Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ASFx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
I have this really annoying issue where my mouse will randomly double click in OS X when i didn't actually double click my mouse. I had this problem before in Leopard (with different mouse) but now it seems the problem has returned with snow leopard. has anyone else had this problem? I checked the mouse properties and there's nothing strange there. I also don't have custom drivers installed. Just default snow leopard drivers.

Ropie

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2007
England
Do you mean, if you click in one place and then another a second later, and a double click is performed (in the second click place)? I sometimes get this when trying to close multiple browser windows with the X button - the first click will close the top window then the next click a second later will minimize the next window instead of closing (as if I had double clicked the title bar).

It's some sort of lag issue that I remember a patch being released for Tiger a while back. I upgraded from Tiger to SL and the issue seems to be back now.

ASFx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Do you mean, if you click in one place and then another a second later, and a double click is performed (in the second click place)? I sometimes get this when trying to close multiple browser windows with the X button - the first click will close the top window then the next click a second later will minimize the next window instead of closing (as if I had double clicked the title bar).

It's some sort of lag issue that I remember a patch being released for Tiger a while back. I upgraded from Tiger to SL and the issue seems to be back now.

well, i'll do a single click, but it will perform a double click in snow leopard. the second click happens really fast, not even 1 second later.

Here are some examples:

-I'll click on a file to rename it, but it will double click and open the file instead.
-I'll click the "new tab" button in safari, and it will open two new tabs.
-I'll click the top of a window to drag it, but it will double click the window and minimize it instead.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I checked the mouse properties and there's nothing strange there.

That's not useful information for troubleshooting help. Where is the mouse double-click speed set? Have you changed that setting at all to see if that makes a difference? We can't assume you have if you don't say so.

ASFx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
That's not useful information for troubleshooting help. Where is the mouse double-click speed set? Have you changed that setting at all to see if that makes a difference? We can't assume you have if you don't say so.

The double click speed is set towards the high end which is my preference. I have adjusted it to see if that would make a difference, but it didn't

No matter what that's set to though, OS X should not register a double click from left clicking just once. I have a feeling the default mouse driver in snow leopard is buggy. I tried plugging in a difference mouse and am getting the same result.

moebius206

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2009
Same issue here

Using:
- Logitech MX620 cordless laser
- Macbook Pro 15" Unibody (Late 2008)
- OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard - latest update as of this moment)
- 24" Cinema Display
- Apple Bluetooth keyboard

Clicking once sometimes responds as two clicks.
Click + hold (to drag) sometimes responds as two clicks.

Everything worked fine until after the Snow Leopard upgrade.

Tried having the dongle plugged directly into the macbook as well as the cinema display. Same thing.

- Started with the native Snow Leopard drivers, where the issue presented itself.
- Installed older Logitech Control Center, hoping a driver would come bundled with it and resolve the issue. Still occurs (though I did regain some of the mouse's button functionality with Expose and Spaces).
- Installed the new Logitech Control Center specifically for Snow Leopard, and issue still exists. This makes me think it may be an underlying issue with Snow Leopard and I/O rate on the mouse.

Anyone having the same issue, please post your specs so we can track it down. It'll be faster than waiting on the guilty party to stand up.

Thanks.

moebius206

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2009
I have the same problem with a Logitech MX Revolution mouse. It was fine until SL. Any fixes?

After posting yesterday, it occurred to me that I could try nuking all of the logitech preferences, on the off-chance there was some kind of conflict. It's too early to say, but the problem may be gone. At the very least, the frequency has gone down.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
No matter what that's set to though, OS X should not register a double click from left clicking just once, no matter what the speed is set to. I have a feeling the default mouse driver in snow leopard is buggy. I tried plugging in a difference mouse and am getting the same result.

I agree that it should not. You may be on to something. Scour the Apple website to see if it's been reported, and perhaps report it yourself if you don't find anything. Another good test would be to take either mouse (or both) and try it out on a Mac that does not have SL installed.

moebius206

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2009
I agree that it should not. You may be on to something. Scour the Apple website to see if it's been reported, and perhaps report it yourself if you don't find anything. Another good test would be to take either mouse (or both) and try it out on a Mac that does not have SL installed.

I can vouch that the same mouse works perfectly on any mac not running SL. Tested on a iMac G4 and an early 2006 Intel iMac.

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
After posting yesterday, it occurred to me that I could try nuking all of the logitech preferences, on the off-chance there was some kind of conflict. It's too early to say, but the problem may be gone. At the very least, the frequency has gone down.

Could you please clarify how to nuke the Logitech preferences?

Thanks,
Dale

moebius206

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2009
Could you please clarify how to nuke the Logitech preferences?

Thanks,
Dale

Sure.

Be aware that any settings you may have made concerning your Logitech hardware may be reset back to its defaults. In my case, that was the intention!

- In Finder, go to your [home]/Library/Preferences
- Look for any files in here that begin with 'com.Logitech.' and drag them to the trash.
- Empty the Trash.
- Reboot.

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
Sure.

Be aware that any settings you may have made concerning your Logitech hardware may be reset back to its defaults. In my case, that was the intention!

- In Finder, go to your [home]/Library/Preferences
- Look for any files in here that begin with 'com.Logitech.' and drag them to the trash.
- Empty the Trash.
- Reboot.

Cool! I'll try that out when I get home. Thanks

ASFx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
I'm not sure deleting logitech files is a permanent solution to this problem. I have the problem with razer and Microsoft mice as well. I also tried using steermouse with no luck.

moebius206

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2009
I'm not sure deleting logitech files is a permanent solution to this problem. I have the problem with razer and Microsoft mice as well. I also tried using steermouse with no luck.

Ah, then any change is likely coincidence. We can also rule out brands, now.
Were your mice cordless, corded, or both?

ASFx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Ah, then any change is likely coincidence. We can also rule out brands, now.
Were your mice cordless, corded, or both?

So far i've tried these mice and have experienced the same double clicking bug with each one:

Logitech MX revolution - Wireless
Logitech MX 1000 - Wireless
Logitech G9 - Wired
Razer DeathAdder mac edition - Wired
Generic iogear USB mouse - Wired

moebius206

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2009
So far i've tried these mice and have experienced the same double clicking bug with each one:

Logitech MX revolution - Wireless
Logitech MX 1000 - Wireless
Logitech G9 - Wired
Razer DeathAdder mac edition - Wired
Generic iogear USB mouse - Wired

That rules out wireless interference, which was in the back of my mind. The generic mouse also rules out any weird drivers.

At this point, I think we can definitely say it's an underlying snow leopard issue.

moebius206

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2009
Others have probably already done so but I just submitted a bug report to Apple. Will advise when I get a response.

You know, something else to consider: I upgrade to snow leopard from leopard.

Anyone here do a clean install? Just curious, again, if it could be a conflicting setting/driver from the previous install.

ASFx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
You know, something else to consider: I upgrade to snow leopard from leopard.

Anyone here do a clean install? Just curious, again, if it could be a conflicting setting/driver from the previous install.

I did a clean install. For some reason I never feel comfortable doing OS upgrades.

moebius206

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2009
NoGo! I nuked my Logitech settings in the Preferences directory and I still get the double-clicks...:(:(

Yeah, looks like we've concluded that the problem is independent of the type of mouse and any other hardware, third party software, and clean vs. upgrades of Snow Leopard.

Only constant is Snow Leopard itself.

ashrakay

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2008
Same issue

I have this really annoying issue where my mouse will randomly double click in OS X when i didn't actually double click my mouse. I had this problem before in Leopard (with different mouse) but now it seems the problem has returned with snow leopard. has anyone else had this problem? I checked the mouse properties and there's nothing strange there. I also don't have custom drivers installed. Just default snow leopard drivers.

I'm having this exact issue on Snow Leopard and have also tested the mouse on other systems and it works fine.

The interesting thing is that I ran Snow Leopard for weeks with a non-updated Logitech Control Center. Everything worked fine. After updating the Logitech software, the problem began.

I found a post on Logitech's forum:
http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Mice-With-Mac/MX-Revolution-double-clicking/m-p/390631#M2550

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.