Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Kind of interested in this phone, but disappointed they pretty much copied Samsung's design, i really loved the design of my Razr2021, chin and all.

And while I like Moto's skin better than Samsung's, they are so slow for updates while Samsung has been killing it. Guess it will all come down to trade-in values, i have my Razr2021, Fold3, S22, and Pixel 7 to trade, want a Pixel Fold, Razr/flip5, and pixel 8. Will see how trade in values are so i can get 3 of those devices.
They will only give me $150 for my Pixel 7 on a trade in so it isnt great. At least not as good as Google.....which is weird. Doesnt Google own Motorola?

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
They will only give me $150 for my Pixel 7 on a trade in so it isnt great. At least not as good as Google.....which is weird. Doesnt Google own Motorola?

No, Lenovo bought Motorola from Google a couple of years ago.

Yeah, I’m waiting to see trade in values at Best Buy, figured they would be low at Motorola.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
I figured there was a setting for it. Usually is. Im not big on haptic feedback. I either have it off or very soft. But if you couldnt adjust it, as long as it isnt noisy, i could adapt.

Dont you get 2 weeks to try before needing to return it? Id think 2 days isnt enough time to get used to it.
Yeah you do get a period to return but I knew from early usage it isn't for me. The camera isn't up to par vs the Pixel, I don't like the fact it doesn't bend back all the way and it just isn't as nice to use as the Pixel is. Those things won't change with extended use.

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2008
UK
Yes, my razr is running android 12 with aug 2022 security update. And I just got android 12 a couple months ago.

That’s pretty terrible TBH. At least with OnePlus when my phone was being updated the security updates were fairly timely even if the OS updates could be a bit slow.

Reactions: 5105973

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
Love that outside screen and very nice looking phone though other than seeing the M on the back you would not think it's a Motorola...looking at the previous photos comparison the Moto is just not a great camera IMO ...they always miss the mark over the different releases and specs ...and updates are always slow ...for those reasons I will pass ...they do run close to stock software which is good ...thank you for the thoughts and creating a topic for this phone ...keep it coming if you keep it longer and anyone who picks one up ...

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2008
UK
Though the standard RAZR is meant to have a bigger battery and better camera hardware, as well as being cheaper. That doesn’t mean the pictures from it will be any better as the issues could be as much software as hardware related. And it certainly doesn’t mean anything for the speed of updates. Plus you’re losing the large external screen.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
Though the standard RAZR is meant to have a bigger battery and better camera hardware, as well as being cheaper. That doesn’t mean the pictures from it will be any better as the issues could be as much software as hardware related. And it certainly doesn’t mean anything for the speed of updates. Plus you’re losing the large external screen.
The cheaper one has better camera hardware? Or am I reading wrong?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
The larger cover screen is certainly quite pretty but I think I also subscribe to the take MKBHD had. Is being able to do and see more on that cover screen really a benefit. It allows one to quickly take out their phone and complete some tasks/actions without having to open it…exactly what we do now with out traditional ‘slab’ designs but with a comparably compromised screen. To get a similar usage experience, you need to open the phone.

Just my take of course, but I‘d prefer to have less screen (and hopefully less cost and more battery, maybe?). I’d see that cover screen more as an analog to how I use my Apple Watch—can quickly triage notifications or perform quick actions like a voice dictated reply, play/pause audio playback and then open the phone for more complex tasks. If I’m staying on the front cover screen to do what I’d usually do on my iPhone or Pixel, what’s the point?

Looks great and understand how many just prefer for options—don’t have to use it if I don’t want to. Just think it’s wasting resources, IMO.

Oh, and Google, please take note—announced new product, ordered new product and received new product quite quickly. It was an impulse buy by @Aneres11, something that isn’t possible with your latest offerings.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I’d see that cover screen more as an analog to how I use my Apple Watch—can quickly triage notifications or perform quick actions like a voice dictated reply, play/pause audio playback and then open the phone for more complex tasks. If I’m staying on the front cover screen to do what I’d usually do on my iPhone or Pixel, what’s the point?
And this why I don't subscribe to the idea of having a large cover screen for a Samsung Z Flip when nowadays people have smartwatches. If I get an alert or need to do any quick interactions.. I'd rather check my watch if the Z Flip is folded in my pocket.

Reactions: 5105973 and tbayrgs

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
Boxing the Moto RAZR up ready to send back tomorrow. Been in the office all week so haven't had time.
Oooo it is so nice! Typing this on it now. I'm not sad about getting rid, as the camera just isn't up to par for me and I HATE it doesn't bend back properly.

But it is a great device. I just wish that camera was better! 😁

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2008
UK
Boxing the Moto RAZR up ready to send back tomorrow. Been in the office all week so haven't had time.
Oooo it is so nice! Typing this on it now. I'm not sad about getting rid, as the camera just isn't up to par for me and I HATE it doesn't bend back properly.

But it is a great device. I just wish that camera was better!

None of these flip devices seem to have that great cameras as the moment. The examples you posted mostly didn’t seem that terrible to me other than the moving dog one.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
None of these flip devices seem to have that great cameras as the moment. The examples you posted mostly didn’t seem that terrible to me other than the moving dog one.
Well no, but they were mostly in bright daylight and even a budget Chinese phone willl deliver a decent snap in conditions like that.

But after that, it all falls apart. Us in the UK get sunny conditions for all of 3 weeks a year, so it's always a challenge 😜

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2008
UK
Well no, but they were mostly in bright daylight and even a budget Chinese phone willl deliver a decent snap in conditions like that.

But after that, it all falls apart. Us in the UK get sunny conditions for all of 3 weeks a year, so it's always a challenge

Sounds like it’s worth waiting for the Zflip5 then.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
Sounds like it’s worth waiting for the Zflip5 then.
Don't think I will bother with it tbh. I don't love Samsung phones and I think I really miss a telephoto when I don't have it. I NEVER use an ultra wide and don't understand why these manufacturers keep putting ultra wide lenses in. Give me a telephoto any day.

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2008
UK
Don't think I will bother with it tbh. I don't love Samsung phones and I think I really miss a telephoto when I don't have it. I NEVER use an ultra wide and don't understand why these manufacturers keep putting ultra wide lenses in. Give me a telephoto any day.

I imagine it’s easier to fit a ultra wide into a flip phone than it is a telephoto. In fact it may not be actually possible to fit a telephoto into such a form factor without compromising the whole point of the form factor.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
When I first saw an ultra wide offered on an LG phone I went crazy for it because I’d just been to the Air and Space Museum with a cousin and his sons and I was trying to get everyone in front of some kind of rocket and no matter how far back I stepped I couldn’t fit everyone and the rocket into the photo with the phone I had at the time which was probably an iPhone 7 Plus.

Now I could make that shot easily with any of my phones because they all have generous ultra wides.

Meanwhile I’ve got competent digital zooms on my phones. I thought the Pixel 7a digital zoom was bad, but actually in adequate lighting it’s acceptable.

However, I do think 2x optical zoom is desirable because it’s more flattering for portrait shots. If I had to choose now I’d go for the 2x optical zoom.

Reactions: Aneres11
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.