed use" might still work (where they can't possibly work at a phone with a screen less than 1" bigger).

Android users are used to phones up to sizes bigger than 6". To some of them, 5.5" will be a small phone that runs iOS. They might see it as more pocketable than their Android alternatives. To them, 4.7" might look like 3.5" or 3" to us.

Apple knows "we" are going to buy whatever they roll out. It could be a star-shaped phone, painted Pepto-Bismol pink with pea green stripes and an Octagon-shaped screen and it will be "shut up and take my money" by this crowd. What Apple needs is to grow it's pool of buyers. They need to draw in some of those Android people. Those prospects are accustomed to screens bigger than 4.7" and much bigger than 4". Apple needs to give them something to buy (too)... or see them give those revenues to Android manufacturers again.

MyDataMyProbs

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2014
Agreed...nobody knows for sure whether a 5.5 is coming, but with Apple on a 2 year designed cycle, is it logical to think they will be selling a 4" inch phone thru 2016 when nobody else does?

That's a lot of money left on table....

yup yup. im thinking 5.5 same say as iWatch in the "One more thing" segment. or on sept 9. either way, we are getting one. It has been mentioned 5+ times in this thread - "Applelike" is Apple making the most money possible, they have sat back watched people buy huge phones, do Apple employees want one? maybe not? but do they want to make one and cash in an extra 40Mil $ worth of revenue? The answer is Yes Yes Yes my friend!:apple:

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
When are they just gonna make the Apple logo light up?

Battery life is already strained by the drive for "thin". Adding something to drain battery for just a gimmick effect has little utility. It's like a tattoo- cool in the moment and while there is anyone else to react to seeing it for the first time. Then, you just live with it.

Besides, many iPhones go into cases. An illuminated light inside a case is like getting the tattoo in a spot where you can't show it to anyone.

So if it was a vote, I'd vote for never.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
That's it! I'm done reading stupid posts on screws, logos, antennas and openings in metal casing. It's a smartphone, not an alien spaceship. :mad:

/walks out to solve real problems ;)

You'll be back.

arnold-schwarzenegger-hot-600x450.jpg

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
I appreciate the view. Mine's different. Lots of people are buying screens bigger than 4.7". There is a market for it. 4.7" won't lure all the people wanting phones bigger than that.

Yes, it's a big phone. But I suspect many people buy bigger-screen smart phones mostly for functions other than as a phone. If one thinks about it as a little computer, then it becomes a much more pocketable (smaller) iPad. If one mostly plays games on their iPhone, this .8" bigger screen will likely be a bit more fun for game players. And so on.

Personally, I'm only interested in a 5.5". A 4.7" will still be too small (for me). I'm not the only one who feels this way. Those of us used to iPhones are somewhat conditioned to iPhone screen sizes. 4.7" seems big- maybe even HUGE- while we (delusion) ourselves into believing that past stances like "one-handed use" might still work (where they can't possibly work at a phone with a screen less than 1" bigger).

Android users are used to phones up to sizes bigger than 6". To some of them, 5.5" will be a small phone that runs iOS. They might see it as more pocketable than their Android alternatives. To them, 4.7" might look like 3.5" or 3" to us.

Apple knows "we" are going to buy whatever they roll out. It could be a star-shaped phone, painted Pepto-Bismol pink with pea green stripes and an Octagon-shaped screen and it will be "shut up and take my money" by this crowd. What Apple needs is to grow it's pool of buyers. They need to draw in some of those Android people. Those prospects are accustomed to screens bigger than 4.7" and much bigger than 4". Apple needs to give them something to buy (too)... or see them give those revenues to Android manufacturers again.

Lol, I personally don't like the idea of a 4.7" iPhone as I think it's too small, but at the same time I also think that the 5.5" is too big. The sweet spot for me is around the 5.0-5.2".

Having used the Galaxy S5 for a while, I think they've got the right balance on the screen size. The Note 3 at 5.7" however is far too much of a beast, especially for females who generally have smaller hands. That's why I don't think a 5.5" is viable for Apple, even though it may be smaller than the Note 3.

But like you said, for an Android user, which Apple are likely to target, they'll have been conditioned to handle large-esque phones than an iOS user.

If I had to choose between the the 4.7" and 5.5", i'd go for the 5.5" even though I think it's slightly oversized to what I'd like. But anyways, I guess everyone has their own opinions on what their ideal size is. :)

----------

you'll be back.

lol

MyDataMyProbs

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2014
Battery life is already strained by the drive for "thin". Adding something to drain battery for just a gimmick effect has little utility. It's like a tattoo- cool in the moment and while there is anyone else to react to seeing it for the first time. Then, you just live with it.

Besides, many iPhones go into cases. An illuminated light inside a case is like getting the tattoo in a spot where you can't show it to anyone.

So if it was a vote, I'd vote for never.

its not like there wouldnt be an option to turn off, for the very basic consumers whom only talk and randomly text/email their battery could sustain the notification light all day, and would probably very much like it. I would use it at night when my phone is charging because i when im in bed my phone is on vibrate. i cant feel the vibrations due to the thick blankets and i dont want my phone on loud because i have crazy server friends that might be calling me at 4 am to party.

thats the only reason id used it but im sure people would most deff find a use for it!

however im sure vast majority will be just fine without it :eek:

----------

OT: you can already reserve/ preorder the new iPhone on the german T-Mobile page. same as every year.

i dont see it..:rolleyes:

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I'm totally fine with it on the 5.5 inch model, just another reason not to get it, but please just let the 4.7 be the flagship with a flush camera and the same internals as the other iPhone.

If the 5.5 has a protruding camera lens, it's because the 5.5 will have a better camera. (Better focal length, larger sensor, or both). So the 5.5 would be the "flagship" in that scenario.

sailmac

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
The protruding ring is there for third party attachments as detailed in Apple patent applications.

I was just thinking about that when I came across your comment.

I don't know how far the ring must protrude in order to facilitate 3rd party attachments, but nowadays I suppose it doesn't take much.

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Its cause no one bought the 5th gen ipod ;) You will find most of the people posting on here have iPhones.

For Iphones users going from no protruding lens to having one, is going to ruffle a few feathers.

Did you look at the pictures? I don't think people realize how minuscule this is. Look at the scale of the iPod 5th gen in relation to the "protruding lens". It's so tiny, if it bothers you, you need to prioritize what you worry about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.