Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I am really trying to figure out if I could replace my 14 Pro Max and my iPad Mini 6 with a Fold 4, the problem is I want to keep my iPad Pro 12.9” as well so I am trying to figure out if I can live with the friction that will be there when trying to integrate the two systems. I used to have a Fold 2 but never used it with any Apple products so I know I like the actual hardware.
I use both a Fold 4 and iPad Pro 12.9. I think most attempt to force the Fold into being a tablet replacement, but I personally don't struggle with that. For me, the Fold is a phone period... I like the foldable aspect of it. But I still enjoy having a iPad.

- I will also miss being able to have a tab open on Safari and pull it up on my phone to show the wife later. Can Chrome on Android integrate with Safari on the iPad in any way?
I think Edge would be a better cross-platform browser, since it has ad blocker support... which Chrome lacks. I personally don't see a huge deal in having tabs sync across the Fold and iPad... if there's a specific webpage I want to bookmark I use Google Keep.

I enjoy having Safari on the iPad and Samsung Internet with the Fold.

- I use ”Files” on both my units now so it is easy to scan a document to a pdf with just the press of a button that is instantly available on the iPad. What is the best and fastest way o doing that on Android? Overall having a fast cloud service that works well (fast and reliably) with the file manager on Android as well as “Files” on the iPad.
If you want to scan documents... I believe it's the same process on Android.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Yeah, let’s just say for argument’s sake that Apple isn’t ethical. Pray tell which other company is. If anything, I am even more amused by the people who shout "screw you Apple!" over labour conditions, and then rush to use a Windows PC made in similar conditions, an Xbox made in similar conditions, an Android phone made in similar conditions... it's really just a thinly-veiled attempt to tie their irrational hatred of Apple to a sense of moral superiority.
And this is my point.

All companies have some sort of business practices that people deem unethical... but since Apple is most profitable company, they get the most scrutiny.

Reactions: tbayrgs and jamezr

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
Yeah, let’s just say for argument’s sake that Apple isn’t ethical. Pray tell which other company is. If anything, I am even more amused by the people who shout "screw you Apple!" over labour conditions, and then rush to use a Windows PC made in similar conditions, an Xbox made in similar conditions, an Android phone made in similar conditions... it's really just a thinly-veiled attempt to tie their irrational hatred of Apple to a sense of moral superiority.

It is simple because Apple acts like they care about the environment, workers and working conditions while the other OEM'S don't to the degree Apple does.

Apple also has the money to change things but they don't because a trillion dollars isn't enough.

Talk about moral superiority and listen to anyone who owns anything made by Apple and they will go on and on about how much better there Apple devices are. They are green, they are more secure, they are more private and on and on while most of it is just the trillion dollar marketing machine.

What devices are easier to self repair? Samsung or Apple? How about upgrading ram or ssd later?

No one is saying any corporation is morally superior but at least other companies don't act like they are better while doing the exact opposite.

I like Apple but it doesn't mean that I don't want them to do better. It also doesn't mean they couldn't shift the entire industry to a more ethical and sustainable model but they just want more money and screw everything else. Tim Apple has changed Apple for the worse.

Reactions: gusmula and Annv

Surfsalot

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2023
Whatsapp: considering now whatsapp offer an official way to migrate chat history, this is no longer an issue. Just make sure to get at least a phone with Android ver 12 as the migration to Android only works with Android 12 and up.
Scammers love WhatsApp

CasualFanboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2020

Naaahhh I don't do the concern trolling or pearl clutching. Global corporatism is the most corrupt cabal in history. Apple, though, is particularly disgusting with how they try to create this image that they aren't.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Naaahhh I don't do the concern trolling or pearl clutching. Global corporatism is the most corrupt cabal in history. Apple, though, is particularly disgusting with how they try to create this image that they aren't.
I feel that Apple is pretty clear on what they choose to virtue signal on and what they don't, and I find that a lot of people like to take their claims out of context (eg: being paid to push google search as default in Safari does not preclude users from switching to DDG, as I have). It's free money for Apple, and Apple should take it.

At the end of the day, the main reason why Apple even has a successful ecosystem to begin with (and so many other companies don't) is because Apple is willing to invest in having an ecosystem (while other companies didn't). This is made possible by a clear product vision and a functioning organisational structure that prioritises design (i.e. the user experience), all while the competition continues to demonstrate just how rudderless they are.

When you talk about Apple being selfish and not letting other companies' products play well with their own hardware, what you are really suggesting is that Apple should front all the investment in developing their ecosystem, then give away the fruits of their labour for free.

In the case of services like FaceTime and iMessage, they do cost money to upkeep, and are, in a sense, paid for upfront when the user buys Apple hardware. In this context, it doesn't make sense to open up these applications to non-ios users for free. It's not a matter of ethics. It's basic business 101. Apple is not a charity, and if any other company appears to be, it's only because doing X doesn't cost them any money in that regard.

Google is no angel in this area either, because I was there when they withdrew their Maps support from iOS back when Apple refused to given them access to more location data. The notion that Google is somehow the lesser of two evils here just because their services happen to be accessible on both iOS and android is laughable.

The secret to Apple’s ecosystem is that instead of selling products or services, Apple ends up selling experiences made possible by controlling hardware, software, and services. This is ultimately the biggest challenge facing competitors. It's no longer enough to offer a smartphone, or a tablet, or even a laptop that's marginally better than what Apple has. Instead, competitors need to come up with an even better experience that what Apple's ecosystem offers. And as a user moves deeper into the Apple ecosystem, the list of experiences a competitor has to recreate increases, and they face an uphill battle in tempting a user away from said ecosystem.

And the best part is that to date, I estimate that half of Apple's user base still have only one apple device - an iPhone. This suggests that there is still a huge untapped market for users to delve further into the Apple ecosystem, and purchase more apple products and subscribe to more Apple services in the process. Such a development will remove much of the remaining oxygen from the markets Apple plays in.

The competition has a right to be concerned. Apple’s billion iPhone users aren’t just any billion users. Instead, they are a billion users less likely to use non-Apple devices and services going forward. Everything is proceeding as planned. 😈

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
I feel that Apple is pretty clear on what they choose to virtue signal on and what they don't, and I find that a lot of people like to take their claims out of context (eg: being paid to push google search as default in Safari does not preclude users from switching to DDG, as I have). It's free money for Apple, and Apple should take it.

At the end of the day, the main reason why Apple even has a successful ecosystem to begin with (and so many other companies don't) is because Apple is willing to invest in having an ecosystem (while other companies didn't). This is made possible by a clear product vision and a functioning organisational structure that prioritises design (i.e. the user experience), all while the competition continues to demonstrate just how rudderless they are.

When you talk about Apple being selfish and not letting other companies' products play well with their own hardware, what you are really suggesting is that Apple should front all the investment in developing their ecosystem, then give away the fruits of their labour for free.

In the case of services like FaceTime and iMessage, they do cost money to upkeep, and are, in a sense, paid for upfront when the user buys Apple hardware. In this context, it doesn't make sense to open up these applications to non-ios users for free. It's not a matter of ethics. It's basic business 101. Apple is not a charity, and if any other company appears to be, it's only because doing X doesn't cost them any money in that regard.

Google is no angel in this area either, because I was there when they withdrew their Maps support from iOS back when Apple refused to given them access to more location data. The notion that Google is somehow the lesser of two evils here just because their services happen to be accessible on both iOS and android is laughable.

The secret to Apple’s ecosystem is that instead of selling products or services, Apple ends up selling experiences made possible by controlling hardware, software, and services. This is ultimately the biggest challenge facing competitors. It's no longer enough to offer a smartphone, or a tablet, or even a laptop that's marginally better than what Apple has. Instead, competitors need to come up with an even better experience that what Apple's ecosystem offers. And as a user moves deeper into the Apple ecosystem, the list of experiences a competitor has to recreate increases, and they face an uphill battle in tempting a user away from said ecosystem.

And the best part is that to date, I estimate that half of Apple's user base still have only one apple device - an iPhone. This suggests that there is still a huge untapped market for users to delve further into the Apple ecosystem, and purchase more apple products and subscribe to more Apple services in the process. Such a development will remove much of the remaining oxygen from the markets Apple plays in.

The competition has a right to be concerned. Apple’s billion iPhone users aren’t just any billion users. Instead, they are a billion users less likely to use non-Apple devices and services going forward. Everything is proceeding as planned. 😈

You make some good points but when it comes to text messages I disagree. Texting compatibility across platforms should be fully functional as it is part of the basic function of a phone. When it comes to the other software it is up to Apple but it would also serve as free advertising if people could use say a limited or even a paid service or app for FaceTime and the Airdrop.

But so many Apple users seem so happy that they get to exclude others and have something only Apple users have privy to. Probably another selling point for Apple. Their users get to feel superior by owning a phone.

How does iMessage cost any more than Google messages. It is a part of the basic function of the phone. It is like the phone app. Going to make that incompatible with users other than Apple? That is what it is akin to and it is amazing they can get away with it.

Google is no angel but bring able to track people in Maps helps them have traffic and real time data. Apple Maps does the same thing but of course you can't use it on a Android phone so who would know since the software is proprietary and no can check to see what it is actually doing.

I don't think you have used anything other than Apple products in a while. Samsung offers a very similar ecosystem and their design is not ruderless. If anyone seems a little lost lately it is Apple copying features that have been on Android for years. App shelf, OLED screens, 120 hz screens, hole punch cutout, etc. What recent completely new design feature does Apple have? A Pixel phone can actually answer the phone and screen a call so you don't have to. A Pixel phone can isolate your voice, something Apple just recently added, better speech to text, Android Assistant is way better than Siri, and I can go on.

But sure a locked in ecosystem is great for Apple corporation.

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
I use both a Fold 4 and iPad Pro 12.9. I think most attempt to force the Fold into being a tablet replacement, but I personally don't struggle with that. For me, the Fold is a phone period... I like the foldable aspect of it. But I still enjoy having a iPad.

I think Edge would be a better cross-platform browser, since it has ad blocker support... which Chrome lacks. I personally don't see a huge deal in having tabs sync across the Fold and iPad... if there's a specific webpage I want to bookmark I use Google Keep.

I enjoy having Safari on the iPad and Samsung Internet with the Fold.

If you want to scan documents... I believe it's the same process on Android.

I don’t see much point in having both a fold and iPad mini really, they would serve the same function.

I want to keep using safari on my iPad since it’s the one working the best there, so the question is wether or not I can sync open tabs and such between safari and something on the fold.

The one button scan thing on Android, which cloud service is it using then? I am thinking of trying out the speed of them so I can see if they are fast enough, I usually get annoyed if I take a picture or scan a document and it isn’t available on my iPad once I’ve logged into it.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
More tips

Android has an Airdrop equivalent called Nearby Share, and it is available on any Android phones from version 6 or newer. Once enabled, sharing files between Android devices is as easy as Airdrop. Downside, it’s between Androids only. Look for the icon in the Notification Center, or you might need to add it by customizing what being shown.

This is a great feature that I always use between my S21 and my S7FE tablet. Samsung has their own version that works only between Samsung devices, but the standard Nearby Share works fine. Sometimes I’m amazed that nobody talked much about this, while people keep boasting about Apple’s Airdrop.

Phone Link from Microsoft is another great productivity tools if you use Windows as your computer. It allows you to get text messages and notifications on Windows. On Samsung phones, you get more features like being able to transfer files easily and , the best part, mirror your Android screen right on your Windows desktop, and it is fully functional. You basically operate your Android phone right on your Windows desktop. I believe this only works with Samsung A5x series and higher only though. My S21 is supported, but my M23 is not.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I don’t see much point in having both a fold and iPad mini really, they would serve the same function.
Well, I agree... both the iPad Mini and Fold are similar in size. No point in having both, I was referring to your thoughts on how the iPad Pro 12.9 will fit with a Galaxy Fold.

I want to keep using safari on my iPad since it’s the one working the best there, so the question is wether or not I can sync open tabs and such between safari and something on the fold.
There's no way of syncing tabs with Safari on the Galaxy Fold as far as I know. I know you can import bookmarks... but I don't think it's possible to sync.

The one button scan thing on Android, which cloud service is it using then? I am thinking of trying out the speed of them so I can see if they are fast enough, I usually get annoyed if I take a picture or scan a document and it isn’t available on my iPad once I’ve logged into it.
One button scan? I was under the impression you are using the camera on the iPad that's why I mention it's the same process on Android. And you can sync with OneDrive.

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
One button scan? I was under the impression you are using the camera on the iPad that's why I mention it's the same process on Android. And you can sync with OneDrive.

No I am scanning with my phone and then opening the iPad directly afterwards. The problem I’ve had before when running Android on my phone and syncing to other devices is that OneDrive/Google Drive has been slower than iCloud Drive is and might require 30-60 seconds or so before the file created on one device is available on the other.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I think more so than anything, the dearth of equivalent apps in the android App Store would be enough of a dealbreaker for me.

Just on my iPhone alone, I count the following apps which are, to the best of my knowledge, iOS only.

Overcast (podcast app)
Apollo (reddit client)
Ivory (mastodon client) <- and prior to its death, Tweetbot
Lumihealth (health-tracking app which lets me earn rewards, it was a collaboration between Apple and my country's health authority, and so requires an Apple Watch)
1password (password manager)
Things (task manager)

For a time, Fantastical (while it soon grew too expensive for my tastes, it's still the best calendar app I have interacted with thus far)

And then on my iPad, I have all of the above, plus notability, pdf expert, mindnode and lumafusion.

A number of these apps (things, notability, pdf expert, 1password, mind node) I share across my iPhone, iPad and Macs. Ensuring a consistent experience across all devices.

It's not that I can't switch to android and / or windows. I am just not really sure what I am getting out of this. USB-C charging port is nice, I guess? Ability to torrent? I am not really sold on the folding phone design either.

I think it goes back to my earlier point where it's not enough for the competition to offer a phone that's on par, or even marginally better than the iPhone, spec-wise. You have to beat the entire ecosystem, and I guess that Tim Cook made the right call back in 2011 to double down on precisely that. :)

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
No I am scanning with my phone and then opening the iPad directly afterwards. The problem I’ve had before when running Android on my phone and syncing to other devices is that OneDrive/Google Drive has been slower than iCloud Drive is and might require 30-60 seconds or so before the file created on one device is available on the other.
I use Google Drive to sync files/photos across my devices and I haven't had any problems with syncing.

I think when users are syncing between the iPad and iPhone... its more seamless, theres no effort on the users end. But when I snap a picture with my Fold and upload it to Google Drive. I don't wait for it to show up, the process is much quicker when I go to Google Drive on the iPad and refresh the app.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I think it goes back to my earlier point where it's not enough for the competition to offer a phone that's on par, or even marginally better than the iPhone, spec-wise. You have to beat the entire ecosystem, and I guess that Tim Cook made the right call back in 2011 to double down on precisely that. :)
But the ecosystem is there between Android and iOS... the problem is all that goes into switching and the hassle it could potentially be. To make the switch... not only a user has to spend money, but time as well.

And when people look at all the steps that go into switching that can deter a user from going through with it.

Reactions: Abazigal

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Take the iPhone 14 for example. It is basically a rebranded iPhone 13 with the same price. A year old chip, same camera's, same notch, same everything but they didn't reduce the cost?

I disagree that the iPhone 14 is just a "rebranded" 13 but for those who do feel that way, they can still buy a new iPhone 13 for $100 less.

When they didn't have a Pro line their phones were a better value. You still payed a premium but you got a premium product no matter the size. Now if you don't want to be stuck at 60hz and want a new chip in a new iPhone you have to buy a pro. Not to mention cameras, dynamic island and all the rest. Everyone wants those features, not just Pro's.

iPhone prices have come down, at least after adjusting for inflation. A 64GB iPhone X was $999 in 2017 which is around $1,220 in today's dollars. A larger, much improved iPhone 14 Pro with twice the storage (128GB) is 18% cheaper at $999 today. Even the 64GB iPhone 8 Plus was about the same price (adjusting for inflation) as a larger, much better 128GB iPhone 14 Pro today.

• Wow
Reactions: gusmula

Matsamoto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Halmstad, Sweden
You hit some very good points here @Technerd108 😊👍
I had similar thoughts.
My current setup can you see below.

I had always change my phone every other year, and this is my first time ever not to buy the latest phone, in this case the 14 PM.
The reason? Price tag.
In Europe (Sweden) it’s ridiculous expensive right now. And the rumors saying that next model is gonna be more expensive.
Fun fact: you can get an iPad Pro 12.9 M2 with 256 GB for the same price of 14 PM 128 GB😅
And considering the many bugs I had with iOS 16, (and more people) I actually don’t think the price is justified for iPhones any more. The hardware is maybe justified, but a hardware is only as good as the software😊

So I had the last week considering the Pixel.
And in this case I think Pixel 8 Pro will be a good companion.
I have tried Samsung, Huawei, Xiaomi and OnePlus and I can’t get along with them because of theirs skin over Android.
So the only option for me is the original Android: Pixel.

But as you can suspect I’m quite deeply into the Apple ecosystem, so sell my iPhone and my Apple Watch and buy a Pixel will most likely get me some headache😁 at least in the beginning.

I have my iPad Pro 11 2020 as my “computer” for everything.
I do have a gaming PC with Win 10, but I don’t like Windows, so the only time I use it, it’s when I’m gaming😊
And you said in one of your posts that with only the iPad as the only computer, the iPhone is maybe more needed.

I had said in an another thread that I’m gonna stick with my 12PM until 16 or maybe the 17PM, and that’s a good thing, if I can handle the bad call quality I’m experiencing now, and also change battery.

So summary:
Sell iPhone, Apple Watch and AirPods Pro 2 for a loss, and get “cheaper” products, that may or not work out for me.
Or stick with the current setup and be happy what I have and have patience that Apple maybe is dropping the price for the 16PM or 17PM. LOL!😂

So I really appreciate your tips and help!

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
Well my wife convinced me to not buy the Fold now since I’d just switch again when the Fold 5 comes out in 4 months (if I like the Fold) and that would be a waste :p.

Last edited:

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
Well my wife convinced me to not buy the Fold now since I’d just switch again when the Fold 5 comes out in 4 months (if I like the Fold) and that would be a waste :p.
I agree with her. If you are going to do it might as well get the newest model. The improvements on Foldable phones is rapidly progressing and Pixel is supposed to have a foldable out around then so I am sure Samsung is going to try to continue it's lead in this area.

Just waiting for hopefully a better camera aray and SD 8 gen 2 should be worth it. The phone should do much better on battery and have much better performance.

I mean if you are going to spend that much money on a phone it may as well be the best the market has to offer.

After a few months when the newness wears off of the Fold 4 and the 5 is released you would be regretting the 4 most likely.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I don't think its as simple as that... because if there's a chance to pick up a Fold 4 at a good discount, why not take advantage of it.

And according to rumors there's going to be minor differences between the Fold 4 and 5. I currently have the Fold 4 with plans on waiting for the 6.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
I don't think its as simple as that... because if there's a chance to pick up a Fold 4 at a good discount, why not take advantage of it.

And according to rumors there's going to be minor differences between the Fold 4 and 5. I currently have the Fold 4 with plans on waiting for the 6.
That's what they all said about the s23 ultra.

If it has 30% better battery and 30% better performance than wouldn't that alone be worth it?

I have heard battery life is not that good on the 4. Having decent battery life could make the difference between being usable and having battery anxiety.

There might be better cameras too.

And there might be high trade in value for pre order. Sometimes the discounts on older devices are about the same as a pre order but it depends.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
That's what they all said about the s23 ultra.

If it has 30% better battery and 30% better performance than wouldn't that alone be worth it?

I have heard battery life is not that good on the 4. Having decent battery life could make the difference between being usable and having battery anxiety.
Of course, the S23U is better than the S22U. But if S22U users finds their battery and performance sufficient enough… is there really a need to upgrade?

I can’t speak for those Fold 4 owners who you are referring to, but battery life is good on my Fold 4… obviously, there will be better battery performance on the Fold 5 given the praise Samsung has gotten with the S23U.

There might be better cameras too.

And there might be high trade in value for pre order. Sometimes the discounts on older devices are about the same as a pre order but it depends.
Rumors have stated that Samsung will use the same camera technology in the Fold 4, but I could be wrong. Only concrete information we have to go on is that Fold 5 is said to be lighter, focus on removing the crease and increase in battery & performance.

Djones96

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2022
I’m not as deep into the Apple ecosystem as others, but the deciding factors for me are the AirPod pros, and my Apple Watch ultra. I would easily replace my 14 Pro Max with the S23 Ultra, but I’ve never used any other Bluetooth headphones, and have never used an android smartwatch, and to be quite honest I don’t have any interest in trying the android equivalents of my watch or headphones. I know the AirPods would still work with android, but it’s just not the same, so no thank you.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
I’m not as deep into the Apple ecosystem as others, but the deciding factors for me are the AirPod pros, and my Apple Watch ultra. I would easily replace my 14 Pro Max with the S23 Ultra, but I’ve never used any other Bluetooth headphones, and have never used an android smartwatch, and to be quite honest I don’t have any interest in trying the android equivalents of my watch or headphones. I know the AirPods would still work with android, but it’s just not the same, so no thank you.
Yeah you are right to stick with your iPhone if you want to get the most out of the airpods pros.

I have the airpod pros and the Samsung Galaxy buds pro 2 and the Buds pro 2 work the same on both platforms.

I actually prefer the sound on the buds pro 2. Better bass and overall sound profile. Better fit in my ears.

But there is no right or wrong when it comes to iPhone 14 pro max or s23 ultra. Just use what you prefer.

Djones96

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2022
Yeah you are right to stick with your iPhone if you want to get the most out of the airpods pros.

I have the airpod pros and the Samsung Galaxy buds pro 2 and the Buds pro 2 work the same on both platforms.

I actually prefer the sound on the buds pro 2. Better bass and overall sound profile. Better fit in my ears.

But there is no right or wrong when it comes to iPhone 14 pro max or s23 ultra. Just use what you prefer.
No doubt. I’ve been very tempted to switch to the S23 Ultra, but Apple has me locked into their ecosystem big time. Back when the note 8 came out, I switched from my iPhone to it, but I ended up sending the note 8 back in and going back to iPhone because I just couldn’t adjust to android.

Plus, the whole watch thing, the way I see it their isn’t an android equivalent to the Apple Watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.