Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
Thought I would create a thread for these newly announced devices.
Available straight away in UK / Europe (Razr 40 Ultra) and late in June in America (Razr+), these look like great alternatives to Samsung’s Flip series, and other devices with this form factor.

The naming convention is… weird, and I much prefer the name for the phones in America than outside of America, but, there we have it.

The outer display of the Ultra / + is the big selling point here. Looks so much better than the competition, although I know Samsungs Flip is also likely to increase the size of its cover display in this years Flip 5.

Colour wise, they‘re going all in on the Magenta, but I don’t like it at all. The blue is where it’s at for me.

Am I tempted? Yes… yes I am.

IMG_0046.png
IMG_0047.jpeg

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Video on the Ultra/+ by MKBHD; he argues the limited outer screen on the previous or regular versions could be preferred to some. The closed phone is less distracting as the small screen only serves limited functions.

Interesting to see if people actually want a limited screen or not.

JiggyJaggy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2020
Just ordered the blue myself. Excellent phone if you just want to glance at messages etc. Was hoping Apple would have pioneered this. As someone said in a review vid it is the second coming of the Flip phones in a much more useable format.

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2008
UK
What do people make of the criticism I’ve seen from some that they are asking 2023 flagship prices for last years hardware, and cameras that are arguably not as good as those in flip phones already out like the Flip4 & the Oppo N2? Also it’s said to have aggressive thermal throttling.

That said I like the idea of a big outer screen that you can work without having to open the phone, the design in general is nicer than other flip phones, plus you’re getting basically stock Android.

If I was in a market for a flip phone I think I’d wait to see what the Flip5 has to offer before making a choice.

Last edited:

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
OK, the Razr showed up this morning. Spent all morning setting it up and playing around with and… I don’t like it.

I didn’t really think that I’d end up replacing my Pixel 7 Pro with it, but I was curious to see if the updated outer screen on these types of devices would be enough to maybe make me want to keep it until the Pixel 8.

I will post some pics of the device later but a few early thoughts as to why I’m not crazy on the phone. Remember these are my thoughts, and my gripes may not be someone else’s.

- Haptics. Weak and barely there. It’s funny because swiping back from either side of the phone gives a really nice haptic buzz, so it isn’t the vibration motor they’ve used as the swipe back feels great. Just needs dialling up on the keyboard presses but there’s no option to increase it.

- Camera. Camera is not so bad from what I have seen. But photos of my dog are a little soft vs the Pixel and I have already noticed some overblown highlights where there is light peaking into the scene. Also, it doesn’t feel like it captures instantly as per Pixel / iPhone, which is always an issue and this is in very bright conditions. I dread to think what it will be like indoors at night time but will try it out later and post samples.

- Display. The inner display is nice, but out of the box the colours looked too over saturated for me (very Samsung), so I went straight into settings to change it. The only option I had was ‘Saturated’ or ‘Natural‘. I chose natural, as I generally do with my Android phones and it looked terrible. It was as if all the colour had been sucked out or the display was faulty haha, so I switched back to Saturated but it is far too neon. I don’t like either option and the more I use the phone the more it bugs me.

- The phone doesn’t appear to flip open flat, or rather, the lid doesn’t go all the way back when open. So it looks bent when you‘re looking at it. Not as big an issue immediately until I picked my Pixel 7 Pro up for a min and used it then went back to the Razr. But very odd and now I can’t unsee it.

- Having used a Pixel 7 Pro for so long now, I kinda like the fatness of it haha. It’s a wide boy, and this Razr is tall and slim so I am making lots of mistakes on the keyboard. Not a huge issue, as I’d get used to it, but I think I prefer the wider ratio now. It’s also a bit better for watching content.

Some things I do like:

+ The outer display really is as cool as it looks. So usable, extremely customisable (in a good way) and you really can use it and get a lot done without having to open the phone up. This is definitely the future for these type of devices.

+ Phone comes with a clear case (snap on in 2 parts as per the Samsung Flip phones) - and also with a charging plug in the box! That was a nice surprise.

+ Motorola’s ‘skin’ is very stock but with some really nice additions. Such as being able to change the icon shape for apps, the fonts etc, and also set ‘themes’ which you can swap between. Each theme allows you to customise your phones appearance, from wallpaper, to icon shape, to the Material You colour, to the sounds, dark / light mode etc. Really nice and the kind of thing stock Android does miss IMO.

Those are some very early impressions. I think I will definitely be returning it, as the things which are negative points to me as pretty big ones that will frustrate me. If anything, I think using a different Android device after so long has also made me realise how much I love my 7 Pro.

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2008
UK
OK, the Razr showed up this morning. Spent all morning setting it up and playing around with and… I don’t like it.

I didn’t really think that I’d end up replacing my Pixel 7 Pro with it, but I was curious to see if the updated outer screen on these types of devices would be enough to maybe make me want to keep it until the Pixel 8.

I will post some pics of the device later but a few early thoughts as to why I’m not crazy on the phone. Remember these are my thoughts, and my gripes may not be someone else’s.

- Haptics. Weak and barely there. It’s funny because swiping back from either side of the phone gives a really nice haptic buzz, so it isn’t the vibration motor they’ve used as the swipe back feels great. Just needs dialling up on the keyboard presses but there’s no option to increase it.

- Camera. Camera is not so bad from what I have seen. But photos of my dog are a little soft vs the Pixel and I have already noticed some overblown highlights where there is light peaking into the scene. Also, it doesn’t feel like it captures instantly as per Pixel / iPhone, which is always an issue and this is in very bright conditions. I dread to think what it will be like indoors at night time but will try it out later and post samples.

- Display. The inner display is nice, but out of the box the colours looked too over saturated for me (very Samsung), so I went straight into settings to change it. The only option I had was ‘Saturated’ or ‘Natural‘. I chose natural, as I generally do with my Android phones and it looked terrible. It was as if all the colour had been sucked out or the display was faulty haha, so I switched back to Saturated but it is far too neon. I don’t like either option and the more I use the phone the more it bugs me.

- The phone doesn’t appear to flip open flat, or rather, the lid doesn’t go all the way back when open. So it looks bent when you‘re looking at it. Not as big an issue immediately until I picked my Pixel 7 Pro up for a min and used it then went back to the Razr. But very odd and now I can’t unsee it.

- Having used a Pixel 7 Pro for so long now, I kinda like the fatness of it haha. It’s a wide boy, and this Razr is tall and slim so I am making lots of mistakes on the keyboard. Not a huge issue, as I’d get used to it, but I think I prefer the wider ratio now. It’s also a bit better for watching content.

Some things I do like:

+ The outer display really is as cool as it looks. So usable, extremely customisable (in a good way) and you really can use it and get a lot done without having to open the phone up. This is definitely the future for these type of devices.

+ Phone comes with a clear case (snap on in 2 parts as per the Samsung Flip phones) - and also with a charging plug in the box! That was a nice surprise.

+ Motorola’s ‘skin’ is very stock but with some really nice additions. Such as being able to change the icon shape for apps, the fonts etc, and also set ‘themes’ which you can swap between. Each theme allows you to customise your phones appearance, from wallpaper, to icon shape, to the Material You colour, to the sounds, dark / light mode etc. Really nice and the kind of thing stock Android does miss IMO.

Those are some very early impressions. I think I will definitely be returning it, as the things which are negative points to me as pretty big ones that will frustrate me. If anything, I think using a different Android device after so long has also made me realise how much I love my 7 Pro.

Thanks for your thoughts. I will say one thing the fact that it’s not another fat phone is what interests me. Disappointing to hear about the camera and even more so the screen, the screen sounds like a real issue, and you’d expect better on such an expensive device. I really dislike that ‘neon’ look you can get on some screens, and not being able to capture things instantly with the camera is a very big negative again in my book.

Reactions: 5105973

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Im interested in the flips. This one or the SS but the SS is expensive as hec. Not sure how much this one is.
The Motorola Thinkphone got good reviews from Flossy. It's only $700 for all it's specs. Comes with 256 GB , 144 hz scrolling. Only 1 color though.

Last edited:

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013

Some things I do like:

Thanks for the comments. Always look forward to your views on new phones.

John099

macrumors member
May 26, 2023
Just ordered the blue myself. Excellent phone if you just want to glance at messages etc. Was hoping Apple would have pioneered this. As someone said in a review vid it is the second coming of the Flip phones in a much more useable format.
Love these new flip phones! Makes it way more pocketable and protects the screens way more effectively, although this one has an external one as well.

John099

macrumors member
May 26, 2023
What do people make of the criticism I’ve seen from some that they are asking 2023 flagship prices for last years hardware, and cameras that are arguably not as good as those in flip phones already out like the Flip4 & the Oppo N2? Also it’s said to have aggressive thermal throttling.

That said I like the idea of a big outer screen that you can work without having to open the phone, the design in general is nicer than other flip phones, plus you’re getting basically stock Android.

If I was in a market for a flip phone I think I’d wait to see what the Flip5 has to offer before making a choice.
There is no perfect phone, and the next version will always be better. Sometimes you just take a leap and find out if it's for you or not. I'm a big fan these flip phones, fits pockets way better and the 90 degree feature is handy. Iphones have become so boring that you can skip 3 generations and you will hardly tell the difference, aside from slightly better cameras.

Reactions: super chimp

John099

macrumors member
May 26, 2023

Some things I do like:

Can't go wrong with the pixel 7 pro. That's a beast of a phone.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
Just a quick update ( I will post pics later sorry), the haptics feedback you can all ignore. I went into the GBoard settings and set the haptic feedback to 50 (so slap bang in the middle of the slider) - MUCH BETTER! Feel great now!

But others may like it right out the box. I'm just used to really powerful haptics as it's my preference.

I have already initiated a return of the phone, but I will still take it out and about today and get some camera samples vs 7 Pro if I end up going anywhere exciting haha.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Kind of interested in this phone, but disappointed they pretty much copied Samsung's design, i really loved the design of my Razr2021, chin and all.

And while I like Moto's skin better than Samsung's, they are so slow for updates while Samsung has been killing it. Guess it will all come down to trade-in values, i have my Razr2021, Fold3, S22, and Pixel 7 to trade, want a Pixel Fold, Razr/flip5, and pixel 8. Will see how trade in values are so i can get 3 of those devices.

Reactions: 5105973

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
Kind of interested in this phone, but disappointed they pretty much copied Samsung's design, i really loved the design of my Razr2021, chin and all.

And while I like Moto's skin better than Samsung's, they are so slow for updates while Samsung has been killing it. Guess it will all come down to trade-in values, i have my Razr2021, Fold3, S22, and Pixel 7 to trade, want a Pixel Fold, Razr/flip5, and pixel 8. Will see how trade in values are so i can get 3 of those devices.
Yeah I think they lost their identity with this one. It’s still a nice phone but it feels like a Samsung flip phone. If someone handed it to me and asked me who made it without me knowing, I’d 100% say Samsung.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
OK some pics of the device and some photo samples with Pixel 7 Pro comparisons.

Taking the sample photos has not been a great experience. The shutter is indeed, vey slow. I took one of my dog this morning and the room I was in was shaded, so tricky-ish lighting but nothing major and by the time the photo snapped she’d moved and I got a blurry mess.

Anyway, some pics.

PXL_20230604_104433006.jpg
PXL_20230604_104315377.jpg
PXL_20230604_104442210.jpg
PXL_20230604_104525042.jpg
PXL_20230604_104701594.jpg
PXL_20230604_104622309.jpg

PXL_20230604_104744087.jpg

And some camera samples. Top photo is Pixel 7 Pro, bottom photo is Razr 40 Ultra.
What do you think?

Pixel 7 Pro

PXL_20230604_094035138.jpg

Razr 40 Ultra

IMG_20230604_104038814_HDR.jpg

Pixel 7 Pro PORTRAIT

PXL_20230604_094052101.PORTRAIT.jpg

Razr 40 Ultra PORTRAIT

IMG_20230604_104058379_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg

Pixel 7 Pro

PXL_20230604_104817811.jpg

Razr 40 Ultra

IMG_20230604_114822152.jpg

Sorry the pics aren’t the best. I think it’s the usual story of smartphone cameras these days. The Razr is ok, and in good lighting it takes good photos that are definitely usable. But lower light it falls apart and becomes frustrating.
Here’s the photo I tried to take this morning where my dog moved. Reminds me of a Samsung camera here (wait for the Sammie fans to get upset :p )

IMG_20230604_084803725.jpg

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2008
UK
Are Motorola slow compared to other manufacturers with security & OS updates, even though they are using close to stock Android?

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
Are Motorola slow compared to other manufacturers with security & OS updates, even though they are using close to stock Android?

Not sure, never had a modern Motorola (Android) phone.
I know this Razr is brand new, but it has a March security patch…

Reactions: super chimp

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2008
UK
Somebody must like it as the magenta and blue colours have been sold out on Motorola’s UK web shop since yesterday afternoon.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
OK some pics of the device and some photo samples with Pixel 7 Pro comparisons.

Taking the sample photos has not been a great experience. The shutter is indeed, vey slow. I took one of my dog this morning and the room I was in was shaded, so tricky-ish lighting but nothing major and by the time the photo snapped she’d moved and I got a blurry mess.

Anyway, some pics.

View attachment 2211661 View attachment 2211659 View attachment 2211657 View attachment 2211658 View attachment 2211660 View attachment 2211656
View attachment 2211655

And some camera samples. Top photo is Pixel 7 Pro, bottom photo is Razr 40 Ultra.
What do you think?

Pixel 7 Pro

View attachment 2211652

Razr 40 Ultra

View attachment 2211663

Pixel 7 Pro PORTRAIT

View attachment 2211653

Razr 40 Ultra PORTRAIT

View attachment 2211662

Pixel 7 Pro

View attachment 2211654

Razr 40 Ultra

View attachment 2211664

Sorry the pics aren’t the best. I think it’s the usual story of smartphone cameras these days. The Razr is ok, and in good lighting it takes good photos that are definitely usable. But lower light it falls apart and becomes frustrating.
Here’s the photo I tried to take this morning where my dog moved. Reminds me of a Samsung camera here (wait for the Sammie fans to get upset )

View attachment 2211665
Thank you so much taking the time to post all of this @Aneres11. As always you
post great reviews!

Last edited:

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Just a quick update ( I will post pics later sorry), the haptics feedback you can all ignore. I went into the GBoard settings and set the haptic feedback to 50 (so slap bang in the middle of the slider) - MUCH BETTER! Feel great now!

But others may like it right out the box. I'm just used to really powerful haptics as it's my preference.

I have already initiated a return of the phone, but I will still take it out and about today and get some camera samples vs 7 Pro if I end up going anywhere exciting haha.
I figured there was a setting for it. Usually is. Im not big on haptic feedback. I either have it off or very soft. But if you couldnt adjust it, as long as it isnt noisy, i could adapt.

Dont you get 2 weeks to try before needing to return it? Id think 2 days isnt enough time to get used to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.