Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamIAre

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Stop saying the iPhone has not used an embedded logo since the original. The iPhone 5 and 5s have an embedded glass logo, the introduction video for the 5 went into great detail about the process for computer matching the cutouts with glass inlays.

The logo on the 5 / 5s isn't embedded glass. The video you're referring to is talking about the glass sections at the top and bottom of the phones, not the Apple logo. Source: the video, and also the 5s I'm holding right now.

----------

Got a feeling the external camera ring is magnetic or there for lens attachments to cling onto. Might be stretch but I dont see any other reason on putting it there.

Seems unlikely since the newest iPods have a protruding camera and yet no attachments. The reason is that the device got thinner than the camera and you can't just make a camera thinner without sacrificing quality.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Got a feeling the external camera ring is magnetic or there for lens attachments to cling onto. Might be stretch but I dont see any other reason on putting it there.

Occam's Razor. The simplest explanation, if the ring is there, is the designers wanted to provide more separation between the camera lens and the camera sensor than could be provided within the thickness of the device. The optimal distance is a measure of the intended focal length, sensor size, and other factors. In other words, the most likely explanation has nothing to do with some patent application that will never reach fruition, but with a desire to improve (or at least maintain, in the face of decreased phone thickness) the picture-taking ability of the device. Again, this all assumes the ring is even real, which is far from a foregone conclusion.

Viper2005

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2007
Most of you will buy some bulky case for the iPhone which will be thicker than the lens protrusion itself!

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
I hate protruding lenses on phones. Excellent way for me to scratch every surface I lay it on in my house.

Unless you have little chips of diamond all around your house, the lens (made of sapphire as they currently are on the iPhone 5S) will not be cut in your house

Jiz

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2011
I think every Apple product- with rare exception (I'm looking at you new Mac Pro) seems to have about this many leaks ahead of launch.

And it feels like about 75% of the leaks related to this one all revolve around the same set of specs that got out into the wild near the beginning of this cycle. Since, then, case mockups based on those specs have led to body mockups based on those specs and on an on. Basically, one good or bad first rumor seems to have spawned a lot of close variants.

Mac Pro first tangible rumor was 5 days before the new Mac Pro was shown to the public. iPhone 5.5" is seeming to be well hidden (I know 1080p: "there is no 5.5" iPhone") but not as well as the Mac Pro. Maybe "doubled down" is a red herring strategy where Apple selectively leaks Apple Television, iPad Pro, maybe iWatch, etc. to pump misinformation into the rumor pipeline (which, I think, is the only way any kind of doubling down might actually work). Apple is too big and too hot to be able to actually pinch down every leak.

Isn't it likely that Apple security division has allot of fun putting out false leaks?

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
ive always used a paperclip for getting my SIM card out? where is this tool you speak of? ive heard about lidquid metal tool etc blah blah, but i never recall actually seeing one in my box. and i have like 12 different iPhone boxes lol
Take a closer look at the white flat box inside the iPhone box. The eject tool is clipped on two latches and looks like a stretched oval with a straight piece protruding from one of the shorter sides. See e.g. this image.

vslab

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2014
As far as i know liquidmetal is used in an injection moulding processes, the logo looks like it was milled, probably from a block of aluminum. I would expect liquidmetal in the iwatch though.

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
As far as i know liquidmetal is used in an injection moulding processes, the logo looks like it was milled, probably from a block of aluminum. I would expect liquidmetal in the iwatch though.

Good point. Just to play devil's advocate though, Sometimes you can see mill markings in injection molded parts. But you're probably right. :( The main reason I say that is because of those little indentions which could be for where the tooling pushes the molded part out of the dye. Otherwise what would they be for? Or maybe not. What do I know?

jlabute

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2014
I agree

It better have one hell of a camera if it's going to have that ugly protruding lens.

and it better have OIS... otherwise, Sony XPeria Z3, Lenovo Vibe Z2 and many others are just gonna blaze on by with OIS, and 20MP sensors and what-ever. I hope Apple tries to compete. Other phones have IP67 rating for waterproof(Samsung/Sony), HD audio. QHD screen. We are all looking for something we consider important to ourselves which covers a wide range of tech. I think sapphire would be cool.
My wish list is OIS, sapphire, HD audio. Don't care much about QHD or resolutions beyond the limit of what I can see.
I hate to say it... the Lenovo looks interesting... but I'd probably go Sony Z3 instead... unless Apple steps up wearing some cool underwear!

Not sure what part of hell Apples camera will be from. If Apple were to dangle some carrots like "Yes, OIS is coming" perhaps that would have a few more people wait. It's not a new piece of tech so I say spill some beans to kindle more interest.

It will be exciting to see how good it is.

Last edited:

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Did you look at the pictures? I don't think people realize how minuscule this is. Look at the scale of the iPod 5th gen in relation to the "protruding lens". It's so tiny, if it bothers you, you need to prioritize what you worry about.

Read the thread, people have issues with it.

I could careless until I see the launch. Cause frankly it's not verified yet.

I suspect it's bothering you more, that people care about it. Re-prioritise!

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Right.... hence my post.. :confused:

Not bothering me at all, it's just fascinating that people are flipping out over a non-issue, don't ya think?

So are you saying "your" reply to me, was to everyone instead? Cause I never said I had an issue with it. :confused:

Given we have not seen the iPhone 6 and don't know the extent of a possible protruding lens, I'd say your doing a great job of apologising on behalf of apple for a non-issue.

How about we wait for the iPhone 6 to launch and decide how much if a "non-issue" it is.

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
So are you saying "your" reply to me, was to everyone instead? Cause I never said I had an issue with it. :confused:

Given we have not seen the iPhone 6 and don't know the extent of a possible protruding lens, I'd say your doing a great job of apologising on behalf of apple for a non-issue.

How about we wait for the iPhone 6 to launch and decide how much if a "non-issue" it is.

I was commenting based on your comment. Quoted for context more than anything.. I'm sorry if you took offense, it wasn't any sort of personal attack.

I was surprised when I saw the picture with the protruding lens as well. The way the pictures are zoomed in to such a large size is misleading to some I believe. In reality, we're talking about millimeters here.. it would be like complaining about how far the vibration switch "protrudes" from the side of the device.. its about the size of the thickness of your fingernail.

I was simply pointing this out.. Perhaps people are having a knee-jerk reaction instead of taking a step back and looking at what this really is.

Again, not directed at you specifically.. just expressing thoughts in a forum.

utsava

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2004
how do we know it will be in direct contact with the casing? perhaps there will be a thin insulator between them we haven't seen anything assembled

There has been images on the device with the hole filled and they are in direct contact. Sure, I guess there is a possibility of this, but there has been no indication whatsoever from the leaks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.